I saw people were talking about how their contacts were multiplying and the blame seemed to be on .328. I initially did not have a problem with that, but after a few days sure enough there were hundreds of contacts on my phone.

Now someone said the fix was to delete all your contacts on your Blackberry and then add them back on. What they didn't tell me was when I deleted them out of my Storm it would delete them from my Gmail as well. Stupid mistake, my fault and I should have known better.

I restored my contacts with my backup so everything is cool there. I now have Google sync set to do a sync only when I tell it to. I've synced a couple of times now and no duplications.

Did anybody find out what caused this? I've heard it was BIS. I've heard .328 caused it. I even heard Kevin's grandmother caused it.

Any answers?
    11-03-09 12:10 PM
    Never blame it on grandma! Sorry no help here. I avoided using google sync.
    11-03-09 12:12 PM
    Did you turn on the contact sync in BIS? I did that with gMAIL and it duplicated "some" of my contacts. I cleared them out and shut down contact sync in Goggle Sync and it has been OK since.

b.b.
    11-03-09 12:26 PM
    Did you turn on the contact sync in BIS? I did that with gMAIL and it duplicated "some" of my contacts. I cleared them out and shut down contact sync in Goggle Sync and it has been OK since.

b.b.
    No what I did was set it to sync manually. So far so good. I've done two syncs and no problems.

Are you saying BIS was the cause of this or simply trying to help me with the issue itself. I don't need help with that I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong. I love Google Sync and don't want to give it up.
    11-03-09 12:32 PM
    Are you saying BIS was the cause of this or simply trying to help me with the issue itself. I don't need help with that I'm just trying to figure out what went wrong. I love Google Sync and don't want to give it up.
    Just offering what happened with me. Contact sync is something new between gMAIL and BIS 5.x. I'm trying it out but something seems to be bullocking up the messaging program for me and I suspect it might be that. Each time an email comes in the whole bb freezes up and I just nuked the thing again.

To your issue though, no I was just offering something that happened with me. I love Google Sync too. I use it to sync my bb calendar and it also writes back to my IPOD Touch through the google calendar.

b.b.
    11-03-09 12:40 PM
    I have only had issues with my calendar, not my contacts.

I changed to only sync manually now.

b.b.
    How do you turn on contact sync in BIS?
    11-03-09 02:14 PM
    You do it over at google. Go to your settings and you will see how to do it.
    11-03-09 02:33 PM
    I haven't had this problem, luckily. For anyone who has, are you running the Google Sync app as well as enabling "Sync Contacts" through BIS email setup? If so, maybe that is the problem?
    11-03-09 02:38 PM
    This happened to me with .323, so it's not just a .328 issue.

As for the contacts, I know this doesn't fix the issue, but I just restored my old contact data from my last backup to fix it. I had duplicates and triples and more of some people and others would have the wrong number... talk about a mess.
    11-03-09 02:59 PM
    go into your email options on your phone and edit your gmail account. Under sync, uncheck the sync contacts option. The problem is booth the email account and google sync are set to sync your contacts. This leads to some confusion and they duplicate entries.
    Last edited by NuchDog; 11-03-09 at 03:19 PM.
    11-03-09 03:07 PM
    This happened to me with .323, so it's not just a .328 issue.

As for the contacts, I know this doesn't fix the issue, but I just restored my old contact data from my last backup to fix it. I had duplicates and triples and more of some people and others would have the wrong number... talk about a mess.
    So what did you do to prevent it from happening again?
    11-03-09 03:08 PM
    So what did you do to prevent it from happening again?
    Disabled google contact sync. All of my contacts from my phone are on google, but it is no longer pulling my google contacts into my phone. I'll continue with that until its fixed as it's not a big deal for me.
    11-03-09 03:36 PM

b.b.
    I still don't have this on BIS. What can I do?

You do it over at google. Go to your settings and you will see how to do it.
    On my google account online?

go into your email options on your phone and edit your gmail account. Under sync, uncheck the sync contacts option. The problem is booth the email account and google sync are set to sync your contacts. This leads to some confusion and they duplicate entries.
    I just checked mine and I don't have that option either.

I do have imap set up but it doesn't work.

I wonder if I should delete the account from my phone and set it up again.

I do have no issues with google sync on .328. I have it set to manual as well.

Maybe I should leave all alone.
    11-03-09 03:42 PM
    I've had the same problem with duplicating contacts with BIS contact sync and google sync. I've tried to re-do most of it: restoring contacts from old backup, deleting the duplicates from the phone and from google, turning off wireless sync. None of it has worked so far. The last thing I tried was completely erasing my BB gmail account, so now the phone has no email account set up. When I go to Contacts > Options, under Contact Lists, my google email address is still there, and listed twice! I have no idea how to get rid of it, let alone how two of them got there. I thought that if I could get rid of the connection to my gmail account completely, I might be able to fix it by "starting over", but even without a email account set up on my storm, the contacts are still connected to my gmail address.

Anybody have any ideas?
    11-03-09 04:38 PM

You need to go to Google to see how to set up your account so you can run Google Sync. I think this is at m.google.sync for the actual app but the account needs to be set up so it's not pop.

I'm going to continue to sync my account but I'm going to do it manually and check each sync. If any duplicates occur I will take care of it at that time.
    11-03-09 04:43 PM
    I've had problems synching contacts, no matter what OS. I got to the point where I had dozens of duplicates.
    11-03-09 04:57 PM
    I've had problems synching contacts, no matter what OS. I got to the point where I had dozens of duplicates.
    I had more then dozens. I had hundreds.
    11-03-09 05:47 PM
    contact list, options, general options, allow duplicate names, no

Try that.
    11-03-09 06:23 PM
    contact list, options, general options, allow duplicate names, no

Try that.
    Yeah that makes Google Sync inoperable. You can accomplish the same thing by just unchecking contacts in Google Sync.

Just to be clear I'm not looking for a solution, I was looking for the source of the issue.
    11-03-09 06:26 PM
    i have my contacts synced to my PC, as well as with Yahoo, and i did a custom backup of only contacts and have the .ipd file saved in a few places....lol

as far as the issue, you did the right thing. it's an issue with how the contact "files" are set up. they don't translate from how gmail has them to how the blackberry stores them, they get confused.

when i set up the google BIS sync it overwrote the name of like 5 contacts with the same name, so if i had

jim
    -home
    -work
    -email
    joe
    -cell
    -email
    karen
    -cell
    -work
    -email
    susan
    -cell

it would keep the contact info, but then all would show up as Jim
    11-03-09 06:31 PM

On my google account online?

I just checked mine and I don't have that option either.

I do have imap set up but it doesn't work.

I wonder if I should delete the account from my phone and set it up again.

I do have no issues with google sync on .328. I have it set to manual as well.

Maybe I should leave all alone.

The enhanced gmail feature allows contact syncing. You need to either disable contact syncing in google sync or in your email account settings on your phone (not in gmail)

On your BB, go into email settings. Try the following:
    1) select (Highlight no click) your email account
    2) Choose edit
    3) go to synchronization options
    4) uncheck contacts
    5) repeat for all you email accounts

If that isn't an option, then delete the account and re-add it.

If you are using IMAP access try adding the email as a standard gmail account instead.

Also, if you haven't created your BIS login, you can now do it from inside the email settings. Click the BB menu key and then there should be an option to create you login. Once you do this, you should be able to access your account settings from the BIS page. Choose your carrier and login. If you have trouble call verizon and they will help you set it up.
    11-03-09 07:17 PM
    What do I have to do to get my Calendar to Google Sync? It worked fine before the .328 and now I can't get it to sync at all..........I went into Options/Applications/Google Sync and made sure "Allow" is set for all 3 settings............still nothing.........what else can I do........I must have my calendar!
    11-04-09 12:29 PM
    What do I have to do to get my Calendar to Google Sync? It worked fine before the .328 and now I can't get it to sync at all..........I went into Options/Applications/Google Sync and made sure "Allow" is set for all 3 settings............still nothing.........what else can I do........I must have my calendar!

uninstall the google sync app, clear your device calendar databases via DM, also delete calendar service books, and then re-send service books, then download the app again. should basically be starting from scratch. if that doesn't work still, then idk what to tell you. that would be an app issue. i don't use google calendar. i use yahoo.

in the mean time, you can subscribe for email notifications for calendar events so you know when stuff is happening, or export to yahoo, then use DM to sync your calendar to your phone.
    11-04-09 01:39 PM
    clear your device calendar databases via DM,
    You can clear your calendar simply without DM.

Open Calendar
    Menu Options
    Menu Show Keyboard
    Type "wipe" (doesn't work with Suretype)

I always make sure Default Services Calendar setting is set to my email address too. When it's not I get duplicates.

I guess I did have duplicate Contacts way back when. Simply clean up your Google Contacts. All of my phone contacts are in Google...I don't have any contacts in my phone other than what Google Sync puts there. Since I did that I have never had Duplicate contacts. Also if I add a contact on my phone it adds it to Google with no problems.
    11-04-09 01:51 PM
    I am concerned that doing what is suggested in "clearing the calendar either on DM or not using DM" that all my Emails, contacts and calendar will be deleted........is that correct? If yes, how easy is it to get them back?

Some things I am comfortable doing on my BB but this makes me uneasy as I can't afford not to have my emails, contacts and calendar.

I did delete the Google Sync I had and downloaded it again from a link here in the BB OTA links......upon the reboot I got this error message: "Terminated Google Syne has been denied, "Cross Application Communication" permission.

Thanks for all your help....I really do appreciate it and hope I can get my Storm fully working again very soon.........the only good thing I can see so far with this new update is that my memory stays at 37-39 where before it had serious memory issues.
    11-04-09 02:07 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD