this is intended to be a somewhat self-serving thread, but hopefully others will benefit as well. my first ever blackberry is arriving tomorrow via fedex, and i would like to know (from people with more experience) which apps are absolute necessities. i'm not referring to an app that you personally love, but one that would make the blackberry experience better for anyone. so far i've come up with...

Pandora/Slacker

Facebook/Myspace/etc.

Google Maps

Bolt/Opera Mini

some sort of locking mechanism (not sure which one yet)

Any suggestions?
    11-02-09 06:30 PM
    These are ones I use on a daily basis and/or find very useful.

Facebook
    Poynt - White & Yellow Pages, Movies, Restaurants searches
    ScoreMobile - all sports scores with auto update
    Google Maps
    Pandora
    VideoLight - Uses Camera Flash as Flashlight
    SmartGuard - Backups up device every night and has security/recovery measures
    QuickLaunch - Buggy for S2, but will get fixed
    PatternLock - Nice little program to lock phone with a pattern code instead of text.
    Shazam - Tells you what song you are listening to....not available for S2 yet
    WeatherBug - Can't find it for S2, but should be up shortly.
    TweatGenius - Best Twitter program out hands down.
    QuickPull - Simulates Battery Pull

I use the native browser, as I don't surf the web that much.
    Last edited by TallyHo; 11-02-09 at 07:32 PM.
    11-02-09 07:08 PM
    QuickLaunch is a wonder. Costs money but well worth the fee IMHO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 07:09 PM
    Storm slider is nice app. along with google maps.

What's the difference between pandora and slacker radio
    Last edited by MIKESTANG_SVT; 11-02-09 at 07:17 PM.
    11-02-09 07:11 PM
    I'd say the StormSlider app (as seen on this forum) is an excellent app! I just got it today and I love the locking features of it as I carry mine in my pocket all the time.

I think a good Metering program is great, but I have yet to find one to fully work with the S2. Any ideas?

Oh...I'll also throw a vote for ScoreMobile....AWESOME sports app which I use daily
    11-02-09 07:11 PM
    I'd say the StormSlider app (as seen on this forum) is an excellent app! I just got it today and I love the locking features of it as I carry mine in my pocket all the time.

I think a good Metering program is great, but I have yet to find one to fully work with the S2. Any ideas?

Oh...I'll also throw a vote for ScoreMobile....AWESOME sports app which I use daily
    StormStat isn't bad, depending on what you're looking for. It shows batt voltage, temp, capacity remaining, app mem, ram free and alloc, device pin and ver, and radio signal in dBm.
    11-02-09 07:14 PM
    I use Berry popups and reqall too! Also love QuickLaunch- but still haven't been able to get a new registration code from the Mobihand store or from the developers- even after repeated e-mails. Hmmmmm.......guess I will have to buy it again.
    11-02-09 07:15 PM
    What kind of BB? Pandora or Slacker are both good. I've tried both. I have both FB and Myspace on my S2. I don't have Google Maps because I use the VZ Navigator and I heard mixed reviews that some people say it works w/ VZ Navigator and some say it doesn't. I like the Opera Mini-seems fast to pull up stuffs and I tried Bolt once but didn't care for it, it seemed slow on my S1 and right now for my storm I use the Berryslider. Its a good app and you can decide what things you want to lock...like screen, phone calls, etc. Also you could add a pic to the lock screen. If you want to know more about the app, go to the forums and check out stormslider-berryslider-now-available-storm2 . Best thing to do is try out some of the free apps like Pandora and Slacker and see which one fits you best.
    11-02-09 07:16 PM
    I don't care for the myspace app...I like the browser that's preloaded and I have worked with opera...its ok. Mobile banking is a great app. I use it everyday. I prefer pandora however right now its not working on my s2 so I am using slacker.

11-02-09 07:26 PM
    PATTERNLOCK, ftw!
    StormSlider
    Poynt
    UberTwitter
    FaceBook
    MeterBerry
    QuickLaunch
    BERRYWEATHER!
    11-02-09 07:29 PM
    Patternlock is nice. My favorite app. Locks the phone with a pattern you create.

Scoremobile
    WeatherEye
    Facebook
    DriveSafely-reads texts and emails to you. Love this app.
    BerryBuzz

11-02-09 07:36 PM
    These are apps that I use on a daily basis for productivity. They are a must-have. I have blogged about them on my site and recommend them to all my customers.

* Pocket Informant for BlackBerry (the BEST calendar app available for BB)
    * Forward, Reply & Edit (free app)
    * BerryBuzz (custom LEDs for each account)

Other apps I use...

SocialScope
    Facebook
    11-02-09 07:47 PM
    These are ones I use on a daily basis and/or find very useful.

Facebook
    Poynt - White & Yellow Pages, Movies, Restaurants searches
    ScoreMobile - all sports scores with auto update
    Google Maps
    Pandora
    VideoLight - Uses Camera Flash as Flashlight
    SmartGuard - Backups up device every night and has security/recovery measures
    QuickLaunch - Buggy for S2, but will get fixed
    PatternLock - Nice little program to lock phone with a pattern code instead of text.
    Shazam - Tells you what song you are listening to....not available for S2 yet
    WeatherBug - Can't find it for S2, but should be up shortly.
    TweatGenius - Best Twitter program out hands down.
    QuickPull - Simulates Battery Pull

I use the native browser, as I don't surf the web that much.
    Have you been getting a real choppy scroll when moving through your new tweets list with tweetgenius?? Also Ive been getting a grey screen every so often when loading new tweets. Sound familiar??
    11-02-09 08:09 PM
    I recommend:

BerryWeather
    Quicklaunch
    Garmin
    Stormlock
    Leave It On
    Slacker
    11-02-09 08:10 PM
    These are apps that I use on a daily basis for productivity. They are a must-have. I have blogged about them on my site and recommend them to all my customers.

* Pocket Informant for BlackBerry (the BEST calendar app available for BB)
    * Forward, Reply & Edit (free app)
    * BerryBuzz (custom LEDs for each account)

Other apps I use...

SocialScope
    Facebook

I love pocket informant!!! It works on the storm2?!?

11-02-09 08:36 PM
    Vingo
    Opera
    StormSlider
    Google maps
    Espn
    Crackberry app world
    Poynt
    Youmail voice mail

11-02-09 09:02 PM
    e-GPS-Must have protection for your BB
    QuickLaunch- Must Have to quick launch your apps
    UberTwitter-Best Twitter app
    BBM - Obvious
    Vlingo-Voice recognition, works great
    Youmail-Free Visual Mail

11-02-09 09:07 PM
    I read some reviews of StormSlider saying that it used up a ton of memory and really slowed down the phone. Has anyone experienced this? Is it probable those reviews came from Storm 1 owners? Is there a better alternative locking app?

I also found some terrible reviews of Vlingo, but get this: it was because it doesn't work in OS 5.0 (yet). Somebody gave a zero star review not because the app functioned poorly, but because it hasn't been updated yet. I have a feeling that I'll be wading through some retardedness trying to find reliable information.
    Last edited by idkmybffjill; 11-02-09 at 09:52 PM. Reason: DERP!
    11-02-09 09:46 PM
    Oh yeah, Poynt is awesome. I wanna get Garmin for my S2 and cancel the monthly service for the VZ Nav but when I went on their website they didn't have the 9550 listed yet for the compatibility.
    11-02-09 10:05 PM
    I use patternlock lite for the moment. It actually will automatically enable while the free version of StormSlider will not. Check the review date and if it is before 10/28, it's not a review for the Storm2. StormSlider is fully Storm2 and 5.0 OS compatible now and there is even a thread about it.
    11-02-09 10:05 PM
    I read some reviews of StormSlider saying that it used up a ton of memory and really slowed down the phone. Has anyone experienced this? Is it probable those reviews came from Storm 1 owners? Is there a better alternative locking app?
    I'm running the paid version of the stormslider and so far so good, my phone doesn't seem to be running slow. I also make sure to shut down my apps and delete msgs/clean memory just to prevent my phone from running slow.
    11-02-09 10:13 PM
    The Patternlock works great for me. I have no problems with it.
    11-02-09 10:18 PM
    I do not like pattern lock i prefer storm slider. this is a awesome app. go with the paid version paying 2.99 is not a big deal because this app works great. well developed in my opinion. i also like bing app, sports mobile, weatherbug, and berrybuzz. storm slots is a fun addicting game too
    11-02-09 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD