Could someone please explain why the USA model Storm 2 has lower SAR rating than European one?

I have 9520, my son wanted one but I feel the SAR rating is a little on the high side which makes me think of getting him something else.

Thanks for any insight on the subject.
    11-02-09 04:54 PM
    sar ratings are put out there for people who have no undrstanding of the differences in types of radiation. If it is approved for use then you have nothing to worry about. A cell phone does NOT have the power to cause brain damage through irradiation. Rest easy. Those lists are just put out by alarmists, hypochondriacs, and sheisters.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 05:06 PM
    Cigarettes were approved few years ago.
    11-02-09 05:18 PM
    The vast majority of smokers began smoking knowing full well the risk associated with it... I personaly knew the risks and now suffer them. My idiotic choice though. Worring about SAR Raiting's is like carrying smokes in your pockett and worring that they may give you cancer just being there. SLIM to NONE
    But if you are truly worried and want to make an educated decission about SAR ratings you should research the subject of what SARs can and CAN'T do.

Have fun with you BB
    11-02-09 05:37 PM
    Yes, but you can't get cancer from holding a pack of cigarettes next to your head.

The power required to emit the amount of radiation required to damage human tissue or cause cancer is not present in cellular phones. You get more damaging radiation from spending a day in the sun than talking all day on your cell phone. As somebody that went to school and attained a degree in electronics,I know enough about electronic devices to know that a cell phone will not give you cancer unless you grind it up into powder and SMOKE IT.

Don't promote blind fear and call it "being safe". It is ignorant at best and irresponsible at worst.
    11-02-09 05:49 PM
    LOL, Ok thanks for the info.
    11-02-09 05:54 PM
    Try giving the guy some real information instead of insulting him, OK?

The US runs a stricter SAR standard than Europe. It's 1.6 watts per kilogram averaged over the worst one gram of tissue, rather than 2.0 watts averaged over the worst ten grams. As a result, US SAR numbers appear to come out higher than European ones, even though the Euro standard is more lax. You might have 0.30 watts SAR rating averaged over 10 grams, but that same device might average 0.45 watts over the worst one gram.

So frankly, if a Euro phone runs about 0.7 on SAR and the US phone runs about 1.0, they're both putting out about the same amount of radiation.

If you really want to get into it, the US FCC has manufacturers submit both the Euro and US rating in their reports, which are searchable on the FCC web site for each device.

It is worth keeping an eye on because there's growing evidence to suggest that even the US standard is too lax. The good news is that the Storm 2 runs well below even the US standard, whether you're talking the GSM or the CDMA version.

EDIT -- should add that both the 9520 and 9550 were reviewed by the FCC and the GSM radios in both phones are very, very close to one another. The weakest (i.e. worst SAR) performance was on CDMA 1900MHz.

Best ways of limiting radiation are: use speakerphone, use a Bluetooth headset with the phone not in your pocket but laying out on a table top or something (Bluetooth emits almost nothing in radiation), or focus on text messaging and email. Good thing the younger generation seems to be doing the text thing anyway.
    Last edited by photoeditor; 11-03-09 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Extra info
    11-03-09 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD