After several days of regret for updating to .328, it is now working really well (knock on wood). Battery is keeping it's charge better than ever and the memory is keeping pretty solid, just average leakage. I'm still running a theme and have a few other themes installed. I'm not sure what happened, but things are good right now. Only things I've done since the update are to delete the Gmail app and went through some sort of update process with Desktop Manager (after I updated, 2 or 3 days later, DM wanted to do some other update that didn't take very long).

Anyone else see their .328 experience improving?
    11-02-09 02:39 PM
    Since I got a replacement phone and its not freezing anymore, I think 5.0 is GREAT...
    11-02-09 03:50 PM
    After several days of regret for updating to .328, it is now working really well (knock on wood). Battery is keeping it's charge better than ever and the memory is keeping pretty solid, just average leakage. I'm still running a theme and have a few other themes installed. I'm not sure what happened, but things are good right now. Only things I've done since the update are to delete the Gmail app and went through some sort of update process with Desktop Manager (after I updated, 2 or 3 days later, DM wanted to do some other update that didn't take very long).

Did this happen recently like in the last 36 hours? becase I notice it today and was going to post about it but forgot. Its really fast, and its reminding me of .323.....I dont know what they did, but I think it has something to do with that browser. Browsers like.....a brain or something.
    11-02-09 03:53 PM
    OS updates are funny I remember 148 seemed to take a few days to settle in to the phone.....I don't know if this makes any sense....also there seems to be a bell curve with the storm.....first your wowed then you notice some bugs so you get pissed and then you come to a happy median and you like your phone again.....I did not however see or hear about this update now I'm interested.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 03:58 PM
    I love my 5.0.0.328!!!!! The OS is the BEST one that has been out for the Storm 1! I fell in love with the phone all over again. The other leaks and hybrids have been good (for the most part) but this new 5.0 ROCKS!!! I imagine there are a lot of other people out there that can agree with me on that.
    11-02-09 04:02 PM
    I love my 5.0.0.328!!!!! The OS is the BEST one that has been out for the Storm 1! I fell in love with the phone all over again. The other leaks and hybrids have been good (for the most part) but this new 5.0 ROCKS!!! I imagine there are a lot of other people out there that can agree with me on that.
    way to knock it off topic. Were trying to figure out if anyone has noticed a slight change in performance recently. It could mean that the new 5.0 integrations from the browser are affecting performance. and can be controlled through browser with updates...
    11-02-09 04:06 PM
    Honestly mine has been running great since I installed the new App World update yesterday morning. I no longer have memory leak. The yahoo messenger bug is now gone. Its taken a few days, but this OS seems to have really settled in well.
    11-02-09 04:12 PM

Yes, its gotten better. I, too, had two experiences of updates from my DM AFTER the .328 update. They deal with screen background 360x480 and ringtones. Both are .cod file updates.

However, after the latest one, I started seeing errors on my Storm when I put it in the charger unit. It would say that it could not charge the battery, and that likely it lost connections. I went through several things, then found for the last two days my PC has been hanging overnight (Vista 64-bit). I even had a couple of blue screens of death. Today, it seems better, after I had to force it to shutdown and come back up. It came up better today than yesterday. Yesterday my PC was sluggish as ****, and then, of course, it crashed overnight. Will see how it goes tonight! I'm concerned that some update to the DM has caused a serious issue with my PC. It might even be something up with the driver for the Storm charger's USB. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I hope this helps others as well during our .328 updates.
    11-02-09 04:13 PM
    Yes, its gotten better. I, too, had two experiences of updates from my DM AFTER the .328 update. They deal with screen background 360x480 and ringtones. Both are .cod file updates.
    That is a DM bug. Been around for a loooong time. It does not indicate any sort of actual update on the BB.
    11-02-09 04:42 PM
    Yes, I noticed something happened last evening. I reported this in another thread, but after doing the official update I could not longer tether my phone. Verizon Tech told me it was a known problem and they were working on it. Said it would be "pushed" so I would not have to do an update when it was ready. Last night I was driving and in the dark I noticed that my phone suddenly rebooted. It had not done this since installing the update. Later, I tried tethering and it was now working fine. So, something has definitely changed.
    11-02-09 05:21 PM
    If anything mine is the same if not worse. Its rebooting like crazy when I watch too many videos. And I don't have my charge icon. Might be theme related idk

11-02-09 05:31 PM
    OS updates are funny I remember 148 seemed to take a few days to settle in to the phone.....I don't know if this makes any sense....also there seems to be a bell curve with the storm.....first your wowed then you notice some bugs so you get pissed and then you come to a happy median and you like your phone again.....I did not however see or hear about this update now I'm interested.

I like this reply

YES to answer your question - honestly after the DM update a day after OS install that pretty much tied some loose ends.

Memory is steady holding @ 20mg, +/- .5mg
    Battery is @ 80% after 12 hours of usage, including browsing
    Found fixes for my 3rd party app issues
    Overall performance has been good except the occasional "glitch" "bug" "spaz" whatever you want to call it when the screen apon refresh messes up.

5.0 never really bothered me from the start, only what others have been experiencing has got my attention.

Dimming issue is the ONLY problem with mine atm but over the week I've had it, it seems to be getting better -

AND to the above poster, the "update" you are referring to or questioning about, are you talking about the DM update? I installed 5.0 after I received a message via txt and then about 36 hours later after plugging my phone into my PC while DM was up, it requested a "core" update, took about 30min.
    11-02-09 06:01 PM
    However, after the latest one, I started seeing errors on my Storm when I put it in the charger unit. It would say that it could not charge the battery, and that likely it lost connections.
    Hmmm....I went to .328, and suddenly for some weird reason, both my car charger and home charger would not charge until a battery pull. I went back to .323, now considering going back to .328.
    11-02-09 06:11 PM
    First two or three days after installing 328, memory was dropping into the mid teens. Now, after a week, it is bottoming out in the mid twenties, and indeed there has been a perceived, corresponding improvement in performance.

But IME that has not been an unusual occurrence in the past after installing a new OS.

As time goes by you also start noticing new bugs ...
    11-02-09 06:18 PM
    I agree. 5.0.0.328 is settling very nicely on my Storm and the overall improvement over 4.7 is striking. The only real problem I had was the occasional dead link in plain text emails which I solved with the installation of "Forward, Reply and Edit" program which now allows me to activate the dead link when needed.

On a side note, this weekend, I got myself all worked up to find a way to get an early upgrade to a Storm2. Today I went up to the Verizon store to fondle one for the first time. It was very nice, but I swear I didn't see a huge difference in the screen operation. I was expecting this fantastic difference, but it just wasn't there. Maybe its because I've generally liked the touch and press on the Storm1, and because I've been lucky to have a screen that has always performed as designed. I like the WiFi idea, but after the test drive, I think I can happily wait for my NE2 renewal next July.

BTW, I don't know if anyone else experienced this, but I installed Bing and immediately got a pretty substantial memory leak. It disappeared as soon as I deleted the program. Otherwise I'm holding in the low 20's with quite a few apps installed. Battery life has been good too.
    Last edited by richs10; 11-02-09 at 08:05 PM.
    11-02-09 08:01 PM
    Everything seems to be working great, except the barry drains very fast. How do i maintain the battery longer? Shoud i update and reinstall the .328??
    EDIT: Also random things will show up and install on my phone automatically, ie:bing, v-cast.......
    Thanks
    Last edited by Lowefx; 11-02-09 at 11:28 PM.
    11-02-09 11:23 PM
    Never had a bad memory leak. I've been stable at 30mb for almost a week and use my BB religiously and still no battery pull in almost a week. Lowest I've seen my app memory was 29.9mb.

11-03-09 01:12 AM
    On a side note, this weekend, I got myself all worked up to find a way to get an early upgrade to a Storm2. Today I went up to the Verizon store to fondle one for the first time. It was very nice, but I swear I didn't see a huge difference in the screen operation. I was expecting this fantastic difference, but it just wasn't there. Maybe its because I've generally liked the touch and press on the Storm1, and because I've been lucky to have a screen that has always performed as designed.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I tried the Storm 2 at the Verizon store by work today and I thought it was OK but not really worth the upgrade. My "guy" at the store said the Droid is going to be bad assed and if I am going to try to swap phones to wait.
    11-03-09 01:24 AM
    I am not any more impressed with 328 now than I was the day it became official and I loaded it. I have freeze ups and several reboots in just a short week, of which I almost NEVER had on 167. I am debating whether or not I want to keep it on the phone.

167 was much more stable for me.
    11-03-09 04:39 AM
    .328 has been a literal nightmare for me.

I wiped and installed .328 right when it came out. I then spent the next 3 days being shuffled back and forth between different tiers of tech support before finally being forwarded to the engineers I was without any kind of data for 3 days. 1x only. Even now a battery pull will leave me without a connection until it finally decides to work. Battery life is subpar at best.

I gave up trying to wipe/reload it due to being without data for the next 12 hours. Even after countless battery pulls resending service books ect ect ect

I ended up having to load a full OS and now am bogged down with countless verizon apps I don't want or need.

Memory better managed by a single celled lifeform with a wrench. I'll start at 35 in the morning and be in the lower teens 5 hours later. Mind you this is with only facebook and opera 4.7 because I cant use opera 5 anymore.

Honestly I love my storm. I've dealt with the bugs from the leaks but this one is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. Hopefully a new leak will come out soon. Although I suppose it doesn't matter. There is a storm 2 in my future.

/rant

I forgot to add the random reboots and the lack of theme compatability and now I cant just view my MMS like I could on .191 .230 .323 no I have to log into mymedia axcess or something along those lines using a 6 digit passcode that can only be used once and half the time doesnt work. No sound at random times despite being on the loud profile.

/rant again
    Last edited by MikeLPN; 11-03-09 at 05:05 AM. Reason: I forgot!
    11-03-09 05:01 AM
    I don't understand why some of you guys are having so much trouble with 328? I'm on my Storm almost all day and don't have lock ups or freezes or random reboots.

11-03-09 05:07 AM
    Wow, MikeLPN.
    You're certainly are having a terrible time with that phone. I just don't understand how an OS can act so differently on the same model phone. Did your Storm run well under 4.7?

You might want to see if you can exchange the device. Especially if you are approaching your one year end of warranty.

Good luck, Rich
    11-03-09 05:45 AM
    the lockups are a hardware issue that certain phones have with 5.0. you need to get a replacement from verizon that already has 5.0 loaded on it. once i did that, i liked .328 much better. once we get a plazmic update i'll be happy with it.
    11-03-09 01:37 PM
    I didnt have a memory leak, i have a battery leak. it maybe lasts one day now. i could use it for 3 days on .2xx
    11-03-09 04:30 PM
    Hmmm....I went to .328, and suddenly for some weird reason, both my car charger and home charger would not charge until a battery pull. I went back to .323, now considering going back to .328.
    are you using OEM chargers? I had an issue with an aftermarket charger I had laying around locking my phones touch screen up. OEM never had a problem though.
    11-03-09 04:37 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD