I'm just a little confused with the whole HSDPA and HSDPA+ speeds and what not. So the 9700 has HSDPA but its limited to 3.6mbps? so when 7.2mbps and HSDPA+ comes around, will I have to end up buying a new phone? or is the limitations merely software locked. Thanks in advance for anyone who can clear this up for me.
    11-02-09 01:56 PM
    It will only be available to the phones that have the hardware to support the new service. The 8900 does not support HSDPA, so yeah, you would have to get a new phone that supports this.
    11-02-09 02:01 PM
    I'm just a little confused with the whole HSDPA and HSDPA+ speeds and what not. So the 9700 has HSDPA but its limited to 3.6mbps? so when 7.2mbps and HSDPA+ comes around, will I have to end up buying a new phone? or is the limitations merely software locked. Thanks in advance for anyone who can clear this up for me.
    I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that HSDPA is up to 7.2. Some networks may only support up to 3.6mbps, and at the moment I think Vodafone is only network that does offer up to 7.2 in UK.
    11-02-09 02:02 PM
    As I understand it, the 9700 will only support up to 3.6mbps. However HSDPA at 7.2 is backwards compatible with 3.6mbps handsets - so the 9700 will work with the upgraded network, but will still be limited to 3.6mbps.
    11-02-09 02:05 PM
    word on the street is HSPA+ devices are coming next year. The 9700 will only support up to HSPA. This is a hardware restriction.
    11-02-09 02:05 PM
    +1, and it will depend on which brand you get
    11-03-09 08:29 AM
    TMO, will be different from ATT for example. BC of the bands they have
    11-03-09 08:30 AM
    Here is what telus is saying about speeds and its new network:

Facts about TELUS� HSPA+ network:

* Will run on 1900/850 MHz frequency bands and uses standard 3GPP SIM cards.
    * Will offer theoretical peak download speeds of 21.6 mbps and 5.76 upload speeds.

Actual speed may vary by device and due to congestion, distance from the cell, local conditions, hardware, software and other factors, therefore typical speeds will range from 4-6 mbps (download) and 2-4 mbps (upload).
    11-03-09 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD