Boy Genius Report

Since we were the first ones to break the news about a touchscreen BlackBerry device, it�s only fitting that we follow up and give y�all the real lowdown on it! This is going to excite a lot of people, but anger many. Are you ready? The BlackBerry Thunder, as it is codenamed now, (all you "reporting" on it as the Storm are incorrect) will launch in Q3 of this year. It is a full touchscreen BlackBerry � no slide out keyboard � with only 4 physical keys. Those are the send / end phone keys, the BlackBerry menu key, and the back key. Here is the most interesting part, though: it will launch as a worldwide lifetime exclusive on Verizon and Vodafone! We�ve heard the unit will be a hybrid device with CDMA EV-DO Rev. C (for clarification, Rev C., known as UMB is practically dead. If the device will indeed launch with a 4G solution, our bet is on LTE), and GSM HSPA for traveling internationally. Verizon and Vodafone will have the same unit. Currently, the model number is the BlackBerry 9500, though it�s very early and that�s likely to change. This is HUGE for the Verizon lovers. For once they�ll get an exclusive device, but Verizon will have a sales quota for the device and if they don�t meet those numbers, we�ve heard the exclusivity will then dissolve and it�s over. This will be extremely interesting to see play out.

05-13-08 10:15 AM
    Lifetime exclusive on Verizon.... that just wouldn't make any sense. I'm still not sure I would want a touchscreen only device.
    05-13-08 10:22 AM
    Excellent news that its a touchscreen. But WHY a lifetime exclusive with Verizon!!!???? That makes no sense to me.
    05-13-08 12:49 PM
    This is getting really interesting. In the same case/form/shape type thingy we now have three different phones.

The touch screen is not for me but there's loads who will like it.

Now if they will just release the phone + coffee maker, I'm all set.
    05-13-08 01:06 PM
    FINALLY...something to make us Verizon users happy (and first for once)
    05-13-08 03:57 PM
    Didn't I read a New York Times article where the CEO complained that he couldn't type on the iphone b/c of the virtual keyboard? After that I really was expecting a hybrid device. I have to say I'm let down...
    05-13-08 08:16 PM
    The CEO does have big thumbs. They will continue to make devices with keyboards.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-08 01:20 AM
    lifetime exclusive on Verizon??!!?? that's so ********....
    05-14-08 09:01 AM
    although i'm scared of touchscreens, i think this makes me happy...yay finally something for Verizon...
    05-14-08 09:15 AM
    I love the touchscreen! I would much prefer the hybrid with a slide out keyboard as well. I like having the flexibility.
    05-14-08 10:32 AM
    I hope half the screen isn't just virtual keyboard and half is video screen. That would be stupid. Imagine if this screen can be fully used and looks as good as the 9k does now. That would be nice. God, I really hope the bottom isn't a static virtual keyboard.
    05-14-08 10:34 AM
    I don't understand why so many people want these hybrid devices. Voyager, Glyde, etc..they're all SO bulky.
    05-14-08 10:52 AM
    Exclusive to Verizon?? I doubt that, they bare got the curve a week ago.
    05-14-08 10:53 AM
    I'm just excited about this because it will be on Verizon! I don't care about exclusivity necessarily, but Verizon just HAVING it first/simultaneously with other carriers is amazing.
    05-14-08 02:45 PM
    lol i hear you there!

Im looking forward to seeing how RIM does it, I'm sure it'll be well thought out and put together.
    05-14-08 03:35 PM
    Hhhhmmm. Ill wait until I see it for myself. Too many rumors floating around. I don't know how long I can take it

05-14-08 03:47 PM
    I don't understand why so many people want these hybrid devices. Voyager, Glyde, etc..they're all SO bulky.
    this is the same size as the pearl and its hybrid

Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 Wi-fi/HSDPA/A2DP Bluetooth Enabled Quadband Smartphone on Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional with 3MBpixel, QWERTY keyboard, GPS Receiver, FM Radio, MP3 player, microSD Slot - OEM Factory Unlocked
    05-14-08 03:47 PM

Well, in my opinion, if it wasn't bulky--a la the voyager or glyde--then it would feel flimsy. Don't you think something as skinny as the Pearl would feel awkward having two layers?

Why is that any more ******** than the iPhone have exclusivity on AT&T? The iPhones exclusivity is not "lifetime," per se, but rumored to be around 5 years, by which time something bigger and better will have definitely come around (perhaps in the form of THIS BlackBerry). Verizon is the 2nd largest American provider to AT&T, and only by a couple million--it has far more subscribers than Sprint or T-Mobile.
    05-14-08 05:58 PM
    No doubt this to to put an iPhone killer in the opposite camp of ATT. Exciting, though I'll have to wait as I only just got myself a beautiful Curve.

05-14-08 11:09 PM
    This might be just the ticket to get a friend of mine on board the BlackBerry bus lol. He always talks about how great the iPhone he doesn't have is ::rollseyes:: Maybe this will push him over the smartphone edge and into the BlackBerry camp as well.

05-15-08 01:20 AM
    I thought they said the samething about the Iphone at first.
    05-15-08 01:32 PM
    I thought they said the samething about the Iphone at first.
    I don't think they iphone was ever exclusive for life. I thought it was a 2 year deal, but i've also read 5 years, so i'm not sure which it really is.
    05-15-08 05:30 PM
    It would be almost impossible for at@t to sell the phone as competition with the iphone. Good for Verizon. Now bring on the Bold

05-15-08 06:03 PM
    It wouldn't be smart business sense for AT&T to fight to get this device. T-mobile on the other hand may be watching the quotas for RIM in regards to Verizon having to meet them.

I would so get this device if it were US 3g/HSPA.
    05-15-08 11:02 PM
    Well, in my opinion, if it wasn't bulky--a la the voyager or glyde--then it would feel flimsy. Don't you think something as skinny as the Pearl would feel awkward having two layers?

Why is that any more ******** than the iPhone have exclusivity on AT&T? The iPhones exclusivity is not "lifetime," per se, but rumored to be around 5 years, by which time something bigger and better will have definitely come around (perhaps in the form of THIS BlackBerry). Verizon is the 2nd largest American provider to AT&T, and only by a couple million--it has far more subscribers than Sprint or T-Mobile.

its ******** because verizon is

1. way overpriced
    2. cripples the **** out of phones and makes you pay for stuff that should have been free
    05-16-08 09:51 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD