Hey guys my question is what makes a phone a certified like new? Are you getting some scratched up phone... Also honest with the storm if it's a returned phone has the storm been out long enough to really have had that many turned in? I mean are they so cheap they can't give you a phone with the back and battery i understand not giving you new headset/case/sd card etc but anyways.... I was just curious if anyone knew the specs that make it "CERTIFIED LIKE NEW". Also our verzions here are always packed is that a good thing or bad??? lol
    11-01-09 07:57 PM
    Oh Boy. It comes down to that particular companies standards. There is no set "rules" so read you contracts.....'Like new" is fancy for "used passing QC"
    11-01-09 08:02 PM
    It is Like new. as in you wont tell the difference if you didnt know. They take a warranty replaced phone, fix it up (inside) put it in a new housing, and give it to you as a warranty replacement. You will be happy. Is this a Storm 1 or 2?
    11-01-09 08:32 PM
    I wish people didn't know. I swear people just find problems when they know their phone is CLN
    11-01-09 09:14 PM
    lol you must be a service tech or someone who works for a carrier....
    11-01-09 10:00 PM
    I agree with weekend if you say we're sending out a clnr they are apprehensive and think we are screwing them. But if you say "NEW" phone just once they're all psyched like they are getting a hookup.
    11-02-09 09:00 AM
    Pretty much...
    I agree with Weekend... if we didnt HAVE to admit that it was certified like new we'd have a lot less callbacks saying that they are disfunctional BECAUSE they are not BRAND new.
    I know my bf has that feeling and hates getting replacements because he swears that "referbs" are disfunctional.
    I've never had an issue with the ones I've gotten and been completely happy..

Its all phycological... (I so misspelled that)
    11-02-09 09:11 AM
    when it comes to warranties though, replacements should be 100% new in my view and in the box.

Insurance claims might be a bit different but a warranty issue means that it was the fault of the manufacture and the courtesy for your trouble should be a trouble free new replacement
    11-02-09 12:32 PM
    when it comes to warranties though, replacements should be 100% new in my view and in the box.

Insurance claims might be a bit different but a warranty issue means that it was the fault of the manufacture and the courtesy for your trouble should be a trouble free new replacement
    I think that if someone is paying for the extended warranty 1.99 a month. Then sure brand new.
    But if you aren't paying extra for the warranty then how can you complain when its not brand new.
    11-02-09 12:36 PM
    Yeah see the phone i'm having replaced messed up was do to no fault of mine and i am paying for a warranty.. .I do like the idea of being able for my insurance company tto cover my phone thou...
    11-02-09 02:36 PM
    But if you aren't paying extra for the warranty then how can you complain when its not brand new.
    I think the standard verbiage for electronic equipment reads something like...

"We will repair or replace at our option..."

It is no different here.
    11-02-09 02:52 PM
    It would be such a waste of phones to send out brand new ones everytime a warranty problem occured. It would increase costs on Verizon which would increase cost on the customer. Sending out brand new phones is a bad idea. Even with the $1.99 its a horrible idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 02:56 PM
    I think the standard verbiage for electronic equipment reads something like...

"We will repair or replace at our option..."

It is no different here.
    Yeah this is our option...
    11-02-09 02:58 PM

I think totally different. Warranty should be used, insurance should be new. Think of it this way. You buy a new truck that you are paying $999 a month for (cause thats normally the argument here). Its defective in some way and you take it back to the dealership. Would you expect them to be like "oh sorry for the f--- up on our part..... here's a new truck"?

No different
    11-02-09 03:06 PM
    I think totally different. Warranty should be used, insurance should be new. Think of it this way. You buy a new truck that you are paying $999 a month for (cause thats normally the argument here). Its defective in some way and you take it back to the dealership. Would you expect them to be like "oh sorry for the f--- up on our part..... here's a new truck"?

No different
    problem with a new device on insurance is that u can just break ur phone on purpose and expect a new one fresh in the box. I can see that causing problems.

But warranty, thats defect issues that puts an inconveniance on you, the customer. Fixing the issue in my view requires a new device given that the defect was the company error (RIM), not the customer.

As for your analogy, I agree that devices should be attempted to be fixed first.... but once its deemed that a replacement is required, I expect new. Same for a car. I would not expect another used car if my vehicle is not fixable (even though we know this will never be the case). Maybe its a better comparison if we break it down to the actual parts themselves...

then again, once the dealer gets that car in the garage, no one knows whats new or old

Toyota replaced my wiper pads and actually replaced the entire arm with one of their junk arms. A few days later when it rained, my wipers made a horrible sound against my windshield. First I thought it was the new rubber. Well it turns out that they replaced the entire arm with a junk one and kept my nice clean one. It was all bent out of shape which is why it made such a horrible sound. Get into engine issues and one TRULY will ever know!

guess the same works with food huh?
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-02-09 at 08:16 PM.
    11-02-09 07:37 PM
    most people dont even notice its a 'furbished phone. if everytime someone did something to their phone and just wanted a new one, do you have any idea on how much higher verizon's rates would go up?
    i wish people (not sayin the one who posted originally)
    would quitcha bitchin
    11-02-09 07:42 PM
    its only bitchin when u label it as such

until then, its all .... duscussion
    11-02-09 07:53 PM
    I'm just glad you don't run Verizon rican.

11-02-09 08:11 PM
    dont worry, might stature in private industry doesnt reach that far.... so ur safe
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 11-02-09 at 08:23 PM.
    11-02-09 08:13 PM
    Whew. Lucky me and all other Verizon employees who enjoy their jobs.

11-02-09 09:33 PM
    As for your analogy, I agree that devices should be attempted to be fixed first.... but once its deemed that a replacement is required, I expect new. Same for a car. I would not expect another used car if my vehicle is not fixable (even though we know this will never be the case). Maybe its a better comparison if we break it down to the actual parts themselves...
    The device is repairable and you can keep your original phone. Just send it to RIM and have them send it back to you a few weeks later.

Only 30% of warranty claims are legit claims. The rest could have been fixed over the phone or in store.

A good point to note: The phone that is giving the customer issues for the first time was a BRAND NEW phone. So obviously that brand new label doesn't mean much if the phone malfunctions anyway.
    11-02-09 09:59 PM
    bottom line of it all is that VERIZON screwed up my phone with there lovely customer service and the phone was broke at no fault of my own.. So because of there screw up i'm forced to get what "MIGHT" be a phone less then what i had. I don't know i just think there's something nice about knowing i'm the only one to ever use this phone. The truck comparison is way outta line and heck with this economy the dealerships are giving guarantees.. lol I also understand people breaking the phone and so if that's the case just make the guidelines more clear.... really dumb if you ask me why in the heck would you break your phone knowing your getting a certified like new phone... lol ne ways just my two cents

Why offer insurance if your not gonna honor it and also isn't there a difference between getting a phone off of insurance and getting on due to faulty phone due to blackberry.. the phone i had was brand new and i protected it like a baby lol best cover you can buy and also zagg screen covers lol..
    11-02-09 10:08 PM
    u missed my point (if u were refering to my point). I think an insurance claim may warrant a refurb device because there are people who will break their device half way through just so they can get a fresh new "in the box" device. I see the corruption in that.

But a legit warranty issue is different. If its not repairable and deems that a replacement be issued, I don't see how CS can justify a "like new" device. Its your money! You paid for a "new" phone! Now you get a refurb after you paid for new?

To me its just common sense. With insurance, you should be covered! But when its your fault, meaning you dropped it, soaked it, blended it, whatever, it can turn into a scam if they gave out new devices like hotcakes under those conditions
    11-02-09 10:15 PM
    To the OP, if you can tell the difference, congratulations. I didn't know that the phones in the plain brown boxes behind the counter at vzw were refurbished until someone told me they were. I thought they were just new phones packaged without the accessories

11-02-09 10:19 PM
    How did Verizon Wireless screw your phone up? You wouldn't have been in the store if your phone wasn't already screwed up. Oh and it showing as a different device didn't make a bit of difference.

The CLNR are put through over 100 different tests and basically brand new. I would rather have a CLNR than the usual QC that RIM has.

If you believe that VZW should give out brand new phones, then your sense of economics is flawed. There is not one cell phone company out there that will provide you with a brand new phone for warranty replacement outside of 30 days.

The phone you will get should have brand new casing and not beat up or scratched up. It is a working device.

And if for some reason 2 phones in 90 days is your bad luck, then you can multi-fru it and get a brand new phone of the same model. There are measures in place to ensure that you don't get stuck with a POS.

Your problem is not even that big of a deal. It could probably be fixed by a tech rep that actually knew what they were doing. Your service books were not on the device and that's why it was missing browser icons and such.
    11-02-09 10:22 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD