Okay, back when I was a pretentious iPhone owner, I gave a friend of mine a lot of flack for having a "FlipBerry." I said he had the V-Tech of BlackBerrys. I couldn't understand the concept of it. The jokes were endless. He started to get a bit defensive, as would any loyal phone owner. I'd do the same if someone tried to talk about my (at the time) precious iPhone. Regardless, his "FlipBerry", by the makers of V-Tech, has completely outlasted mine. He's dropped it and crashed it by trying to add a theme and it's up and running. I guess he won the test of time while also converting me to being a BlackBerry owner.

Even if his phone does look like crap compared to the one I bought my dad.

(Friend's to the left. Dad's to the right.)

That was a part of the joke: "FlipBerrys are only for hip parents." Ah, I had a good time laughing at his phone. Now he's getting the last laugh because of my iPhone situation.

I guess my question is: How would you rate your BlackBerry Flip?

I don't know many people with them besides my dad and my friend. Dad doesn't count, lol. He doesn't even know how to use the thing.
    11-01-09 11:12 AM
    Rate it based on what? Longevity, battery life, browser, call quality, etc? Or just on how well users like it?
    11-01-09 09:50 PM
    Rate it based on what? Longevity, battery life, browser, call quality, etc? Or just on how well users like it?
    Overall, you know? Exactly, "how well do the users like it?" I'm interested, because I'd like to buy my mom one. LOL! Believe I'm regifting! I can't really keep track of my father's usage because he lives in Florida and he's usually traveling around the US. I just know he's against anything that does more than call. Old fashioned. My friend is REALLY into his phone. He swears it's the best thing since sliced bread.
    11-01-09 11:44 PM
    Overall I really like my Flip. It just works. I've had a few BlackBerries and I also have an iPhone (for the wifi) and I quite like my Flip. The browser on the iPhone blows the BB away obviously, but when it comes down to typing an email or text, I'd rather do it on the BB! There's a thread in this forum called Convince Me to Get a Flip (or something like that) that has people's opinions on their Flips. Have you tried out the SureType on the Flip? If you're coming from an iPhone you might not like that part, I'd try one out first!
    11-02-09 05:51 AM
    if this phone worked as it is supose to i would absolutly love it. but it dont. i have had it about 3 months and it is not as it should be. first the constant rebooting. when it does this you cant use the phone for sometimes 30 mins. and it does it several times a month. then sometimes it just cuts off ... i look in my purse and its off i dont know why. then there is the short battery life. if you use it at all you have to charge it. my razor lasted for days at a time.sometimes i can connect to wi fi sometimes i cant. no clue it just dont. then recently my external display just stopped working after one of the many reboots. id like a phone that just works. period.
    11-02-09 04:02 PM
    I'm a converted Curve to Flip user, I like it cause of the new OS (had curve 8310) and the size. Only thing I don't like about the flip is the occasional lag from CPU to OS on these flips, other then that, I love it.

As for the IPhone I really don't have any interest getting one, I know more people getting out of those things rather then getting into them. I have my Flip and an Ipod Touch, it's really the prefect pair. The problem with having the phone and a pda all in one is when you are on the phone and you need to look up something on your pda, you have to disengage from the phone to see the screen unless you have a headset and I don't always have mine on especially when I'm buildings. Plus, I find the Iphone too big to put up against my ear, look like I'm talking to a shoe box, I even though my Curve was too big as a phone.

My 2 cents.
    11-02-09 04:37 PM
    Haven't had any real problems with mine. Had to reload the os but that was because of third party software. Don't like what the carrier did to the GPS. I have the 8230 not the 8220.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 04:53 PM
    I thought it was a silly phone. I actually sold the one I got to my buddy. A few days later I saw it sitting on the table, so I picked it up, and was IMMEDIATELY SHOCKED by how friggin light, and how gorgeous the screen was.

This is one seriously beautiful phone. QUITE impressed with it. I almost wanted it back as a back-up lol.
    11-02-09 04:58 PM
    I was really against getting a flip, until I had so many problems with the pearl. When I finally did get the flip it took some time getting used to it, but now I love my flip. I no longer booty dial people and as far as the quality goes.......... I think its great.

My friend has a storm and i've played with it somewhat........ and to be honest I just do not like the storm. Def. something I would not waste my money on.
    11-03-09 09:51 AM
    I like the size. It has huge buttons for my big fingers. I did like the pearl as it feels more substantial. My G/F had the curve and it feels better but I find it too big.

I have had Windows, palm and BB. The BB rocks. Best for mail etc
    11-04-09 01:42 PM
    I loved it until it started acting up a few months back. It keeps rebooting itself and sometimes will not start again.

I've done a clean install of the OS and it's still happening. Not very useful if you can't use it.
    11-04-09 02:59 PM
    No ratings for me.. I think the Flips were a waste.
    11-06-09 08:24 AM
    if this phone worked as it is supose to i would absolutly love it. but it dont. i have had it about 3 months and it is not as it should be. first the constant rebooting. when it does this you cant use the phone for sometimes 30 mins. and it does it several times a month. then sometimes it just cuts off ... i look in my purse and its off i dont know why. then there is the short battery life. if you use it at all you have to charge it. my razor lasted for days at a time.sometimes i can connect to wi fi sometimes i cant. no clue it just dont. then recently my external display just stopped working after one of the many reboots. id like a phone that just works. period.
    That's too bad with your experience. I'm wondering if you have a defective phone. I do a "battery pull" once a day as suggested by many others so that you have a fresh Berry. Even tech support at RIM suggests this. Kind of like a Windows dilemma. My reboot is about 3-5 minutes which is norm, I have a Curve 8310 as well and the reboot on that is about the same time. The only time mine takes that long to reboot is when I'm doing a firmware upgrade.

So far, it's been good here with my Flip (knocking on wood). I love mine for 2 main reasons, size and the 4.6 OS. I still use my Curve occasionally but more and more it's gearing towards the Flip.

If you're phone is still under warranty, I would give RIM a call and see if they can repair or likely replace yours.

Good Luck!
    11-06-09 09:20 AM
    The flip i had was solid. However two friends their flips BT stopped working and one reboot sometimes.
    11-06-09 09:22 AM
    No ratings for me.. I think the Flips were a waste.
    Matter of opinion, depends on what you do with your phone, not everyone is going to walk around with a huge Blackberry. Personally, I like the Curve for it's full keyboard but love the Flip for the bigger keys, I have big fingers and I'm finding with my Curve I'm constantly hitting the wrong keys or 2 keys at once. Hate typing with my finger nails, especially when I don't have any
    11-06-09 09:25 AM
    That's too bad with your experience. I'm wondering if you have a defective phone. I do a "battery pull" once a day as suggested by many others so that you have a fresh Berry. Even tech support at RIM suggests this.
    I've gone two weeks without a battery pull/reboot on my 8230 with no issues. Not even sure there was a memory leak. The only reason I rebooted was because I upgraded an app that required it. I have had some random reboots... but few and far between.

I would think her reboot issue is one that requires service. But... it seems 8220 users complain more about their phones. Maybe there is some reliability issues with the 8220 that the 8230 doesn't have?
    11-06-09 10:05 AM
    I've gone two weeks without a battery pull/reboot on my 8230 with no issues. Not even sure there was a memory leak. The only reason I rebooted was because I upgraded an app that required it. I have had some random reboots... but few and far between.

I would think her reboot issue is one that requires service. But... it seems 8220 users complain more about their phones. Maybe there is some reliability issues with the 8220 that the 8230 doesn't have?
    I don't think there's more issues with 8220 then any other models, every model has their problems, jump over to the 83xx Curve forum, lots of issues there and I've never had any problems with mine. And the Curve is one of the most solid Blackberrys out there.

As for the "battery pull" I try to enforce once a day, I've gone through several days without it, I just find that a reboot the Blackberry's work a bit more zippy.

I have an app that simulates battery pulls so I'm not really taking my 8220 apart every time. Works perfectly.
    11-06-09 07:34 PM
    I love my BlackBerry Flip. I have had it a week now, and already completely love it. Never had any issues, then again I have the 8230 which seems to be the better one.

I dont pull the battery though. THere is an app on the BLackBerry App store called QuickPull Free that simulates a battery pull that works just as well.

I hate SureType. It had me ready to whip the phone through the wall (literally) within five minutes of owning it until I turned multitap on and have loved it ever since. Its the best phone I have ever had. I wouldnt trade it for anything.
    11-07-09 09:57 PM
    I bought a storm in April and as of two weeks ago was on the sixth one. After many many phone calls to customer service and tech support they did a multi fru and sent me another berry as a replacement for the storm, I choose the flip as I had a solid pearl 8130 before. So far i have 7 3rd party applications that I use everyday and havent had any problems with restarts, memory, or even the battery, I have been using the phone for about 10 days now and only charge it while I sleep at night, however a hour or two before connecting it, it is showing the red battery meter.
    Last edited by jason2nails; 11-09-09 at 06:38 PM.
    11-09-09 06:35 PM
    I like my Flip and I text alot on it, I type super fast with double tap. Only thing that bugs me is battery life, I need to buy a spare pack.
    11-17-09 12:53 AM
    My 2 cents....

The Flip is ok...just not fast enough for me. The processor just can't keep up with the speed in which I want to navigate around the device. Still a little too laggy for me. My bro has the Storm and the difference in speed is very very noticeable. Plus the screen size on the good old Flip is just too small for my liking.

I want a Storm 2 in a bad way. Part of that is I've never had a touchscreen device and would really love one.

The Flip has it's purpose...I would think that sole purpose is for people who love flip form factors. For people who are not in love with flip style devices, I'm not sure why there would be any other reason to get the Flip over another BB. Simply because the Flip, as far as raw power goes, is on the bottom of the list for newer BB's....plus... no 3G.

My 2 pennies
    11-17-09 01:38 AM
    This is my 1st smartphone & I'm on my 5th BB flip since December, yeah I've gone though a few defective units.

Why I haven't given up on the flip is it's small, compact and I absolutely love the size of the buttons. I find typing incredibly easy to do and I do about +250 text a month + my bb messenger. My only compliant with this unit {other then the defective units, but I'll blame customer service for sending me rejects} is the painfully brutal processor. Due to the processor of this device I've completely given up on surfing/browsing from my unit.

RIM ever decided on other flip with an even "adequate" processor I'd be first on board.
    11-17-09 04:26 PM
    I used to love my flip. Still kinda do, but after multiple replacements and chat sessions and phone calls and support i got sick of the software errors. Love the phone, hate the software. Will see how my new curve works out.
    11-17-09 08:56 PM
    I would rate the phone (the ones I've come in contact with) as : Useless garbage.

My girlfriend and I both upgraded to 8220s on T-mobile back in June. At first, they seemed to be great. Wifi worked, the blackberry OS and interface is great, the compactness is cool.

But then, after about 3 weeks, the dreaded rebooting started. First it was my phone, then about 2 weeks later it started on hers. It would happen randomly. I could figure out no system for how/why it was doing it. Sometimes it was while trying to send an MMS. Sometimes it happened while I was on the phone. And other other times it would do it just while the phone was sitting on my coffee table. Very annoying. A full reboot every time with the security verification, etc.

Then, about 2 months ago the phones started just turning off. I would pull it out of my pocket, and it would be all black. I would look at it sitting on the coffee table and it was all black. And worst of all (I use my phone for an alarm, as most of us do) it would turn off in the middle of the night on my night stand and the alarm would not go off. On Friday BOTH of our unplugged-in, fully charged flips randomly turned off and we missed a 6:15am flight to mexico. It was unbelievably horrible luck, all thanks to the 8220.

With these turnoffs, you couldn't turn it back on with the power button; you had to pull the battery out, and then turn it on. Full reboot with all the bells and whistles. And then, you have no idea when it will turn off again. It could be 5 minutes, it could be 5 days. It's happening at least once every week now.

So, in short, the 8220 started out great, but then slowly turned into a useless, unreliable piece of junk; a piece of junk that became a costly liability. And, it happened to two phones at once, in the same house!

T-mobile is sending new phones, but I doubt it will solve anything. One of my buddies has the 8220 (he bought his in August), and the thing does the restarting baloney. Additionally, the t-mobile rep I talked to said that it was a widespread and known problem, and because of it, they don't offer the 8220 as an upgrade phone anymore, just as a first-time-contract-buyer phone. Wonderful; pawn off your garbage on new customers. Needless to say, numerous rabid emails have been sent to RIM and T-Mobile for putting me through this.

Maybe there was/is a bad batch of them out there and my girlfriend and I just got 2 of the bad 8220s, but whatever the cause, the engineering of the thing is obviously prone to being unreliable, and I would recommend that people looking for a blackberry go for something else.
    11-21-09 09:40 PM
    i like my flip (8230). i was more used to win mobile devices so there was a huge learning curve. i have had the device for about 6 months and most issues i have had were user based! I am a little disappointed that my provider decided to make the GPS unusable unless i pay for their service. Other than that I really like the phone, I have had 3 people I know of switch from their existing device to the filp since i have had mine with no issues.

I would actually recommend it, it seems that some people have had issues with theirs, i have no issues with mine and might do a battery pull every couple of weeks. This is my only personal phone, both me and my fiancee have BBs (she has a Pearl 8130) since we have no home phone.
    11-22-09 09:19 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD