Is it just me, or does anyone else feel insulted by the fact that RIM decided to keep the same processor on their flagship device?

Most of us have been rocking the Bold for over a year now, don't we deserve better?????

I feel taken.
    10-31-09 02:03 AM
    Initially I feel that 624 is pretty fast and for the most part that should be enough for most functions. I think 1 gHz would be a bit much?

At the same time, I do not feel insulted so much as RIM is being complacent. I do not know much about phone development, but I feel like the ability to build a phone with a faster processor is not impossible. I feel that rather than setting benchmarks, RIM is playing catch-up. Does this sound anything like Palm? Innovators must stay innovators if they wish to remain in the lead.
    10-31-09 03:02 AM
    I'm more insulted by the faux leather to be honest...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 03:07 AM
    And the all white keypad..

10-31-09 03:13 AM
    And the all white keypad..

Yeah... Is that not just a carrier thing like the bold tho???
    Loved the green ones on the early shots of the javelin - even nicer than red..

10-31-09 03:17 AM
    and someone else will say "the small size", "lack of onboard memory", "border around the screen" etc...

The Bold 1 is huge, way too big for me. Other things don't matter, since the Bold 2 comes with a 2 GB microSD which the Bold 1 didn't have.
    10-31-09 03:18 AM
    Is it just me, or does anyone else feel insulted by the fact that RIM decided to keep the same processor on their flagship device?

Most of us have been rocking the Bold for over a year now, don't we deserve better?????

I feel taken.
    Considering the Iphone 3G S is clocked at 600MHz & the new Verizon Droid is clocked at 555Mhz, the 9700(624MHz) is not too bad. Just because the device has the same processor speed as the 9000 doesn't mean the architecture isn't any better on the new device. The 9700 is very speedy.
    10-31-09 06:07 AM
    Also, with the improvement of app memory it should run a bit smoother and might notice also an increase in speed because of it
    10-31-09 06:36 AM
    Not insulted at all! I can hear everyone now if they went to a hot processor and the battery was dead by lunch! OS 5 is VERY good and you do not need anymore processor that what it has now. RIM is playing it smart. My 9700 is as fast as it needs to be and with the extra memory you do not need about rebooting or pulling the battery any more!

Thanks RIM for keeping you head and just making the 9700 rock steady which is way more important to most of us!
    10-31-09 07:21 AM
    Im insulted of not having one right now.
    10-31-09 08:44 AM
    They're playing it (too) safe by not changing what they perceive is a winning formula.

Not really insulted, but this isn't the way to catch the competition. I see it more as a curve (#4 I guess, lost track) as the Bold conjures up images of superiority, performance and style. While this may have elements of the latter two, its not worthy of flagship status.

The one argument I always hate is "624mhz /256mb is good enough". Well, just because I can install xp on a 600mhz celeron doesn't mean that I don't get added value from putting on a dualcore p4. And even if it does run things fine today, that's not the case for 6 months down the road. I'm reserving final judgment until it appears physically in stores..

10-31-09 08:54 AM
    They're playing it (too) safe by not changing what they perceive is a winning formula.

Not really insulted, but this isn't the way to catch the competition. I see it more as a curve (#4 I guess, lost track) as the Bold conjures up images of superiority, performance and style. While this may have elements of the latter two, its not worthy of flagship status.

The one argument I always hate is "624mhz /256mb is good enough". Well, just because I can install xp on a 600mhz celeron doesn't mean that I don't get added value from putting on a dualcore p4. And even if it does run things fine today, that's not the case for 6 months down the road. I'm reserving final judgment until it appears physically in stores..

You have to realize that at the start of Dev for the 9700, 624 was fine. And STILL is! Again the 3G S and Droid both have slower processors than the 9700, so its not like its behind other modern devices out there. But the 9700 has been in the works for over a year. Faster devices with more memory are coming, but there is a roadmap and the time for those devices hasn't came yet. But the 9700 is as fast as any other device out there.
    Newer things are coming to BlackBerry users. 2010 is going to be quite a year for RIM. Some very good things are coming. Very good.

10-31-09 08:59 AM
    You have to realize that at the start of Dev for the 9700, 624 was fine. And STILL is! Again the 3G S and Droid both have slower processors than the 9700, so its not like its behind other modern devices out there. But the 9700 has been in the works for over a year. Faster devices with more memory are coming, but there is a roadmap and the time for those devices hasn't came yet. But the 9700 is as fast as any other device out there.
    Newer things are coming to BlackBerry users. 2010 is going to be quite a year for RIM. Some very good things are coming. Very good.

Tease :-)...

10-31-09 09:27 AM
    As long as those new devices aren't mashed up versions of what we already have on other devices (I.e. a tour with a trackpad and wifi...a curve with a trackpad and a new keyboard, etc.) then it should be an interesting year.

I think most perople want to see some innovation and NEW features that aren't on any existing device- more of the wow factor we had when the bold came out.

10-31-09 09:55 AM
    I'd much rather have a more efficient 624mhz processor with an architecture that has been streamlined over time than a shot at a slightly faster processor that probably sucks up more juice and an architecture that hasn't had years of refinement.
    10-31-09 10:40 AM
    As usual, you guys are probably right. I guess my feeling is that most Bold users are on the cutting edge, and have a little more disposable income, so a little more investment in the hardware at the cost of price would have been acceptable for this target market. Also, the reality is, it has been over a year. In one year, the 3G went from 412MHz to 600MHz in the 3GS (50%). I kind of expected at least a small bump.

Smaller form factor, more application memory (less on board), better camera, new OS - all nice, but this is the flagship product - I kind of expected more.

I have been running v5.0.0.314, and it's nice and snappy - but to me is a little more than an incremental improvement. I absolutely hate how they are trying to copy Apple in some areas - like the spinning dials to select dates and times. OMG, what a gawd awful and embarrassing implementation. The original method, though simple, worked and was clean.

In any case, none of this matters, cause Apple Engineers and RIM engineers cannot compete with Google engineers. I said it when Android first came out, RIM should find a way to adopt Android. There were a ton of great arguments back and forth - nay sayers screaming about security, IT policies, etc... but seriously, look at what Google has done - made cloud computing for the masses, kick *** email, fastest browser, brand new Mobile OS that is being adopted with open arms by all the carriers and hardware manufacturers, Google Wave, Applications for small and large companies... it just won't end.. but I digress, and this is a topic for another thread....

I love my BlackBerry, and it does exactly what I want to do, and can run circles around the other devices when it comes to communication - but man, everyone else seems to be taking leaps forward with momentum, while the company that makes my device is taking incremental steps....

It's because I care.
    10-31-09 12:33 PM
    As usual, you guys are probably right. I guess my feeling is that most Bold users are on the cutting edge, and have a little more disposable income, so a little more investment in the hardware at the cost of price would have been acceptable for this target market. Also, the reality is, it has been over a year. In one year, the 3G went from 412MHz to 600MHz in the 3GS (50%). I kind of expected at least a small bump.

Smaller form factor, more application memory (less on board), better camera, new OS - all nice, but this is the flagship product - I kind of expected more.

I have been running v5.0.0.314, and it's nice and snappy - but to me is a little more than an incremental improvement. I absolutely hate how they are trying to copy Apple in some areas - like the spinning dials to select dates and times. OMG, what a gawd awful and embarrassing implementation. The original method, though simple, worked and was clean.

In any case, none of this matters, cause Apple Engineers and RIM engineers cannot compete with Google engineers. I said it when Android first came out, RIM should find a way to adopt Android. There were a ton of great arguments back and forth - nay sayers screaming about security, IT policies, etc... but seriously, look at what Google has done - made cloud computing for the masses, kick *** email, fastest browser, brand new Mobile OS that is being adopted with open arms by all the carriers and hardware manufacturers, Google Wave, Applications for small and large companies... it just won't end.. but I digress, and this is a topic for another thread....

I love my BlackBerry, and it does exactly what I want to do, and can run circles around the other devices when it comes to communication - but man, everyone else seems to be taking leaps forward with momentum, while the company that makes my device is taking incremental steps....

It's because I care.
    Android is cool and all, but it needs to grow a little more. 2.0 seems to have taken bigger strides, but it still needs to mature. I have a G1, and while the browser is good, its nowhere near the 'fastest browser' as you say. Sure its better that the blackberry browser, its not up to par performance wise with Safari on the iPhone. I love my G1, but I also like blackberry, so I will be replacing my G1 with the 9700, unless t-mobile announces some badass android phones before the Bold is released. The Cliq isn't an up to date device, the specs scream last year. The Behold 2 is pretty cool, and at first I was considering it, but they screwed it up with touchwiz. Outside of sense, manufacturers should stop toying with android and leave it as is. HTC is the only company to master making someone elses os better. They did it with windows mobile, and are doing it with android. But to me, android was fine how it was. I never liked touchwiz, and that made my decision to get the bold 9700 too easy.
    10-31-09 12:43 PM
    I'm not insulted my RIM at all. If anything they have been the most consistent in releasing their phones on time, next to Apple. Every other manufacturer announces their phones 6 months ago and it's still no where in site. I thank RIM for getting rid of the trackball. There was an article in the Toronto Star (I believe), where they were seeing an increase in people who use Blackberry's and are getting Arthritis in the thumbs and even Carpel Tunnel. It's not the typing that causes this, it's the trackball and or jog dial. There's several Executives that goes to the same clinic that I do and they are getting treated for Arthritis on one of their thumbs. So if anything RIM is making changes for the better, with the trackpad, double the RAM, better battery life...that's enough for me to upgrade to the 9700.

I held the dummy and it is damn nice! If the dummy felt great in the hands, I could imagine what the actual unit feels like.
    10-31-09 01:17 PM
    I'm not insulted at all. I would rather see RIM continue to refine an already good product than see them wasting time worrying about what everyone else is doing. Not everyone wants an Iphone or Android phone.
    10-31-09 03:07 PM

i think ima buy some RIM stock
    10-31-09 05:36 PM
    while i dont feel insulted, its hardly a groundbreaking processor, devices like the samsung jet run 800Mhz, and the snap dragon processor devices are even reported as being capable of 1ghz, would it not make more sense to throw a 800mhz processor in, then throttle it back to 624mhz until refinements are available? i mean it wouldnt hurt to make it `future proof` would it! that way when the latest and greatest OS comes out in the future rim knows it can ramp up the processor speed and its devices will be able to cope, i know thats not good for business in the sense of making people upgrade, but why not make sure a phone is future proof (within reason of course), so that the 2nd or 3rd user of the phone can still make full use of their services.

saying the iphone only runs xxx or any other phone runs xxx is nice, but why should rim follow? shouldnt they innovate? this is what seperates a market leader from the rest, its just like i remember one of the app team saying to kevin at wes `we dont need bigger memory because apps arent that big` thats just not thinking of what could be, not innovating but just following the pack. you dont buy a house and think `i dont have a car so i dont need a garage` you think of where life may lead and prepare in advance
    10-31-09 07:57 PM
    while i dont feel insulted, its hardly a groundbreaking processor, devices like the samsung jet run 800Mhz, and the snap dragon processor devices are even reported as being capable of 1ghz, would it not make more sense to throw a 800mhz processor in, then throttle it back to 624mhz until refinements are available? i mean it wouldnt hurt to make it `future proof` would it! that way when the latest and greatest OS comes out in the future rim knows it can ramp up the processor speed and its devices will be able to cope, i know thats not good for business in the sense of making people upgrade, but why not make sure a phone is future proof (within reason of course), so that the 2nd or 3rd user of the phone can still make full use of their services.

saying the iphone only runs xxx or any other phone runs xxx is nice, but why should rim follow? shouldnt they innovate? this is what seperates a market leader from the rest, its just like i remember one of the app team saying to kevin at wes `we dont need bigger memory because apps arent that big` thats just not thinking of what could be, not innovating but just following the pack. you dont buy a house and think `i dont have a car so i dont need a garage` you think of where life may lead and prepare in advance
    I didn't mention the Iphone or Droid to say RIM is following them, only to show that they're not behind and in lots of cases they're ahead. The current processor is good enough and very very quick. Putting in a faster processor would only decrease battery life. Which is a major issue with the current Bold. Thus increasing power management capabilities on the 9700 is upgrading the current generation Bold which is what "upgrade" is all about. Nobody said its the exact same processor that's in the Bold(nobody said it wasn't) but it could have a different core with better architecture, the word upgrade comes to mind.
    You don't have to have the fastest available processor on the market in the device for it to be a good device. And I think people equate "faster processor" with "better device". When this is obviously not true in the least because one of the most popular devices in the world uses a slower processor than what's on both generations of the Bold line. Its not all about throwing the fastest cpu in there.
    As far as future proofing a device, well that just doesn't make dollars or cents. And it isn't going to happen, with RIM or with any manufacturer. And they shouldn't. Keep in mind the 9700 wasn't made a few months ago, it was planned for and has been in Dev for over 9 months. But as with all technology driven devices, its old tech before it releases and that's the name of the game. There's always something newer and better around the corner. 2010 is going to be a good year for RIM with some very good new devices. Fast ones too.

10-31-09 08:13 PM
    My disappointment with RIM doesn't come from any issues with their hardware because it is, IMO, second to none...other than the trackball issues of late. I feel disappointed in the lack of urgency with their OS development. I feel like they aren't innovating enough in that department. Don't get me wrong...the BlackBerry OS right now is pound for pound THE best OS as of now but that won't always be the case at their current pace of putting out updates. The web browser should be issue numero uno right now. I say, slow down on cranking out new hardware and put out some serious OS updates. I feel like the Bold 9700 should be released with OS 6.0 instead of 5.0.
    10-31-09 08:49 PM
    i feel that they did come a bit short on this release.

processor is fine and i agree that if they can make it more stable, maintain speed and better battery ...i am in 100%.

however, the camera could have been 5mp, faster gsm 7.2 for new ntwks, better overall hardware design....too many different materials in my opinion (glossy chrome, leather, matte plastic)

i saw the dummy unit and it looks ok but not a jaw dropping design and the choice of materials/finish is not flag ship worthy.

the industrial design is mediocre

i wont even touch on the UI and OS....
    10-31-09 11:39 PM

I feel taken.

If you are insulted by a corporate entity which did anything less than insult you personally in a press release then you are an *****.

11-01-09 01:24 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD