As Ive said all along from os 4.7.0.75 the screen dimming has been present in all 3 of my storm ones and it stayed all the way up to os 5.0.0.328

Its also present on the storm 2 that I got yesterday. So im pretty sure its been designed that way and is not a bug at all. So please lets all keep the screen dimming posts in one thread.

(I know I just made another one)
    10-30-09 06:47 PM
    What purpose would this "design" serve?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 06:54 PM

battery efficiency? Who knows.
    10-30-09 06:55 PM

Not really sure but it seems to be apparent on all the builds
    10-30-09 07:03 PM
    Mine did it on the .148 and now on .328. It never really bothered me I figured it was by design?
    10-30-09 07:04 PM
    Mine did it on the .148 and now on .328. It never really bothered me I figured it was by design?
    doesnt bother me either and yes it seems to be by design.
    10-30-09 07:13 PM
    Don't think it's by design and it annoys me! The main reason i say it's not done by design is there are things you can do to make it stop. If it were intentional, I don't think you would be able to stop it from happening.

Two methods to stop it: 1) Actually use Auto Dim - set it to "On" and brightness how you like it. 2) Change your brightness setting, save, then go back and change it back to what you like and save again. With that method (2) you'll have to do it after a reboot.
    10-30-09 07:18 PM
    To annoy people
    10-30-09 07:21 PM
    My Storm 1 never did it on any 4.7 O.S or hybrid.....it came along with 191 and it's been there since....on my Storm 2 I got Thursday,it will do it but only sometimes and not nearly as noticeable as on Storm 1.......at least not for me.
    10-30-09 07:23 PM
    For what's it worth. I've never had the dimming in landscape mode on .75 or .148. I installed 5.0 and that's when the problem started. I went back to .148 with no dimming. Reinstalled 5.0 .328 and the problem is still there. Back at .148 only because it is bothers me. no more dimming. There has to be something more to this.
    10-30-09 07:44 PM
    There are two options one bedside mode found at clock options and the auto dim in screen/keyboard options. I turned both off and hasn't happened since

10-30-09 07:45 PM
    Tried all of those. It worked for about an hour and then came back mysteriously. Don't get it.
    10-30-09 07:49 PM
    IMO this particular "feature" is nothing more than a bug with seniority. And a darn annoying one at that.

Edited to add: I've used 4.7.0.167 more than any other single OS and I don't recall it dimming when rotated. And I instantly noticed it with .323 and .328. I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed it in .1.67, it is THAT annoying to me.
    Last edited by 3rdpig; 10-30-09 at 09:42 PM.
    10-30-09 09:40 PM
    I always used to have an issue of my storm1 being TOO bright even when it was set to 10 and auto dim to "on"

I remember I'd have to move it from portrait to landscape and wait a few seconds for it to dim back to normal.

What's this issue you bright people speak of?
    10-30-09 10:33 PM
    Doesn't bug me either, people are just to d a m n picky about little things.
    10-31-09 12:56 AM
    what the **** is this screen dimming issue people keep complaining about? I use my phone in landscape all the time and have no problem with the screen.
    10-31-09 01:09 AM
    I swear, I'm going to get the video camera out one of these days and PROVE that this is a bug! That is if I don't fire a few rounds into my Storm first...
    10-31-09 01:34 AM
    For what's it worth. I've never had the dimming in landscape mode on .75 or .148. I installed 5.0 and that's when the problem started. I went back to .148 with no dimming. Reinstalled 5.0 .328 and the problem is still there. Back at .148 only because it is bothers me. no more dimming. There has to be something more to this.
    Ok I'm having the same issue I'd rather go back to the previous ver. But how do u do that. Also when u installed OS 5.0 was your microsd card in the phone and on the other times was it also in there?

10-31-09 02:48 AM
    Oddly, I thought by turning off dimming in both places, keyboard/screen options and in the clock settings it would fix it but it hasn't. What seems to have cured it or at least made it bearable for me is turning on screen dimming.
    10-31-09 08:11 AM
    Oddly, I thought by turning off dimming in both places, keyboard/screen options and in the clock settings it would fix it but it hasn't. What seems to have cured it or at least made it bearable for me is turning on screen dimming.
    correct, the overall brightness of the screen will not be as bright when doing this. which annoys some people
    10-31-09 11:23 AM
    the auto dim doesnt bother me, but the dim to barely visible in landscape bothered the h3ll out of me. I do not believe that these are one in the same. One is by design to prevent eye strain the other IMO is a bug. When my auto dim setting is set to off it will dim so dark in landscape that I have to turn it back to portrait, wait a second for the brightness to kick back on then turn it back to landscape. With the auto dim set to on the screen NEVER dims past ~70%-80% backlight brightness, regardless if you are on landscape or portrait. My suggestion to those having the dim issue is to set the auto dim to on. I bet after a couple of days the only time you will notice that its dim is when you come from a dark room to a lighted room.
    10-31-09 11:36 AM
    I have my brightness set to 10 and the only time I come across this particular problem is when I turn to landscape and my fingers cover both the light sensor and the camera lens. Running .328.
    10-31-09 11:47 AM
    the auto dim doesnt bother me, but the dim to barely visible in landscape bothered the h3ll out of me. I do not believe that these are one in the same. One is by design to prevent eye strain the other IMO is a bug. When my auto dim setting is set to off it will dim so dark in landscape that I have to turn it back to portrait, wait a second for the brightness to kick back on then turn it back to landscape. With the auto dim set to on the screen NEVER dims past ~70%-80% backlight brightness, regardless if you are on landscape or portrait. My suggestion to those having the dim issue is to set the auto dim to on. I bet after a couple of days the only time you will notice that its dim is when you come from a dark room to a lighted room.
    im seriously starting to believe this will make alot of people happy too.
    10-31-09 11:48 AM
    It's not being picky when you're trying to watch a high resolution video on your multimedia device and you can't use the full brightness because the video player runs in landscape and it dims itself in landscape.

Problem!
    10-31-09 12:09 PM
    Im willing to bet that most of you that do not have this issue are not going into a dark room to test it out. Mine only does it when I am sitting in my livingroom with just the TV on and no other light source. The screen will only dim in landscape mode. If I turn the lights on or my laptop screen comes back on the screen on the storm1 or storm2 will get bright again. Once the light source goes away the screen will get dim again in a few seconds. This is by design. And not a bug. It most likely has something to do with battery drain or color banding or something but this has been present in os 4.7.0.148 and on. And now on my storm2 its present.
    10-31-09 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD