When I added my friend he shows up in the contact list as an sms contact. Is there such thing as a BBM contact? When I text him using BBM he just gets it as a SMS text. I used his phone number to add him. If I used bar code or pin would it make a difference?

Reason why is id like to add my father and he has his text messages shut off. Will BBM work even though he has sms/mms text shut off?
    10-30-09 06:21 PM
    It depends if he's linked from BBM to your contacts. If he's linked then all his SMS msg will show up in BBM. You can unlink him and his text msg should show up just in the SMS section.

BBM works over data and SMS text works over voice so your dad will still be able to receive bbms
    10-30-09 06:28 PM
    You have to add BBM contacts by email or pin. otherwise they are just sms contacts.
    10-30-09 06:28 PM
    Yes, a BBM contact should be set-up using their PIN... Then it goes to their BBM app using RIM's servers and not "text messaging". Of course the other user has to be on a blackberry with a data plan, even if they dont have a text plan w/ their carrier. but it works across ALL carriers and also worldwide, at no additional cost over your data plan.

You can add non blackberry users to BBM using their phone numbers, but as you saw, those are sent out as text messages, as that's all it can do.

*EDIT*.. that's what happens when you write a long reply... everyone else beats you to it! Gotta love crackberry sometimes
    10-30-09 06:29 PM
    You have to add BBM contacts by email or pin. otherwise they are just sms contacts.
    LOL at your pin.

Don't forget we can also add contacts via barcodes as well
    10-30-09 06:31 PM
    I have a quick question since we are on the topic. From my storm 1 I had BBM ver 5 running on it, so I have backed up my contacts remotely and also via the 2 gig card I had in it.

Well anyways, when I got the S2 today I did the device switch in the Desktop Manager which transferred everything from the s1 over to the s2. Also keep in mind the s1 is with att and the s2 is with Verizon.

Anyways, once everything loaded up on the s2 I went into bbm and found that I could contact my contacts on it just fine, and they can contact me. I did not have to give them my new pin.

Is this a new feature with BBM 5 that it will automatically update the PIN number on their phones based on the backup I made off the s1?

I thought that was odd, considering I could not go onto the RIMs site under the carieer and switch my pin because I am going from one carieer to another.
    10-30-09 06:45 PM
    Here's an interesting question. I've backed up and restored everything on to my (9550) from my (9530) and by default, I should have BBM icon on my app. screen. I've been searching for it on the device, but at no point could I find it. Where should it be? Has anyone come across this problem?

**UPDATE** I downloaded BBM 5.0 from RIM's site. I loaded it through e-mail from device, then rebooted, now BBM Icon is where it's suppose to be. I don't know how this happened, but if you should have this problem, check this option out.
    10-31-09 06:37 AM
    BBM 5 seems to have a problem with this. I noticed for some reason even after I did an update with the desktop manager it was not running BBM 5. I had to download it and install it.

I noticed that if you do not reboot your device after the install, it will hide your icon and not run. Its weird.

I just had to reinstall it so the profile pics would load.
    10-31-09 07:52 AM
    Here's an interesting question. I've backed up and restored everything on to my (9550) from my (9530) and by default, I should have BBM icon on my app. screen. I've been searching for it on the device, but at no point could I find it. Where should it be? Has anyone come across this problem?

**UPDATE** I downloaded BBM 5.0 from RIM's site. I loaded it through e-mail from device, then rebooted, now BBM Icon is where it's suppose to be. I don't know how this happened, but if you should have this problem, check this option out.
    The BBM is in your Instant Messaging folder on S2. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to move BBM to the main screen for easy access, but I have my Instant messaging folder there, so 2 clicks instead of 1 wont kill me lol
    10-31-09 09:34 AM
    The BBM is in your Instant Messaging folder on S2. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to move BBM to the main screen for easy access, but I have my Instant messaging folder there, so 2 clicks instead of 1 wont kill me lol
    just touch (dont click) the icon to highlight it. Click the blackberry button on the bottom of the phone and select move to folder. Then click the home folder.
    10-31-09 10:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD