We all know BB browser stinks (yes itsbok for a few sites). But opera mini rocks (once you get used to using touch only and backspace button with speeddials tuned).

Question for you android guys or guys fortunate enough to play with droid. How much better is or now much better can the browse be than with opera. I have yet to go to a FULL site that opera cannt display and surf yet?

I'm thinking most are claiming surfing net stinks on storm based on BB browser (which I agree with).

Opera 5 beta is even better except it doesn't fully work (many links don't execute) and can't really use sure press keyboard. virtual keyboard stinks.

Thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 02:47 PM
    We all know BB browser stinks (yes itsbok for a few sites). But opera mini rocks (once you get used to using touch only and backspace button with speeddials tuned).

Question for you android guys or guys fortunate enough to play with droid. How much better is or now much better can the browse be than with opera. I have yet to go to a FULL site that opera cannt display and surf yet?

I'm thinking most are claiming surfing net stinks on storm based on BB browser (which I agree with).

Opera 5 beta is even better except it doesn't fully work (many links don't execute) and can't really use sure press keyboard. virtual keyboard stinks.

Thx

Try using opera on Dpreview.com and selecting the link on the left...nope...wont happen.
    Don't get me wrong since I also like Opera, but it is not perfect. That being said, from the videos I have seen of the browser it looks very nice. Not to Iphone browser levels yet, but not to bad. It definitely scrolls faster then the Iphone. As for how it will do with sites....only time will tell. The vids I have seen rendered the sites well.
    10-30-09 03:42 PM
    I'll take the Droid or any other smartphone over Blackberry ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Why... simple... and the majority of it doesn't even have to do with quality of the page rendering...

NO PROXY SERVERS BETWEEN MY PHONE AND THE WEBSERVER I HIT!!!

That's right, with BB and ANY browser on the BB platform, you need a proxy server on the backed to play middleman for the device. This is how the platform was built and it blows! If that 3rd party service provider (RIM or Opera's) network goes down for whatever reason, you can't surf.

BB>Carrier>RIM NOC>Webserver = BAD
    BB>Carrier>Opera NOC>Webserver = BAD
    Smarphone(Droid or other)>Carrier>Webserver = GOOD! (And in some cases more secure, because you don't run the risk of someone compromising the proxy servers and snooping on your surfing.)

Couple this with the outstanding page rendering that Webkit brings with HTML5 (on Droid) and it leaves BB in the dust.
    10-30-09 03:47 PM
    I'll take the Droid or any other smartphone over Blackberry ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Why... simple... and the majority of it doesn't even have to do with quality of the page rendering...

NO PROXY SERVERS BETWEEN MY PHONE AND THE WEBSERVER I HIT!!!

That's right, with BB and ANY browser on the BB platform, you need a proxy server on the backed to play middleman for the device. This is how the platform was built and it blows! If that 3rd party service provider (RIM or Opera's) network goes down for whatever reason, you can't surf.

BB>Carrier>RIM NOC>Webserver = BAD
    BB>Carrier>Opera NOC>Webserver = BAD
    Smarphone(Droid or other)>Carrier>Webserver = GOOD! (And in some cases more secure, because you don't run the risk of someone compromising the proxy servers and snooping on your surfing.)

Couple this with the outstanding page rendering that Webkit brings with HTML5 (on Droid) and it leaves BB in the dust.

Very true....
    10-30-09 05:52 PM
    the droid's web browser flat out RAPES every other smart phone VZW offers
    10-30-09 06:15 PM
    the droid's web browser flat out RAPES every other smart phone VZW offers
    10-30-09 06:16 PM
    Have you seen the seperate mobile sites that have been created for the Android forums so that they can view them in the native browser?

10-30-09 07:21 PM
    Android browser is FAST and nice, even playing with a mytouch in the store on EDGE it was fast and worked VERY well. Loaded pages quick as heck and rendered them perfectly.
    10-30-09 08:37 PM
    I am almost embarrassed to browse the web on my Storm 2. Yes, the Droid browser seems very very good.

Just a thought, can you imagine how the Verizon Sales Clerks are going to react when all of these new Storm 2s are returned? Well, they will make a killing on restock fee's.

Anyone know a workaround the restock fee's.
    10-30-09 11:58 PM
    Restocking Fees for replaced products should be illegal because it's really just a scam. They sell you one phone, then exchange it for another +/- price difference + the restocking fee. Restocking fees should be implemented if you just flat out return a product and ask for a refund. Who wants to start a Class Action? Lol

10-31-09 12:15 AM
    Restocking Fees for replaced products should be illegal because it's really just a scam. They sell you one phone, then exchange it for another +/- price difference + the restocking fee. Restocking fees should be implemented if you just flat out return a product and ask for a refund. Who wants to start a Class Action? Lol

You turned their brand new phone into a used one, they lost money...$35 is not much to ask when they have such a generous return policy to begin with.
    10-31-09 12:49 AM
    And do not for get the Moto Droid is set up to run flash when they get it finished. Early 2010..

10-31-09 11:11 AM
    I believe Opera Mini is available on Android. I've seen it mentioned somewhere.
    10-31-09 07:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD