Hey all,

I am possibly interested in purchasing tetherberry at this beautifully discounted price but had quick question first. I have read before here that there really is a limit to our "unlimited" Verizon data plans. Like 5 GB or something? I was wondering:

1. Is this true?

and

2. Will using Tetherberry cause me to exceed this limit?

Thanks!
    10-30-09 02:14 PM
    1. Yes. "unlimited" = 5gb limit

2. If you use it excessively, then yes you could exeed this limit. Most users don't come even come close to that limit though.

Also, it is likely that it violates your user agreement with VZW, so use at your own risk.
    10-30-09 03:06 PM
    The data on the phone is unlimited. If you get the tethering add-on from verizon, the 5GB limit applies like on the data cards. Not sure if Verizon can tell the difference in packets between tetherberry and regular phone browsing but I'd keep an eye on the usage and not use it a lot.
    10-30-09 03:09 PM
    I just my tetherberry for discounted price today

If you add the tethering feature from Verizon the 5gb cap applies

If you use tetherberry to tether to your computer, just make sure you don't go over I would say 5gb because then they will check your network traffic to see if you are getting contents such as flash to your device in which your device does not support

Most users, however, do not come close to even 3gb

just my 2c
    10-30-09 04:37 PM
    1. Yes. "unlimited" = 5gb limit

2. If you use it excessively, then yes you could exeed this limit. Most users don't come even come close to that limit though.

Also, it is likely that it violates your user agreement with VZW, so use at your own risk.
    Wrong! When you use tetherberry, you aren't using VZW's tethering. Your using the unlimited blackberry data on your phone. As long as you not using crazy amounts of data, there is no way for VZW to tell that your data is actually going to your computer, because it's actually running through you phone 1st.
    10-30-09 05:09 PM
    Wrong! When you use tetherberry, you aren't using VZW's tethering. Your using the unlimited blackberry data on your phone. As long as you not using crazy amounts of data, there is no way for VZW to tell that your data is actually going to your computer, because it's actually running through you phone 1st.
    I agree. I have and use Tetherberry on VZW without any additional charges. I've even used it to download movies. They cannot tell the difference between data to your phone and data to your phone going thru to the computer.
    10-30-09 05:15 PM
    Ok play nice.
    I agree that VZW doesn't know if your data was used for browsing on your phone or your computer. But its almost impossible to reach 5gb of data in a month just using your phone's browser. If you're close to 5gb, then you're most likely tethering, and vzw isn't stupid.

Now, I didn't say VZW will do anything about it. I've used Tetherberry myself and its awesome. If you're not stupid and use it wisely, you *should* be in the clear.

And actually re-read my original post. there is nothing "WRONG!" about it. Your BB plan DOES have a "soft cap" of 5gb and tethering IS a violation of your user agreement.
    Last edited by djrams; 10-30-09 at 06:38 PM.
    10-30-09 06:36 PM
    Hey all,

I am possibly interested in purchasing tetherberry at this beautifully discounted price but had quick question first. I have read before here that there really is a limit to our "unlimited" Verizon data plans. Like 5 GB or something? I was wondering:

1. Is this true?

and

2. Will using Tetherberry cause me to exceed this limit?

Thanks!
    dude the bottom line is its a great app at a great price i have had it since the beta and use it every day for over 2-4 hrs at a time and the vzw gestapos havent knocked on my door yet
    10-30-09 06:55 PM
    How do you check your usage?
    10-30-09 07:05 PM
    Technically it is illegal for Verizon to see what kind of information you are getting to your phone, that would involve them gather your packets and building them to see whats inside. As far as I know, it is illegal for any ISP to block or interfere with any types of data, and also cannot look at what you are specifically down/up loading.

That being said, the statment above of "they aren't stupid" is correct. If you don't pay for teethering and you constantly peak out your phones bandwidth, they'll suspect somthing is up.
    10-30-09 08:56 PM
    Does anyone know if you buy it for the Storm will the dev give you a free copy if you upgrade?
    10-30-09 10:53 PM
    Does anyone know if you buy it for the Storm will the dev give you a free copy if you upgrade?
    Yes on their website you can add a new PIN number in the event that you do switch to a different blackberry.
    10-30-09 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD