Hey guys, I've been using YouMail for about 6 months now and I really like it. However I'm signed up for Google Voice too... Has anyone used Google Voice for voicemail and can comment on it?

Anyone willing to take the plunge?

What do you guys think?
    10-30-09 06:44 AM
    I've been trying it for all of four days. It's okay; nothing great. Can't comment between it and YouMail though.

Pro: Transcriptions of your VMs
    Con: Takes a while for your VM to kick in when someone calls you
    10-30-09 06:48 AM
    I switch from youmail....so far I like it better, its nice that the transcriptions are free, witch I like cause I can just read what was said and if I don't want to listen to it I don't have too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 07:16 AM
    I have google voice but still prefer youmail....not all of my calls come from GV.....
    10-30-09 07:54 AM
    I have both but use YouMail specifically because only a few people have my Google Voice number. To replace my real number with my Google Voice number would be a huge undertaking, so I use my Google Voice number as a bit of a spam trap; I give it out to those I'd prefer not having my true number. It's also the number I use when it's required to include a phone number on webpage account signups.
    10-30-09 08:06 AM
    I have both but use YouMail specifically because only a few people have my Google Voice number. To replace my real number with my Google Voice number would be a huge undertaking, so I use my Google Voice number as a bit of a spam trap; I give it out to those I'd prefer not having my true number. It's also the number I use when it's required to include a phone number on webpage account signups.
    You don't have to use your google voice number to reap the benefits of google voice. You can set it up to forward, just like you would with YouMail. When people call, instead of connecting to your standard voicemail, you're connected to your google voice mailbox. That being said, the transcriptions are pretty awful (although the results tend to be pretty humorous) and there's a big delay in the call coming in and the voice mail showing up in the native app.
    10-30-09 08:31 AM
    Google voice users help me out...I an trying to setup the app for my storm. I enter my email but it doesn't let me click on the box to enter my password. Any ideas?

10-30-09 08:33 AM
    Google voice users help me out...I an trying to setup the app for my storm. I enter my email but it doesn't let me click on the box to enter my password. Any ideas?

Check to make sure Google Voice is not in compatibility mode in your application options.

I dropped Youmail for GV the other day when they began allowing forwarding. Google Voice is good but, as said, the voicemail doesn't hit the app instantly because it polls the server at a predetermined interval. You do get an instant email or sms with a transcription so it's just a matter of refreshing messages in the app.

For those having the issue of the caller having to wait while it rings ten times, make sure your forwarded phone is set to go straight to voicemail in the Google Voice phone settings (advanced settings for your mobile number) on the site. Otherwise it rings through your cell (30 seconds) then rings through your GV phones (another 25 seconds).

10-30-09 09:03 AM
    You don't have to use your google voice number to reap the benefits of google voice. You can set it up to forward, just like you would with YouMail.
    I understand that. What I'm saying is that getting every single family member, friend, and co-worker to start dialing my Google Voice number instead of the real number they already have is a huge undertaking.
    10-30-09 09:08 AM
    I understand that. What I'm saying is that getting every single family member, friend, and co-worker to start dialing my Google Voice number instead of the real number they already have is a huge undertaking.
    I don't think you do understand...What the person is saying...and also how I use GV is that you do NOT have to have your family and friends use your GV number to call you in order to use the features of GV. I have not given out my GV number to anyone other than things like online ads...really only use that number for cases where I don't want to give my real cell number out. You can setup call forwarding so that when someone calls your cell (your actual cell number) that they get put into your Google Voice mailbox. This is how I am using it, no need to ask anyone to contact you any other way then they normally would. -You can search it here or google how to setup up...very easy.

On the topic of the original question...I liked YouMail but the web management seemed to clunky to manage and setup groups. I really like the google web interface when I am the computer and want to manage messages, groups, etc.

Functionality wise on the BB both YouMail and GV work for me just as well but what made me try GV was the free transcription. Its not always on...sometimes its way off but usually good enough to get the point. And that service will continually get better as people rate their transcriptions. I haven't had a reason to go back to YouMail.
    10-30-09 09:31 AM
    I don't think you do understand...What the person is saying...and also how I use GV is that you do NOT have to have your family and friends use your GV number to call you in order to use the features of GV. I have not given out my GV number to anyone other than things like online ads...really only use that number for cases where I don't want to give my real cell number out. You can setup call forwarding so that when someone calls your cell (your actual cell number) that they get put into your Google Voice mailbox. This is how I am using it, no need to ask anyone to contact you any other way then they normally would. -You can search it here or google how to setup up...very easy.
    Interesting! No, this is new information to me, and you're right, I didn't understand. I didn't even know that was possible. I'm starting to look into it right now.
    10-30-09 09:45 AM
    Okay, I've enabled Google Voicemail on my Google Voice phone number.

First question: I don't want to delete my YouMail account. I just want to stop using it for now and test out Google Voice instead. I've exited out of the Youmail application on my phone so that it's no longer running. That's all I need to do, correct? I placed a test call to my cellphone number and, sure enough, it ended up in Google Voice... so I'm assuming I disabled YouMail properly. Just looking for assurance.

Second question: I really liked YouMail's "smart answer" capability, where the caller was addressed by an automated message stating their name, etc. Does Google Voice offer something like this? I combed through the settings and found nothing mentioning it. Call screening is enabled, and I have it set to screen all unknown callers. Additionally, Call Presentation is enabled. Help?
    10-30-09 10:10 AM
    I had YouMail for a long time (a few months at least). It worked well, no complaints.

I signed up for GoogleVoice yesterday. So keep in mind my impression is only a day old. But, it's fantastic. Much better than YouMail. The application is more fluid, looks better, and works better. You can have your Verizon voicemails go through it as well, so I get all my messages together. The transcriptions are at least twice as accurate, not to mention free. Only downside is that I still wish it downloaded messages automatically instead of polling every 5 minutes, but even YouMail had that.

-Cyrus
    10-30-09 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD