I have had my Storm 1.0 for over six months now. It is my 3rd BB. I can pretty much remember everytime I have upgraded my cell phone from the time I started with a "bag phone" many years ago. Each and every time I purchased a new phone, it was just that, a new phone. I am having a hard time justifying giving RIM my hard earned money for what is basically the same phone! Honestly, who would really notice the difference from the BB Storm 1 to the BB Storm 2? I know RIM would because they would have a couple hundred more of my dollars. Part of the enjoyment of getting a new phone is just that, it is a NEW PHONE. From what I can tell, the Storm 2 is simply a replacement for the problems with the Storm 1. Seriously, I went to Verizon's own website and did a side by side comparison of BOTH Storms. I could only find maybe a couple of small diferences from the two. I just did the upgrade to the new OS on my Storm 1. I am still trying to get the bugs worked out of it. Thanks to this forum I was able to get my Password Keeper back. I am still trying to figure out where my Storm Lock went?? Were talking about a simple app that should have came with the phone in the first place. HELLO, did the morons who developed the Storm 1 not try using the phone in the real world? If so, the would have quickly realized that in the "stock" form, any sort of pressure while actually using the darn thing could lead to any number of problems due to the screen gettting pushed from small pressure on the screen, DUH! I come accross many people who have the Storm 1. I go out of my way to ask them if they have Storm Lock installed. Many have paid to add this feature as I have. The ones who have not are quick to get it once informed. This is a VERY common problem.
    I was all set to purchase the Storm 2. Why should I? Would anyone know I have spent a couple hundred bucks on a new phone, I doubt it. Would I still have issues, I bet I would. Does the Storm 2 have any feature INCLUDED to disable the touch screen during a call?? Or do you have to pay extra for a simple feature that should already be included?
    Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard BB fan. I just cannot help but feel we are all being taken to the cleaners by RIM on this "New and Improved Storm 2". Whatever. How long before you all pony up for the next Storm 3??
    I guess I will just have to pay for Storm Lock again, since my Verizon Authorized Upgrade to the new O.S. has yet again failed me...
    P.S.
    I am in the process of inventing a new wheel. It works and looks the same but will cost a couple hundred dollars more than the wheels you have now. Shoot me an email and I will let you know how you can get this new and improved wheel. Oh yeah, lugnuts are extra...
    Whatever RIM!!!!!!!
    10-30-09 04:05 AM
    Yea pretty much its the same phone with 5.0 OS except the touchscreen on storm 2 is much nicer to type on it and the intergrated keys plus wifi is sweet

Promo buy one get one is good for it too I will take advantage to upgrade only because of this reason.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 04:14 AM
    Welcome to the cell phone industry. All of these companies do the same thing RIM has done with the Storm2. However, compared to the competition.. I'm really not disappointed in RIM because they upgraded the click technology, added wifi, doubled the microSD card storage, increased memory, closed the excessive gaps around the screen, added touch sensitive buttons to the screen, included a proximity sensor, improved the battery door, and added a nicer "chrome" finish around the phone along with rubber buttons instead of cheap plastic. Oh and how could I forget the added features of the new OS.. seems like a nice upgrade to me.

If anything.. it is a lot sleeker than the original storm.
    10-30-09 04:16 AM
    wow, such hatred to RIM. While I do agree to points of your post, you must remember, this is a business and not a charity.

Take into consideration a new car. Whats the difference between a 2009 Ford Mustang and a 2010 Ford Mustang? Virtually nothing. Sure, a few minor "fixes".

All RIM is doing is trying to make some money to stay afloat in this economy. Don't hate on them for that. Now, I do agree that there really isn't that MUCH difference between Storm1 and Storm2 (wifi and "touch" buttons?!), it does show that RIM is doing research and developing their product so hey, in a year and I'm up for an upgrade, StormX (3? 4? 15?), here I come!

I do appreciate the post though.

Tech Help - Next time you go to upgrade your OS, be it to an "Official" OS or a leaked/beta OS, make sure to back up your phone AS WELL AS 3rd party apps. That will save your lack of Storm Lock from OS to OS... And most times, the Developer of Storm Lock will have you on record that you already paid and can let you download again for free. Or if you downloaded through crackberry.com (aka - GOD in website form!). If that is not the case, email the developer, they normally can help you out!

Berry on.
    10-30-09 04:17 AM
    I went to Verizon's own website and did a side by side comparison of BOTH Storms. I could only find maybe a couple of small diferences from the two...

Does the Storm 2 have any feature INCLUDED to disable the touch screen during a call?? Or do you have to pay extra for a simple feature that should already be included?

...since my Verizon Authorized Upgrade to the new O.S. has yet again failed me...
    To address these concerns in the order presented in the above quote:

1) Yes, there are actually several differences between the two devices. The differences are listed in Kevin's "Official" review here.

2) The S2 does have a "Face detection" ability, or prox sensor that will lock the screen during a call.

3) It was stated many times thru the OS 5.0 updates that not all Apps would immediately transfer over. It's the App Designer's job to update their software to work on the new OS, not RIM or VZW.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions and concerns. I'm sorry you aren't as interested in the new Storm2 as much as I am, but since you are a dedicated Crackberry user, in time I believe you will find what you're looking for...

-GNRPowdeR
    10-30-09 04:25 AM
    I had three big issues with my Storm 1;

1) Screen-Click was uneven and I could see light eminating from underneeth the screen which looked like crap.
    2) Not enough memory
    3) No Wifi

RIM addressed all three. So for me, its worth the upgrade.
    10-30-09 06:39 AM
    I have had my Storm 1.0 for over six months now. It is my 3rd BB. I can pretty much remember everytime I have upgraded my cell phone from the time I started with a "bag phone" many years ago. Each and every time I purchased a new phone, it was just that, a new phone. I am having a hard time justifying giving RIM my hard earned money for what is basically the same phone! Honestly, who would really notice the difference from the BB Storm 1 to the BB Storm 2? I know RIM would because they would have a couple hundred more of my dollars. Part of the enjoyment of getting a new phone is just that, it is a NEW PHONE. From what I can tell, the Storm 2 is simply a replacement for the problems with the Storm 1. Seriously, I went to Verizon's own website and did a side by side comparison of BOTH Storms. I could only find maybe a couple of small diferences from the two. I just did the upgrade to the new OS on my Storm 1. I am still trying to get the bugs worked out of it. Thanks to this forum I was able to get my Password Keeper back. I am still trying to figure out where my Storm Lock went?? Were talking about a simple app that should have came with the phone in the first place. HELLO, did the morons who developed the Storm 1 not try using the phone in the real world? If so, the would have quickly realized that in the "stock" form, any sort of pressure while actually using the darn thing could lead to any number of problems due to the screen gettting pushed from small pressure on the screen, DUH! I come accross many people who have the Storm 1. I go out of my way to ask them if they have Storm Lock installed. Many have paid to add this feature as I have. The ones who have not are quick to get it once informed. This is a VERY common problem.
    I was all set to purchase the Storm 2. Why should I? Would anyone know I have spent a couple hundred bucks on a new phone, I doubt it. Would I still have issues, I bet I would. Does the Storm 2 have any feature INCLUDED to disable the touch screen during a call?? Or do you have to pay extra for a simple feature that should already be included?
    Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard BB fan. I just cannot help but feel we are all being taken to the cleaners by RIM on this "New and Improved Storm 2". Whatever. How long before you all pony up for the next Storm 3??
    I guess I will just have to pay for Storm Lock again, since my Verizon Authorized Upgrade to the new O.S. has yet again failed me...
    P.S.
    I am in the process of inventing a new wheel. It works and looks the same but will cost a couple hundred dollars more than the wheels you have now. Shoot me an email and I will let you know how you can get this new and improved wheel. Oh yeah, lugnuts are extra...
    Whatever RIM!!!!!!!
    Damn, it's just likr the new BMW I just bought! Those suckers only changed a few minor things and made a couple of improvements in the engine and they wanted me to pay a New Car price!!!! Can you believe that!??? they didn't give me a new one for free or even a 50% discount! If your thnking of buying a new BMW, save your money! It's just like the old one, but new and improved! the Audacity of those folks!
    10-30-09 06:57 AM
    Though the Storm2 isn't a huge upgrade from the Storm1, the few major changes would merit a change if those changes were important to you.

1. Better touch screen. That's a real big deal for any touch screen phone.
    2. Smoother/faster/less buggy OS.
    3. Wi-Fi.

Those three items alone are enough to upgrade from the old Storm1. Though, if you're happy with the Storm1 there's no reason to upgrade. I think the Storm2 i more for those who were looking to upgrade.
    10-30-09 07:10 AM
    You could give some people a "Rolls Royce" and they still wouldn't be satisfied
    10-30-09 07:15 AM
    if u want a stormslider type app preloaded, get an iphone.

i never really had a problem with pressing the mute or speakerphone button with my face, simple dont try to talk with the phone on ur shoulder, only time i noticed that and i rarely do that, thats what bluetooth is for.

and its an upgrade not a new phone, just like the env, env2 and so on
    Last edited by superebear; 10-30-09 at 07:24 AM.
    10-30-09 07:21 AM
    I just got a Storm 2 from Verizon today. I have a 2008 BMW 5 series. When I "pair" the bluetooth it loses the connection every time in the middle of a call. Any ideas/fixes?
    11-18-09 01:01 PM
    After having my Storm2 for a few weeks, I finally sat down and played around with my father's Storm1. While I certainly wouldn't want to go backwards, I can understand why one would not want to spend the money to jump from the Storm1 to the Storm2. Though the Storm2 certainly is better, the Storm1 really isn't all that bad. For me however, I was coming from an entirely different phone and carrier and I had to purchase a new phone. I can't really see anyone opting to purchase a new Storm1 over a new Storm2, even for the $100 price savings.

11-18-09 01:11 PM
    I just got a Storm 2 from Verizon today. I have a 2008 BMW 5 series. When I "pair" the bluetooth it loses the connection every time in the middle of a call. Any ideas/fixes?
    Think you need the 7 series to work with the S2!
    11-18-09 01:14 PM
    Nobody held a gun to your head, RIM is not the government so they cant make you pay or spend anything, you have a 30 day trial, there are other phones and phone companies out there. If anybody feels like they've been "had" because they purchased a particular phone from a phone company and it wasnt revolutionary to them, it is their own fault for keeping it. Surely you didnt find all this out after the 30 day trial. You didnt think the Storm 2 wasnt an upgrade? Dont upgrade. You dont like the Storm? Get something else. Only YOU can do something about it. I spent my money. I love the phone and it works great for me. I didnt expect it to be something or do something its not/cant. I researched and made an informed decision. To me, it payed off.
    11-18-09 01:30 PM
    Piezo screen and more memory are more than enough incentive for me.

11-18-09 01:59 PM
    It's a year better...Better click screen, wifi, more memory, and slicker design. Thats imo a upgrade for the better...
    11-18-09 02:19 PM
    i hate my storm!!
    11-18-09 02:26 PM
    Holy necro batman.
    11-18-09 02:29 PM
    I'll do you one better than that... The new 5.0 OS has face detection built in... If a larger area than a finger or 2 are touching the screen, it dims and turns off... I got rid of TalkLock because it's no longer needed... Even though I liked my cool wallpaper when I was on a call...
    11-18-09 03:25 PM
    The OP is a moron. He acts like RIM only upgraded the phone for current Storm owners. Newsflash dips**t... there are about 250,000,000 cell phone users who don't own the Storm that they are trying to sell this upgraded product to.
    11-18-09 03:34 PM
    what are you trying to prove here? All cell phone companies do the same thing. Remember iPhone 1, 2 (3G), and 3 (3GS)? Every new device is a small improvement of the last.
    11-18-09 03:41 PM
    You need to update the driver for the bmw Seriously, does it do it after so many minutes, have you noticed a pattern? Have you tried another phone? Might want to start a new thread on the issue.
    11-18-09 04:01 PM
    Before the Storm2, there's no way I would have considered a touch screen phone. I checked out the Storm1 when it first came out and thought it was a lemon, and am sincerely impressed by all the people that stuck by the device waiting for improvement. Well, I think that improvement wasn't truly met until the S2, but if you're happy with the S1, then stick with it. One dollar, one vote, and if you don't think RIM and the S2 deserves your vote, then don't give it.
    11-18-09 04:17 PM
    P.S.
    Whatever RIM!!!!!!!
    The S2 also allows us to type messages using paragraphs
    11-18-09 09:54 PM
    um what do you think happened with the iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone 3GS...im sure it will be the same but i must say, i thought the same thing but i gave in and bought the storm 2 and man...this thing is amazing. Just my 2 cents
    11-18-09 10:33 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD