Looks like Amaze has changed their model
    Shop - amAze free maps and affordable GPS Navigation for mobile phones || amAzeGPS.com

It is not free anymore, not sure about the version 4.5 already installed on my phone. Anyone know more details ?
    10-29-09 09:50 PM
    The version 5.0 and you get some features for free not sure about all the free features. I haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 10:06 PM
    Ver 5.0 Is junk. Nothing is free but asking for GPS coordinates.
    You can't even get directions for free anymore with that version.

Uninstalled....reinstalled ver 4.5 found at the bottom of the initial website screen.

Dm
    Last edited by Detman101; 10-30-09 at 02:31 PM.
    10-29-09 11:21 PM
    I tried it and it sucked. Im glad they have a link to download the old 4.5 on their page because luckily i was able to revert back to that version that actually IS free.
    10-30-09 10:01 AM
    Total crap - the free version is now different than Google Maps, with the additional overhead of voice files, etc.

Where is the 4.5 download link??
    Last edited by Manevitch; 11-02-09 at 09:06 PM. Reason: oops
    11-02-09 09:04 PM
    4.5 is still free - 5.0 is using their new pay model.

The 4.5 link should be at the bottom of their web page.
    11-03-09 07:50 AM
    Found it - thanks.
    11-03-09 10:29 AM
    Saw the "review" for amAze 5.0 on the front page of CB, which isn't really a review at all. I have no interest in paying for this or any GPS. I actually have a regular GPS I could use, but I'd like a functional free one on my phone.

Honestly, for local navigation, Google Maps wasn't too bad. It basically just gives directions and then a list of turns, and the GPS/cell site tells you how far you are on your route.

Does Blackberry Maps have a GPS in it? I'm AT&T on the 9700 Bold, so i think they locked it so I can't use it.
    01-26-10 10:37 AM
    If anyone's interested in getting another opinion on amAze, here's mine FWIW:

Of the 5 or 6 mobile GPS apps I've tried, amAze is BY FAR the worst. It would never let me stay on the highway, no matter where my destination was or how I had my trip optimized (shortest distance vs. fastest route, etc.). It always wanted me to exit and take side streets. In several cases when my destination was straight ahead, it would have me turn left, right, right and left, taking me around 3 unnecessary sides of a block instead of just continuing straight. It took me on all kinds of crazy detours and since it doesn't say the street names, it was easy to get lost. The menus were totally convoluted and a pain to navigate, making it impossible to use safely in a car, which in my opinion, defeats the purpose of a GPS navi app. I'd rather pay to use Gokivo than use amAze for free, and now you can't use amaze for free anymore anyway. Save your time and money.

It's possible that a few of my issues have been fixed since I never wanted to touch it again, but I never understood how it could even compete with things like Gokivo, Nav4All, LifeInPocket, etc. out there. It seems al of them are going the way of charging, which doesn't particularly surprise me, but if I were going to pay for a GPS navi app, I sure wouldn't reach for the worst one I've ever used.
    01-26-10 02:06 PM
    amaze had a pretty good following with 4.5.

Then they took forever to release 5.0 (a year or so late), no fixes inbetween, lied about why it wasn't releasing, then ended up switching to a paid model at the last minute (obviously they knew all along) without really fixing much.

5.0 was supposed to be an update to the free version...

So they lost a bunch of their community...
    01-26-10 02:09 PM
    If anyone's interested in getting another opinion on amAze, here's mine FWIW:

Of the 5 or 6 mobile GPS apps I've tried, amAze is BY FAR the worst. It would never let me stay on the highway, no matter where my destination was or how I had my trip optimized (shortest distance vs. fastest route, etc.). It always wanted me to exit and take side streets. In several cases when my destination was straight ahead, it would have me turn left, right, right and left, taking me around 3 unnecessary sides of a block instead of just continuing straight. It took me on all kinds of crazy detours and since it doesn't say the street names, it was easy to get lost. The menus were totally convoluted and a pain to navigate, making it impossible to use safely in a car, which in my opinion, defeats the purpose of a GPS navi app. I'd rather pay to use Gokivo than use amAze for free, and now you can't use amaze for free anymore anyway. Save your time and money.

It's possible that a few of my issues have been fixed since I never wanted to touch it again, but I never understood how it could even compete with things like Gokivo, Nav4All, LifeInPocket, etc. out there. It seems al of them are going the way of charging, which doesn't particularly surprise me, but if I were going to pay for a GPS navi app, I sure wouldn't reach for the worst one I've ever used.
    Gokivo used to be free too and many CB users were bragging about it but it started charging $10 per month without notice. Nav4All is more honest, they said clearly that they would start charge money from 1/1/2010 on their web site. Amaze could do that too but they just caught everyone in surprise.
    01-26-10 03:51 PM
    Looks good
    01-26-10 03:57 PM
    I dumped Amaze back in December when, on a trip from Florida to Alabama, it routed me through Kentucky (check a map) - about 700-ish miles off course, iirc. I pulled into a McDonald's, downloaded Garmin Navigator, and bought a license for it within 2 days. Nice interface, instant rerouting when traffic gets bad, and $20 discount through BB Owner's Lounge.
    01-26-10 05:22 PM
    I dumped Amaze back in December when, on a trip from Florida to Alabama, it routed me through Kentucky (check a map) - about 700-ish miles off course, iirc. I pulled into a McDonald's, downloaded Garmin Navigator, and bought a license for it within 2 days. Nice interface, instant rerouting when traffic gets bad, and $20 discount through BB Owner's Lounge.
    Haha, that's hilarious. I may be a pasty Northerner, but I'm pretty sure I could find a better route from Florida to Alabama.

I'm never going to pay for a GPS on this phone b/c I do have an entry-level Magellan GPS that works great when I need to do any type of heavy navigation. But in the event that I'm in someone else's car or don't have the Magellan with me, Google Maps does a good enough job to get me where I'm going. It would be nice if there were a free turn-by-turn alternative, but I understand why there isn't.
    01-27-10 08:45 AM
    I'm never going to pay for a GPS on this phone b/c I do have an entry-level Magellan GPS that works great when I need to do any type of heavy navigation. But in the event that I'm in someone else's car or don't have the Magellan with me, Google Maps does a good enough job to get me where I'm going. It would be nice if there were a free turn-by-turn alternative, but I understand why there isn't.
    The greatest feature of Garmin Communicator for me is the automatic rerouting when traffic gets heavy. When you're on a 13-hour road trip, that's pretty important.
    01-27-10 01:21 PM
    I tried it and it sucked. Im glad they have a link to download the old 4.5 on their page because luckily i was able to revert back to that version that actually IS free.
    Sabbotage,

Did you get download notifications for the new version after you reloaded v4.5?? I have v4.5 and I get "current version out of date. Please reload new version". Nothing I can do except download the new version, V4.5 won't work. I liked that it was free but it would freeze if I received a text or email. I may just fork out the one time fee for garmin.
    01-27-10 01:51 PM
    The greatest feature of Garmin Communicator for me is the automatic rerouting when traffic gets heavy. When you're on a 13-hour road trip, that's pretty important.
    Does Garmin use much phone memory or mostly browser data? With unlimited data plan that would be great if not much phone memory, more room for other apps!
    01-27-10 02:02 PM
    Strictly browser data. The entire program takes up 1.7MB on my 8900.
    01-27-10 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD