I just watched the first video here:

Motorola DROID first hands-on! (update: video, impressions, more pics)

I noted these issues or flubs:

00:12 Shouldn't the screen orientation be changing here?

2:51 Seem to be trying to show a landscape mode virtual keyboard, but it never displays. Slides out the physical KB and, when she closes it, the phone switches back to Portrait mode, even though she is still holding it sideways.

3:05 Touches the Motorola (she says "Messaging") icon on the screen and nothing happens. Touches it again at 3:22 and the email client opens.

4:10 Touches the Home screen physical button and nothing happens. Touches it again at 4:12 and it goes back to the Home screen.

5:33 Finally gets that Landscape virtual KB to display.

6:29 From the Multimedia Station Home screen, it takes 4 touches or swipes to be able to pause the music player.

6:37 Takes phone out of Multimedia dock and says "it goes right back to whatever application I was using previously" but what actually happens is she presses the Home (? I think) physical key 3 times on the phone before it finally goes back to the Home screen.

7:14 Does a voice search from the Navigation Screen (for the W Times Square hotel). Says it will come up with a list of results and then be able to navigate you. Maybe so. But the actual results look an awful lot like a regular browser with results from a standard Google search. Hard to imagine how that would then turn into a real GPS-enabled turn-by-turn navigation program. Building a Nav program on top of browser search results seems like an awfully goofy way to go about it, if that's really how it works.

7:18 Touches the Back key and nothing happens. Touches it again at 7:27 and it finally goes back to Nav screen.

8:12 Touches the Pandora app and nothing happens. Touches it again at 8:14. Still nothing. Goes on without showing Pandora (or commenting on it).

8:34 Touches the USA Today app. Gets message "Headlines does not support this screen orientation." Phone is being held in Landscape orientation.

9:38 Removes from car dock. Still holding phone in Landscape. Phone screen goes back to Portrait. She then turns phone to Portrait.

9:41 Turns phone back to Landscape, screen does not change, she turns phone back to Portrait. Opens YouTube Video Camera. Phone is still Portrait but app opens in Landscape. She then turns it to Landscape again.

10:20 Again turns phone to Landscape and tries to do something with YouTube widget. But phone doesn't change orientation, so she turns it back to Portrait to select a video to play.

10:35 Video starts playing in Landscape, even though phone is in Portrait.
    10-29-09 04:43 PM
    A lot of those seem to be strictly issues of the screen orientation and maybe those were actually by design. I don't know.

But, there were enough issues of trying to do things that simply did not work or she had to touch/press the button multiple times that I am now firmly in Wait And See mode on Andriod 2.0 and the Droid phone.
    10-29-09 04:45 PM
    Wow, not much going on in your life, huh?

Someone's got way too much time on their hands. Why don't you go back to your Storm/Storm2 forum and stir things up there?

I seem to remember you posting something similar in another thread, so why start a thread on this? Not enough bites on your trolling action perhaps?
    Last edited by xliderider; 10-29-09 at 04:49 PM.
    10-29-09 04:46 PM
    A lot of those seem to be strictly issues of the screen orientation and maybe those were actually by design. I don't know.

But, there were enough issues of trying to do things that simply did not work or she had to touch/press the button multiple times that I am now firmly in Wait And See mode on Andriod 2.0 and the Droid phone.
    She does have rather long fingernails, and the Droid does have a capacitive touch screen. Perhaps she was pressing the screen with her fingernails instead of the finger?

The iPhone doesn't work with a stylus or a fingernail either.
    10-29-09 04:48 PM
    I think part of the problem is that these Reps weren't fully versed in the phone. BGR didn't have nearly the problems with it that they did. BGR doesn't get excited for crap.

SHould I do this with a storm or storm 2 video? I would but youtube's pause isn't accurate enough for me to stop it every .5 seconds.
    10-29-09 04:48 PM
    You do realize this is a pre-release device...
    10-29-09 04:50 PM
    i cant believe a storm owner is complaining about an os being buggy just remember when the storm was first released enough said
    10-29-09 04:59 PM
    why so much hate for this device? geez, get a life! you storm owners will try anything to make another phone look bad...that rep didn't know squat on how to use the phone...have you checked out the other videos that show how fast this thing is? probably not, you just focused on the 1 video that obviously shows that the rep had no clue on what she was doing...why don't you check all of the video out, there's a forum here that includes videos from phonedog, phonescoop, pcmag, etc...here you go: http://forums.crackberry.com/f169/vi...p-shop-349686/
    10-29-09 05:10 PM

Just wait until you can "kick the tires" yourself next Friday instead of wasting sleep over that video. You may not even like the phone anyway, once you try it, so any defects will be a moot point (from your POV).
    10-29-09 05:16 PM
    Why do they release videos of morons who don't know what they're talking about going on about phones? I want hands-on impressions from a smartphone power user, not some corporate bimbo.
    10-29-09 05:19 PM
    StuartV == Dud
    10-29-09 05:23 PM
    why do they release videos of morons who don't know what they're talking about going on about phones? I want hands-on impressions from a smartphone power user, not some corporate bimbo.
    agreed!!!!!
    10-29-09 05:26 PM
    Watch other vids. The first two vids engadget put up dont give the phone any justice whatsoever. The woman in that vid was clueless and barely knew how to use it. Other vids show reviewers using it just fine and it appears to be fluid for the most part. The 2nd video they put up shows a guy using the gsm version...and it appears to be laggy. But what he didnt know is that you cant just start using it off the bat. You have to allow it to bootup all the background apps before diving into it.

But seriously, just watch other vids and you'll fall in love.
    10-29-09 05:31 PM
    Watch other vids. The first two vids engadget put up dont give the phone any justice whatsoever. The woman in that vid was clueless and barely knew how to use it. Other vids show reviewers using it just fine and it appears to be fluid for the most part. The 2nd video they put up shows a guy using the gsm version...and it appears to be laggy. But what he didnt know is that you cant just start using it off the bat. You have to allow it to bootup all the background apps before diving into it.

But seriously, just watch other vids and you'll fall in love.
    he won't fall in love...he's been talking crap about the Droid the whole time here...I think he is trying to stir up some controversy over here in the Android section because the Droid has hijacked the Storm/Storm2 forums
    10-29-09 05:34 PM
    There is an option to lock the orientation, which obviously she did not change in the settings.
    10-29-09 05:45 PM
    We'll know for sure next week.........
    10-29-09 05:46 PM
    He actually went through a 10.5 minute video pausing and writing down time stamps and notes HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is funny stuff
    10-29-09 05:47 PM
    He actually went through a 10.5 minute video pausing and writing down time stamps and notes HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That is funny stuff
    U know I didn't quite think of it like that..............
    Screen envy.
    BTW web browser didn't do to bad against the iphone.
    Scrolls much better.
    10-29-09 05:56 PM
    You can change the orientation settings in the phone to show the keyboard and go into landscape mode without pulling out the physical keyboard.
    10-29-09 10:24 PM
    Case in point... don't let a girl show you what a phone can do... unless that girl is ME.

I will give you one point. On a BB you can pause and control volume of the Media Player (music or whatever) while the app is not necessarily the active app. There may not be a way to do that on the Droid.
    10-30-09 12:22 AM
    I don't think its a dud. Its certainly got the hardware and software to make one **** of an Android experience. Four things off the top of my head that would keep me from this phone are - Its on Verizon, its the ugliest phone I've ever seen in my life, no multi touch in the browser, but on the V. KB only (Srsly?), its the ugliest phone I've ever seen in my life.
    10-30-09 12:38 AM
    Get a life

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 04:00 AM
    Case in point... don't let a girl show you what a phone can do... unless that girl is ME.

I will give you one point. On a BB you can pause and control volume of the Media Player (music or whatever) while the app is not necessarily the active app. There may not be a way to do that on the Droid.
    U build phones........................
    10-30-09 04:48 AM
    I don't think its a dud. Its certainly got the hardware and software to make one **** of an Android experience. Four things off the top of my head that would keep me from this phone are - Its on Verizon, its the ugliest phone I've ever seen in my life, no multi touch in the browser, but on the V. KB only (Srsly?), its the ugliest phone I've ever seen in my life.
    ummm...why keep coming on this board saying it's the ugliest phone ever? I seriously doubt that it is the ugliest phone you've ever seen...one can say the Hero on sprint is pretty darn ugly compared to the original one
    10-30-09 07:49 AM
    LOL ... and now the the Droid comes to life!
    10-30-09 08:03 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD