I currently own a blackberry tour and looking to give storm2 a try.
    However, I am also quite interested in the Droid as well.

After gathering some information on both, Droid seems like it'll be more capable than the Storm2 when it comes to entertainment with robust selection of applications. (The adroid app community overall seems much larger and growing rapidly)

Storm2 can pretty much do everything that droid can do (minus the qwerty keyboard), but falls short on few elements. (Camera, free google nav, etc.)

But how about emails? How does Android's Email platform differ from the Blackberry's Email? (Is one more secure? robust than the other?)

I have read an article on how it differs from WM, but I could not find any information on how it is compares to the Android OS.

Thanks in advance!
    10-29-09 12:04 PM
    Your summation of the benefits of a Droid falls well short of listing all the way it's the more impressive/advanced device.

There's only three reasons to buy a Storm II over a Droid:

1. You require a world phone
    2. You need a BlackBerry for business
    3. You're a BlackBerry devotee

The advantages of Storm II over a Droid, with regard to messaging, are insignificant. Droids do "push mail" in much the same way as BBs. And in almost every other area the Droid is the superior device.

Greg
    10-29-09 12:11 PM
    I currently own a blackberry tour and looking to give storm2 a try.
    However, I am also quite interested in the Droid as well.

After gathering some information on both, Droid seems like it'll be more capable than the Storm2 when it comes to entertainment with robust selection of applications. (The adroid app community overall seems much larger and growing rapidly)

Storm2 can pretty much do everything that droid can do (minus the qwerty keyboard), but falls short on few elements. (Camera, free google nav, etc.)

But how about emails? How does Android's Email platform differ from the Blackberry's Email? (Is one more secure? robust than the other?)

I have read an article on how it differs from WM, but I could not find any information on how it is compares to the Android OS.

Thanks in advance!
    First off, BOTH phones have QWERTY keyboards (don't know where you got the thought that the Storm2 doesn't). Camera- 5MP vs. 3.2 ... Do you really need more resolution? Google Maps - is free navigation ... for whatever you download it on (I haven't tried it on the Storm2, but it worked great on my Tour).

E-Mails? Well, I'm a businessperson, and I run a BES. So, I'm a little biased. From this standpoint, BES+BB device is more secure than whatever e-mail "app" you're putting on a different type of phone (IMO). Maybe it's push to the Droid, but I know my BES pushes to my phone almost faster than my MAPI connection in Outlook on the LAN.

So...
    - BES (synchronized with all contacts, including BBM)
    - BBM, speaking of that.
    - Global capabilities

I wouldn't say that the Storm2 is a "better" phone (nor that the Droid is better). I AM saying it's a Blackberry.
    10-29-09 12:55 PM
    I just got the Storm 2 and was on the fence about checking out the Droid. I stuck with the Storm 2 because:

1. It's a world phone and I travel frequently so this is very handy.
    2. I don't know if this is really an issue but I don't have exchange on my Storm 2 but instead use OWA to get my work email. It's delayed a few minutes but works good enough. I don't know how Droid would handle this one.
    11-03-09 04:49 PM
    First off, BOTH phones have QWERTY keyboards (don't know where you got the thought that the Storm2 doesn't). Camera- 5MP vs. 3.2 ... Do you really need more resolution? Google Maps - is free navigation ... for whatever you download it on (I haven't tried it on the Storm2, but it worked great on my Tour).

The droid has both a physical qwerty and virtual ones whereas the Storm2 only has a virtual one. I think the physical keyboard argument is moot cause it's mediocre at best.

As for Camera, The Storm2 probably takes better pictures and has less shutter lag but the video camera on the droid is a lot better.

The Google Navigation app is leaps and bounds ahead of anything that you can download for the Tour or Storm2 and offers free voice-guided turn by turn directions and will cache your route in case you lose data coverage. It's currently only available for Android 2.0 and the Droid will be the first phone to use it.

^ The droid will use the builtin activesync included with exchange. Supposedly verizon will charge an extra $45 for exchange support like they do BES for the blackberries but no one is sure how they'll enforce it.
    11-03-09 05:06 PM

E-Mails? Well, I'm a businessperson, and I run a BES. So, I'm a little biased. From this standpoint, BES+BB device is more secure than whatever e-mail "app" you're putting on a different type of phone (IMO). Maybe it's push to the Droid, but I know my BES pushes to my phone almost faster than my MAPI connection in Outlook on the LAN.

So...
    - BES (synchronized with all contacts, including BBM)
    - BBM, speaking of that.
    - Global capabilities

I wouldn't say that the Storm2 is a "better" phone (nor that the Droid is better). I AM saying it's a Blackberry.
    BBM... the most overrated feature this site has ever seen.
    11-03-09 05:07 PM
    The Storm 2 has one big disadvantage. It is is here, with all of its good and bad attributes. The Droid is only on paper, you don't know what its like until Friday the 6th.
    Last edited by Ultrafied; 11-03-09 at 11:26 PM.
    11-03-09 05:45 PM
    The droid has both a physical qwerty and virtual ones whereas the Storm2 only has a virtual one. I think the physical keyboard argument is moot cause it's mediocre at best.

As for Camera, The Storm2 probably takes better pictures and has less shutter lag but the video camera on the droid is a lot better.

The Google Navigation app is leaps and bounds ahead of anything that you can download for the Tour or Storm2 and offers free voice-guided turn by turn directions and will cache your route in case you lose data coverage. It's currently only available for Android 2.0 and the Droid will be the first phone to use it.

^ The droid will use the builtin activesync included with exchange. Supposedly verizon will charge an extra $45 for exchange support like they do BES for the blackberries but no one is sure how they'll enforce it.
    The Droids keyboard is horrible. What's even worse is it's camera. It is one of the worst camera on any device on the market.

The mail on the droid is atrocious. IMHO.

The droid has great battery life, a fast browser most of the time and an awesome screen.

The Droid overall is a good device. But not something I could use everyday. In some ways it's better than S2, and in some ways S2 is better than the Droid. It all comes down to personal preference.
    11-03-09 05:50 PM
    The Droids keyboard is horrible.
    the droid virtual keyboard looks good for both portrait and landscape though. there's also an app for suretype style layout in portrait mode which = win in my book.

not expecting to be impressed by the droid physical keyboard. may turn out to be a nice option to have especially since you're not giving up much to get it. droid is still slimmer than the s2.

What's even worse is it's camera. It is one of the worst camera on any device on the market.
    this seems to be a software issue and not hardware. should be fixed quickly. at least it can take a pic or video without resetting or giving format errors like a certain blackberry released with os .65.

The mail on the droid is atrocious. IMHO.
    this is the one thing so far that gives me cause for concern. a few reviews have been less than reassuring on the mail capabilities. mail is a 60-70% of why i use a smart phone. i'm willing to accept a trade-off to some extent, but only if it can be fixed soon and isn't too bad right now.

The droid has great battery life, a fast browser most of the time and an awesome screen.
    this is good to know. batt life should at least be on par with my s2. the screen and browser are getting high marks all around.

The Droid overall is a good device. But not something I could use everyday. In some ways it's better than S2, and in some ways S2 is better than the Droid. It all comes down to personal preference.
    gonna be fun to see how the two match up. the s1 was my primary phone for almost a year, but i've been using the s2 for a week now. s2 is better than the s1 for sure, i'll have to see if it's good enough to beat out the droid all things considered.
    11-03-09 09:17 PM
    I'm excited to be able to zoom in on a PDF document I get emailed to me. It is impossible to view a PDF on any of the Blackberry's I have ever owned, w/o a pricey third party app (which refuse to pay for because I keep thinking RIM will fix this problem).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-09 10:38 PM
    I'm excited to be able to zoom in on a PDF document I get emailed to me. It is impossible to view a PDF on any of the Blackberry's I have ever owned, w/o a pricey third party app (which refuse to pay for because I keep thinking RIM will fix this problem).

my storm has pdf viewing and zooming and it always worked well. It just can't be used on the card. The viewer is only in mail.
    11-04-09 02:35 AM

What? I've been getting .pdf's in emails over the last few weeks, opening them and zooming in on them to read the tiny print on my small screen. Didn't know my 8900 could do it, but it worked perfectly. Didn't pay a thing for it either, I think it's a part of documents to go.
    11-04-09 08:49 AM
    I had a chance to play with the Droid for a bit today. The keyboard really wasn't as bad as I thought. My right thumb did have to stretch a bit to get to the keys but I think I will be able to get used to it.

I've been reading that the reviewers are having trouble loading up yahoo email accounts. Other then that, I love how I do not have to give up combined inbox that I have in my blackberry. Droid will also color label all the emails i get from different accounts which is a nice touch.

I have a feeling that i'm really going to miss physical keys to make and end calls..

Will be picking up my Droid for the mid night launch on thursday to see how the email function will work compared to the blackberry. If it's no good... I will be selling my tour to get me the Storm2. =)
    11-04-09 01:49 PM
    I went back to VZW yesterday and played around with the S2 for another 10-15 minutes. I messed around with it last Friday for a good half hour, and if typing on the S2 is an improvement over the S1, the S1 must really have been horrible because typing on the S2 is a joke. An absolute joke. You can't type a sentence without having a typo to go back and fix. Sorry, but the Droid HAS to be better. Lord knows it can't be worse.
    11-04-09 02:17 PM
    I have 8 emails accounts.. mostly different business accounts. (I'm a consultant)
    Configuring all 8 on the Droid sucked. It drained the battery so quick. ( i get emails all day by the minutes). only exchange sync was "push", everything else, the droid went out to get; which caused the batter to drain quicker.

the Blackberry, hands down in terms of emails, was Better. First off. the BES server is a lot better then exchange sync-push technology (especially if you have large emails accounts). My other work account are pushed out via BIS.
    thus my BB is not going out to retrieve mails; which uses less battery.

I wish RIM would incorporate droid OS into there back end Email Technology, as there OS is so much better then BB, and/or Google would come out with there own version of BIS.
    04-30-10 09:51 AM
    I was able to get my hands on a Droid and let me say I am less than impressed with the e-mail on this bad boy.

All of the accounts of e-mail problems are right on, and if you are e-mail dependent then the BB is the way to go (or stay, I am going back to my S2 when the replacement comes this week)

The browser is fantastic and I did enjoy how the contacts and calendar sync with Google but other than that it's a toy IMO only.
    05-23-10 06:00 AM
    Is the Droid still deleting mail automatically?

05-23-10 08:14 AM
    Is the Droid still deleting mail automatically?

What? I've never heard or experienced that issue.

Anyway, email is much better on the Droid than S2.
    05-23-10 08:18 AM
    What? I've never heard or experienced that issue.

Anyway, email is much better on the Droid than S2.
    There are many posts on this in android forums.

www.techspot.com/news/37280-motorola-droid-users-experiencing-email-deletion-bug.html

05-23-10 08:31 AM
    There are many posts on this in android forums.

Motorola Droid users experiencing email deletion bug - TechSpot News

I'm in the majority that doesn't have this issue so I assume it was fixed with the 2.1 update. When I bought my Droid it was running 2.0.1 so I never had 2.0 (which is probably where the issue occurred).
    05-23-10 08:49 AM
    Finally got to punish a Storm 2 - Gotta tell ya... profoundly under impressed. Having a Storm 1 - and knowing the issues that I have had to tailor away with work-arounds, upgrades and faulty hardware.. This model is no better. It is sleeker and has more memory but speed is still horribly compromised compared to the droid based phones I have sampled. Granted there are loads of apps that can now run in the extra memory but the battery life is not improved over the Storm 1. The wifi connection is only marginally better than the iphone based on the sites I tested. Not for me.
    05-24-10 09:46 AM
    i've had both and the storm2 is better than the storm1...but only because there's no dust under the screen, it has wifi, opengl compatible, and will support os 6. otherwise the experience is mostly the same.
    05-24-10 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD