Im in the same boat as many people...the storm was my first blackberry...i loved the convenience of the blackberry and BBM but i absolutely hated the storm....sooo i got the Tour and ive renewed my faith in blackberry and their phones....now that the storm2 is supposed to be what the Storm shoulda been the first time i'm jammed up....do i go back with the Storm2 or do i stick with my Tour....and then the thought pops into my head....well if im gonna go with Storm2 should I just wait it out and see what the Android is really all about.....decisions decisions.....any suggestions....mind you theres absolutely nothing wrong with my Tour i just have a constant need to have the newest technology.....its quite shallow
    10-29-09 12:01 PM
    I drank the coolaid & got the S2 from the S1. I personally like Blackberry phones. Never used anything other than them So I can't speak about the Droid OS. Perhaps you should wait until they release the Droid and you hear feedback on it. I have 30 days to test out the new S2. Hopefully they will fix the darn Wifi issue. But for the most part, I am happy that I upgraded to S2. I like the screen much better than S1. Just my opinion.
    10-29-09 12:06 PM
    Wait for Android to decide. Do not buy the S2 then exchange to the Android. Too many trips to the store, possible restock fee, possible contact sync issue...

Just get the one you want the first time. The Droid is amazing but Blackberry is still King when it comes to a productivity device. (Sorry iPhone fanboys...your $200 fart button might be cool, but that's where it ends)

I have been hands on with the Droid and it's freakishly fast (in my area). If you're in it for Apps, the Android Marketplace has about 10K apps and this number will skyrocket with Google going to Big Red.

The only question is will you be upset if you pay the price again (from your S1) for being an early adopter?
    10-29-09 12:13 PM
    tru i hear that.....thats the thing all in all i know the better of the two phones is more then likely gonna be the droid.....but i have literally like 40 friends that all just switched to blackberries after me and i really dont wanna lose the BBM capability
    10-29-09 12:22 PM
    If you are going to use your phone for business, stay with BB. If you want more social networking, etc., look at the Droid.
    10-29-09 12:25 PM
    business?? hahaha half of my friends are unemployed but like we use the group chat function and everything else....i dunno i might just go with the S2 cuz of the BOGO offer
    10-29-09 12:35 PM
    if BBM was on a Droid.. i'd probably go with the droid...it's supposed to be built over linux...which = speed and stability....and efficient use of all hardware.
    10-29-09 12:45 PM
    hahaha unfortunately Blackberries are so ******* secure that i dont think an app will ever be made that allowed you to access that feature from another phone
    10-29-09 01:54 PM
    If I'm really in it for lots of apps and gaming and other computing needs I'm going to go with a laptop or netbook (the new gen netbooks are looking sweet). There's a serious limit to what I'm looking to do on a 4 inch screen. Of course, I'm old, damn near blind (screw you 6pt font!!!!), and lack the adventurous spirit to push the hardware to it's limits.

Rather I'd prefer to use the right tool for the right job. Simple tasks, calendaring, mp3 player, movie player, *PHONE CALLS*, gps/mapping (though I hate the small font... DAMM YOU 6PT FONT), are all great on my Storm2 and were great on my Tour. Past that I'm getting a bigger gun, like a netbook or notebook.

I do, however, raise a pint in toast to all you who look to do everything on your phone. It's just old tired dudes like me need bigger screens for bigger jobs.

Cheers,

Joe
    10-29-09 06:12 PM
    If I'm really in it for lots of apps and gaming and other computing needs I'm going to go with a laptop or netbook (the new gen netbooks are looking sweet). There's a serious limit to what I'm looking to do on a 4 inch screen. Of course, I'm old, damn near blind (screw you 6pt font!!!!), and lack the adventurous spirit to push the hardware to it's limits.

Rather I'd prefer to use the right tool for the right job. Simple tasks, calendaring, mp3 player, movie player, *PHONE CALLS*, gps/mapping (though I hate the small font... DAMM YOU 6PT FONT), are all great on my Storm2 and were great on my Tour. Past that I'm getting a bigger gun, like a netbook or notebook.

I do, however, raise a pint in toast to all you who look to do everything on your phone. It's just old tired dudes like me need bigger screens for bigger jobs.

Cheers,

Joe
    Bigger screen for bigger jobs - Dell Streak
    10-29-09 06:21 PM
    Whoa, that thing looks really cool! Nice find OAL. I'm absolutely going to keep my eye on that one. Mmmmm new gadgets. Nom nom nom.

Though honestly, for me, ideally I'd be happy caring around a more bulky notebook sized or kindle sized, iTable sized (whatever) object that could pair with a blue tooth headset and serve as my phone.

Kinda like a large print smart phone for us old ppl. LOL

Boy does that Streak look nice though. 5 inch screen for the win! I sure hope upping the ante will encourage other manufacturers. I'll put up with less convenience on the size of the form factor for more utility.
    10-29-09 06:31 PM
    I've been looking very seriously at that phone too and I'm really torn between the two.
    I had a Storm 1 briefly so the Storm 2 would be like slipping into a well worn pair of boots.
    If you like Blackberry's OS you might not be so impressed with the Android OS. I played with my sisters My Touch for a few minutes and I'm not that crazy about it. I didn't hate it but there were strange differences. There's no way natively to close apps when you're done with them. You have to download an app (free) if you wenat any kind of task manager.
    On the other hand that 4" screen is very cool -not that the Storm's screen sucks though.
    I would really would recommend going to a T-Mobile store and playing with a My Touch to see if you can stand using the OS or not.
    10-29-09 06:53 PM
    Flip a coin!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 06:59 PM
    So far I'm liking the droid way more than my bb. Super easy and fun to use. Lots of customization. Email and bbm is what blackberry wins on. Otherwise droid wins hands down for me.
    10-29-09 10:44 PM
    Wait for Android to decide. Do not buy the S2 then exchange to the Android. Too many trips to the store, possible restock fee, possible contact sync issue...

Just get the one you want the first time. The Droid is amazing but Blackberry is still King when it comes to a productivity device. (Sorry iPhone fanboys...your $200 fart button might be cool, but that's where it ends)

I have been hands on with the Droid and it's freakishly fast (in my area). If you're in it for Apps, the Android Marketplace has about 10K apps and this number will skyrocket with Google going to Big Red.

The only question is will you be upset if you pay the price again (from your S1) for being an early adopter?
    Worst post I've ever read - BB/RIM can't touch the Iphone and Apple in any capacity ....
    10-29-09 10:47 PM
    I honestly think the BB social networking is fine unless you are completely glued to your broski's tweets refreshing every 5 min. I tried iPhone and hated lack of multitasking and terrible as a phone (which ya know it is supposed to be able to call people) plus the app store is way over hyped, 99% trash apps. Android was cool, I used an HTC Hero on Sprint for a month and had so many system crashes it wasn't even funny, little to no 3rd party apps installed either. I think Android was ahead of the hardware it was on at that point in time but Droid may be able to pull it off without being a lagfest. We will see but I am really not feeling a Vanilla Android device (2.0 is still vanilla without a skin and eventually all Android devices will probably have it) no matter how fast it can open apps.
    10-29-09 10:59 PM
    you should put the the S2 and the droid in a cage match and which ever one wins thats who you take home!!!! lol, i mean it's hard to compare the two the blackberry is in a league of it's own. Me personally, i think the droid is just a iphone all steroid up. i mean 10k apps wow, wasn't that the big craze for apple "hey, we got an app for that". i think imma have to roll with the S2 this time, i think RIM gonna get it together within the next year or so. if it hooks up with Torch BB should be good to go. i think the main down fall to the blackberry is the web browser. once that get up to speed RIM will be back on top, all great players have a slump from time to time remember that. besides i feel that i can work the S2 with ease as i did my BB 8350 (great phone, bad service) because of the same OS. actually i enjoyed my curve 8350 over my girlfriend's iphone 3G's, just reminded me of a gameboy that makes calls. Besides everyone know the new blackberry slogan, "Once you go BLACK you will never go back!!!"
    10-29-09 11:29 PM
    Worst post I've ever read - BB/RIM can't touch the Iphone and Apple in any capacity ....
    Bad troll!!! Get back under your bridge!
    10-30-09 11:18 AM
    I honestly think the BB social networking is fine unless you are completely glued to your broski's tweets refreshing every 5 min. I tried iPhone and hated lack of multitasking and terrible as a phone (which ya know it is supposed to be able to call people) plus the app store is way over hyped, 99% trash apps. Android was cool, I used an HTC Hero on Sprint for a month and had so many system crashes it wasn't even funny, little to no 3rd party apps installed either. I think Android was ahead of the hardware it was on at that point in time but Droid may be able to pull it off without being a lagfest. We will see but I am really not feeling a Vanilla Android device (2.0 is still vanilla without a skin and eventually all Android devices will probably have it) no matter how fast it can open apps.
    This is so true, Nageki. I have a family member with an iTouch that is very fun to play with, but even on a non-phone version of the iPhone the lack of ability to run more than one app is *incredibly* limiting. I can't imagine having that thing is a phone.

You're also right on with the App store. Sure there's a lot of trash, but that just means a greater stink. Not to say I haven't found a few gems in there, but man do you have to dig and dig and dig.

I love that the droid is coming out, it will put pressure on both RIM and Apple to step it up. Android looks really cool, and honestly, where we win, is when these companies are investing in improving and making things more impressive, solid, usable, etc.

After reading this thread I researched Android 2.0 a bit more last night. It sounds like it's going to be the Saturday Night Live of OS'es... Not yet ready for prime time, but at times it will shine!!! I bet in 1-2 years it's going to be very very hard for people like me to choose a smart phone, between the iPhone, BB, and Adroid 2/3/4 whatever it's on.

As an FYI, one article on Android 2.0 mentioned that it had the same challenges as Java. Sure it's on all the phones, but each phone functions as it's own platform and so coding for a large number of platforms becomes tedious and burdensome to developers.

Is this true still for 2.0? Or will all the phones use a standard API kit that allows a developer to put forth one app that runs on *most* platforms (phones)?

Waiting till my next upgrade cycle will let the people pump out some really great apps, see how the dust settles, and let me really suck in some hype. I can't wait to see who's got the winning bid for my $$$ next round.
    10-30-09 11:25 AM
    I've been with blackberry since the 8703e. Loved it. Moved up to an 8830WE, then onto the Storm 1, now the Tour. The Droid fascinates me. It's the only device that tempts me away from the BB platform. But I won't make the same mistake thrice by getting a brand new device as soon as it's out of gate. I did that with the Storm 1 and the Tour (trackball issues - now on my 2nd Tour and love it).
    10-30-09 11:37 AM
    No push mail via IMAP Idle currently available on the Android platform is a deal breaker for me. Push mail is only available via Google's app, ActiveSync (in Android 2.0) and MS Exchange. That's a deal breaker for me.

For me, BB is still the best for e-mail.
    10-30-09 11:46 AM
    Does the Motorola Android 2.0 phone that is launching soon have a 3d graphics chip? That could be fun for gaming.
    10-30-09 12:11 PM
    Its a good question...one that many of us will be deciding. I actually like the Storm and continue to believe that for the last year it was the best phone Verizon offered. Here are my pro's and con's for the two devices:

Price - $179 for S2 vs. $199 for Droid. I also heard that the droid contract is going to cost more than the BB contract (like $149 a mo or something).

Screen - Droid wins hands down. Higher resolution and larger screen

Physical Appearance - I actually really like the sleekness of the Storms. They feel really nice in my pocket; I like the weight. The droid is pretty ugly.

Typing - I actually really like typing on the S2--its pretty easy and cool. I can type almost as fast as I did with a physical keyboard. The Droid has a physical keyboard, but I dont like it--it doesnt feel as natural the blackberry keyboards.

Apps - I finally feel like I have all the apps that I really want for the Storm; will the droid have what I need? Pandora, Slacker, Maps, etc? I think it might, but want confirmation

Camera - 5mp vs. 3.2 mp.

All in all, I think the droid is a better phone but possibly at a steeper price. Look there are going to be about 10 supposedly iPhone killers coming out in the next year. I wouldn't pick up the droid thinking it will be the next best thing. In fact the Verizon model iPhones will probably be an improved model and may have some of the features the current iPhone lacks.

I give Apple a lot of credit; here we are 3 years after iPhones launch and still no phone has been able to compete. They undoubtedly have more tricks up their sleeves. Lets hope Verizon gets some love.
    10-30-09 12:31 PM
    I've been looking very seriously at that phone too and I'm really torn between the two.
    I had a Storm 1 briefly so the Storm 2 would be like slipping into a well worn pair of boots.
    If you like Blackberry's OS you might not be so impressed with the Android OS. I played with my sisters My Touch for a few minutes and I'm not that crazy about it. I didn't hate it but there were strange differences. There's no way natively to close apps when you're done with them. You have to download an app (free) if you wenat any kind of task manager.
    On the other hand that 4" screen is very cool -not that the Storm's screen sucks though.
    I would really would recommend going to a T-Mobile store and playing with a My Touch to see if you can stand using the OS or not.
    Does the My Touch run Android 2.0? If not, I'd be hesitant to lump the two OS's together.
    10-31-09 10:29 AM
    You're on cra*k fanboy, I have both phones, and I use my S2 way more then my iPhone in every capacity

Oh and I keep an iPhone because I have the funds like that, so what the heck!
    10-31-09 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD