repost

i had to call tech. support cause my desktop wont work, so i asked if he had any info on the storm 2 for telus. he said they are getting a HSPA version and that thats why its taking so long to get it and it will be out by christmas. now i dont give two ***** who believes me cause i have no reason to lie but thats what i was told and it makes perfect sence.

ps: pasted this here cause i had it posted in the storm 2 forum lol
    10-29-09 11:20 AM
    Yeah telus is getting it. I hope its true too. Its already stated in the same topic but different thread

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 11:40 AM
    Yeah telus is getting it. I hope its true too. Its already stated in the same topic but different thread

yes i know lol im the one that put it in the other thread just read my post again it says that lol
    10-29-09 11:46 AM
    Oh then why did u make a new thread for it?

10-29-09 01:20 PM
    well i had it in the storm2 thread but afer i did that i figured the best place for it would be in the telus thread hahahaha
    10-29-09 01:30 PM
    Take it with a grain of salt. I think tech support might be more informed than the CSRs, but...

10-29-09 02:16 PM
    Oh then why did u make a new thread for it?

because he can.

10-29-09 02:48 PM
    Two questions: 1) is this HSPA phone the 9520? and 2) compared to Roger's 3G network is HSPA better or faster?
    10-29-09 09:11 PM
    Two questions: 1) is this HSPA phone the 9520? and 2) compared to Roger's 3G network is HSPA better or faster?
    1. the 9520 is the european model which supposedly will not work over here. telus is supposedly getting a version of the 9550 that will work on the north american hspa network which could be why we're not hearing much.

2. it's supposedly (hopefully) faster but i guess we have to wait and see. it should be much better then their current network though.
    10-30-09 12:37 AM
    2. HSPA is the latest technology commercially available from the GSM industry. It has several varieties, with peak theoretical download speeds of 3.6mbs hspa, 7.2mbs hsdpa, 14.1mbs hsupa and 21mbs hspa+.
    Telus and Bell are launching their network as HSPA+ right from the start.
    Rogers network is HSPA, but they are upgrading their network to hspa+ as well. They might have ALL of their network upgraded in 10 years (joke).

HSPA+ 21mbs is only available to mobile broadband right now (laptops).
    There are no commercially available phones in the world that can do HSPA+ yet.

As for national coverage, the new network will have the same footprint/coverage area as the existing CDMA network, which is superior to Rogers national coverage.
    Bell and Telus (Belus) have an agreement where they share each others towers across the country, which is why their cdma network covers 98% of the population. At launch, the hspa network will cover 93% of the population. When Manitoba and Saskatchewan are upgraded, they should be at 98% with hspa as well.
    As with any carrier though, locally you may find dead spots.

Who has the better network? Belus.

10-30-09 05:10 AM
    2. HSPA is the latest technology commercially available from the GSM industry. It has several varieties, with peak theoretical download speeds of 3.6mbs hspa, 7.2mbs hsdpa, 14.1mbs hsupa and 21mbs hspa+.
    Telus and Bell are launching their network as HSPA+ right from the start.
    Rogers network is HSPA, but they are upgrading their network to hspa+ as well. They might have ALL of their network upgraded in 10 years (joke).

HSPA+ 21mbs is only available to mobile broadband right now (laptops).
    There are no commercially available phones in the world that can do HSPA+ yet.

As for national coverage, the new network will have the same footprint/coverage area as the existing CDMA network, which is superior to Rogers national coverage.
    Bell and Telus (Belus) have an agreement where they share each others towers across the country, which is why their cdma network covers 98% of the population. At launch, the hspa network will cover 93% of the population. When Manitoba and Saskatchewan are upgraded, they should be at 98% with hspa as well.
    As with any carrier though, locally you may find dead spots.

Who has the better network? Belus.

"Belus" i like that lol good job on the new name!
    10-30-09 07:17 AM
    "Belus" i like that lol good job on the new name!
    I can't take credit for that. It's been around for awhile, probably since they signed the tower sharing agreement, or from when Telus was thinking of buying Bell a few years ago.

10-30-09 08:26 AM
    Thanks for the lessons everyone!

So assuming I can get the same phone on both networks (S2) is it worth it for me to move from Rogers to Telus?

My contract with Rogers has expired and I'm trying to decide if I should wait and see if Rogers gets the Storm2 or jump over to Telus if they release it first.
    10-30-09 08:40 AM
    Thanks for the lessons everyone!

So assuming I can get the same phone on both networks (S2) is it worth it for me to move from Rogers to Telus?

My contract with Rogers has expired and I'm trying to decide if I should wait and see if Rogers gets the Storm2 or jump over to Telus if they release it first.
    not sure if rogers is getting the new storm but come on over to telus were much nice and easyer to get along with lol and just plain better.

PS: rogers sucks hahahaha
    10-30-09 09:53 AM
    not sure if rogers is getting the new storm but come on over to telus were much nice and easyer to get along with lol and just plain better.

PS: rogers sucks hahahaha
    LOL...not biased are you!!

To be honest, I never really had any problems with Rogers but I will switch to Telus if necessary. I have heard many good things about Telus and both my brother and daughter are with them (my daughter having swithced recently).

My main concern on switching is keeping my current number. This is important to me because many co-workers in the US in addition to friends and family have my current number and I would hate to have to contact everyone to advise them of the change.

How seamless is porting a number over to Telus? Will I have any issues with Rogers? Never done this before.

thanks
    10-30-09 10:11 AM
    ^^ should be relatively simple due to WNP. Just ensure your rogers account remains active during the transition to the newly created telus account and you should be fine.
    10-30-09 10:45 AM

yeah yeah i know it was a joke but most sites are already upgraded to 21mbs, the main issue right now is finishing to convert all the sites to IP, because if the site is not over IP, its running 8 T1s over ATM (1.5mbs each) instead of a gigabit cat6 cable.

Keep in mind, Rogers 3G has been up for 3 years, 3.5 - 7.2 and now 21mbs, im actually happy Bellus got their **** together, because Rogers was supposed to upgrade to 14.4 but this new network made them jump to 21 faster.
    10-30-09 11:04 AM
    yeah yeah i know it was a joke but most sites are already upgraded to 21mbs, the main issue right now is finishing to convert all the sites to IP, because if the site is not over IP, its running 8 T1s over ATM (1.5mbs each) instead of a gigabit cat6 cable.

Keep in mind, Rogers 3G has been up for 3 years, 3.5 - 7.2 and now 21mbs, im actually happy Bellus got their **** together, because Rogers was supposed to upgrade to 14.4 but this new network made them jump to 21 faster.
    Competition is good for the consumer.
    Even the 'Competition Lite' that we enjoy in Canadian wireless.

10-30-09 11:20 AM

To be honest, I never really had any problems with Rogers but I will switch to Telus if necessary. I have heard many good things about Telus and both my brother and daughter are with them (my daughter having swithced recently).

My main concern on switching is keeping my current number. This is important to me because many co-workers in the US in addition to friends and family have my current number and I would hate to have to contact everyone to advise them of the change.

How seamless is porting a number over to Telus? Will I have any issues with Rogers? Never done this before.

thanks
    Talk to people who use telus that live and work where you do, ask them about coverage and service.
    Then compare rate plans.

10-30-09 11:22 AM
    yeah switching numbers isn't hard anymore, you technically own the number instead of the carrier owning it
    10-30-09 11:25 AM
    well here in newfoundland rogers is ****! you get maby 5 barrs of signal in the capital city, now in my city(mount pearl) which is next to st.john's you get like 4 bars the town next to us your lucky if rogers cell phone even works lol
    10-30-09 12:21 PM
    Yeah just looked at the map, you only have 5 towers in St-Johns and its surroundings. Rogers is only there for their clients going there on business
    10-30-09 02:39 PM
    ya well thats why they suck, its pretty bad rogers only puts 5 towers her but telus and bell have them all over the island and labrador. its a stupid business move on rogers part there may only be half a million people in the provience but every customer counts. they sould get rid of rogers all together here they have the twin cities covered but they have no service in the 3rd city on the west coast of newfoundland and alot of business people go there to but like i said rogers sucks anyways at least telus and bell thought it was good to have service for the majority of the provience.
    10-30-09 02:56 PM

thanks
    I think you should be ok. You might have to pay a fee to switch over but not 100% sure. I know if you cancel your contract with TELUS early you can't transfer your number.

10-30-09 11:25 PM
    I agree Steve. I got rogers and when I moved across province I went to telus. After having bell before rogers I could not get over the crappy reception and lack of towers. I went to telus instead of bell because of better rate plans and better customer service. The only thing I miss about robbers is that it was easier to talk them into mew phones every year. However I have been with telus about two and I have had a pearl, storm and pearl flip already.

10-31-09 06:54 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD