I traded my Storm for a Tour today---of course the day I get informed of the Storm upgrade!! Is there a way to upgrade my Tour to the 5.0 and what are the benefits of doing it?
    10-29-09 12:33 AM
    It is possible by loading a leaked beta 5.0OS, but if you have never done that you might hold off for the official release which could be any time now.
    10-29-09 12:38 AM
    I'll trade you my Storm for your Tour and you can get 5.0 now...
    10-29-09 12:56 AM
    hmmm........how do I say this nicely???? **** NO!!! Its only been today but I have grown attached already and I can't say that about the past 4 months with my storm. Even this morning when I tried to download 5.0 on my Storm it said "Fatal Error" those are definately not words I wish to see!! Verizon told me it was the phone.......hmmm, I got that one on Saturday. What?? Nope I will let you keep your storm but thanks for the offer anyways
    10-29-09 01:03 AM
    hmmm........how do I say this nicely???? **** NO!!! Its only been today but I have grown attached already and I can't say that about the past 4 months with my storm. Even this morning when I tried to download 5.0 on my Storm it said "Fatal Error" those are definately not words I wish to see!! Verizon told me it was the phone.......hmmm, I got that one on Saturday. What?? Nope I will let you keep your storm but thanks for the offer anyways

Take the trade man!!!! Do it!!!
    10-29-09 08:02 AM
    Just my opinion, but maybe whoever is making the Blackberries and/or the OS's could spend a little more time on upgrading the OS's instead of coming out with a new Blackberry every month. I've had the Tour for about two months now and as soon as it came out it was already rumored there would be a 5.0 OS soon to follow. Since then 2 possibly three more phones have dropped.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-09 08:36 AM
    Just my opinion, but maybe whoever is making the Blackberries and/or the OS's could spend a little more time on upgrading the OS's instead of coming out with a new Blackberry every month. I've had the Tour for about two months now and as soon as it came out it was already rumored there would be a 5.0 OS soon to follow. Since then 2 possibly three more phones have dropped.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    100% agreed. the new phones that are dropping are really nothing anyway. like is it necessary to release a new bold and tour and not give us a new OS. even though i love my bb. this is whats going to kill blackberries. they care more about the hardware when now today its more important to have a great OS. and yes they definatly beat out winmo. but android and web os at just infants look very promising
    10-29-09 10:09 AM
    It is possible by loading a leaked beta 5.0OS, but if you have never done that you might hold off for the official release which could be any time now.
    i just got two emails from verizon that the new official 5.0 OS is now ready for me to update. anyone know about this yet? is there a thread open about it?

im running the leaked 5.0 and its been great, but i was wondering if its worth it to run the OFFICIAL one .

opinions? please pM me.
    10-29-09 10:25 AM
    did you ever have a storm? If so that is why you got the email
    10-29-09 10:37 AM
    100% agreed. the new phones that are dropping are really nothing anyway. like is it necessary to release a new bold and tour and not give us a new OS. even though i love my bb. this is whats going to kill blackberries. they care more about the hardware when now today its more important to have a great OS. and yes they definatly beat out winmo. but android and web os at just infants look very promising
    pretty sure ALL berries since the 8300 series will be recieving 5.0 in november sometime. just hold your horses, my friend. 5.0 love is coming.
    10-29-09 01:00 PM
    Economics Lesson for you guys: They make 100% more profit on their hardware than they do on their software. They'll keep dropping new devices so long as there are consumers that will buy them.

Now an Engineering Lesson: The hardware and software folks are completely different teams. Very often there is a Program Manager that will oversee both sides, but for the most part they are autonomous, so the hardware people can simply keep creating new phones that have the specs required to run the current gen (or the current development gen) OS.

Since all BlackBerries use a similar OS (I say similar because of the Touchscreen/Non-Touchscreen differences), they don't need to tie in a single phone with a single OS, so why not blast out 50 phones per one major OS release? It's much more profitable than going one OS per phone.

- Andy
    10-29-09 01:37 PM
    I traded my Storm for a Tour today---of course the day I get informed of the Storm upgrade!!
    That sucks. I have good news, though.

Is there a way to upgrade my Tour to the 5.0
    Yes. Install a leaked copy of OS 5. Use your Google skillz.

and what are the benefits of doing it?
    - threaded SMS
    - much, much faster & smoother menus, etc
    - revamped media player(s) & picture viewer
    - much faster boot time
    - automatically asks to use a new theme when you download it
    - puts apps in "sandboxes" so that new app you just downloaded won't crash your 'Berry

I liked OS 5 so much, I installed in on my work BB. Illegal? Maybe. But I did it anyway. I like it that much. OS 5 = high recommended
    10-29-09 02:07 PM
    That sucks. I have good news, though.

Yes. Install a leaked copy of OS 5. Use your Google skillz.

- threaded SMS
    - much, much faster & smoother menus, etc
    - revamped media player(s) & picture viewer
    - much faster boot time
    - automatically asks to use a new theme when you download it
    - puts apps in "sandboxes" so that new app you just downloaded won't crash your 'Berry

I liked OS 5 so much, I installed in on my work BB. Illegal? Maybe. But I did it anyway. I like it that much. OS 5 = high recommended
    +1.. I have Verizion and HAD 4.7.1.140 OS untill last weekend...

I installed the Hybrid copy of 5.0.0.230 and have NO... and I mean NO issues... The BB is Fast... no trackball issues... no Bluetooth issues with my Ford Sync.. menu's are screaming fast.. no lockup..etc... IMO, version 5.0.0.230 is your friend...! again, just IMO....
    10-29-09 05:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD