Just to inform those with the freezing issue while typing of anykind on OS 5.0, your problem is most likely hardware related not OS related. I have two Storms one that works perfectly on OS 5.0 and one that always froze on OS 5.0 of any release, only works properly if I roll back to a 4.7 release.

I wiped and reinstalled more time than I care to remember and tried all configurations in between with apps, without apps..always froze on 5.0.

So after calling Verizon tech support a new phone was issued FedEx to me, will be here today. I totally expect no issues, we'll see.

My advice call Verizon tell tech your issue, fell free to tell them you've used leaked OS prior to their release ( I did no hassles) to reinforce that you've had this problem for a prolonged period of time. They will make you do a wipe/install under their documenting of the phone call, your phone will freeze, you will call back they will then send you a new one. I was surprised that it was pretty hassle free and easy considering how Verizon can be.

Hey if a enough people present this issue, who knows maybe the S1 for a S2 upgrade promotion might come of it. Although with a proper functioning 5.0 OS I think i'm keeping my S1 for a while.

Hope this helps some of you guys out and save you a bunch of time.

peace!
    10-28-09 09:53 AM
    Really eh.... well this sucks then. Not sure how this is going to work for me as I bought mine off of ebay and it's a unlocked Verizon device. Any suggesyions or recommendations or am I SOL???
    10-28-09 10:13 AM
    just got a replacement sent to me a week ago...now I have to do it again? mann... this makes me a sadddd panda....
    10-28-09 10:42 AM
    Just verified that I still have freezing issues...I am seriously at ropes end with this phone...I am not mad...just seriously upset about it
    10-28-09 10:53 AM
    I can't say why this is happening to people but it must be something hardware related. I have two Storms and one has this issue and OS's were loaded the exact same way from the exact same source. It has to be the phone but maybe someone can figure out the direct source of the problem.
    10-28-09 10:58 AM
    Glad I got lucky - purchased 2 Storms back in January, both of them have worked without any hardware issues.
    10-28-09 10:59 AM
    FWIW, if you go to your local Verizon store they can get you a new one right then and there. I even brought them an assurion-issued device and they were able to swap it out for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 11:15 AM
    Really eh.... well this sucks then. Not sure how this is going to work for me as I bought mine off of ebay and it's a unlocked Verizon device. Any suggesyions or recommendations or am I SOL???

I received mine from a friend last spring (since he jumped ship). I had a different issue after having the phone for approximately 5 weeks. I searched Crackberry for answers (blank screen = hardware problem). Called Cust. Service, told them what I learned on Crackberry. They told me they could order one for me or I could go into a local store. Went to my local store where I told them about searching Crackberry and talking to Cust Service. CS rep replaced it no questions asked.

So you may not be SOL after all. Give it a try
    10-28-09 11:35 AM
    I have often wondered if the problems some people are having and the vast majority aren't is because of the different "revisions" of the Storm itself. There are minor hardware differences in them that can make BIG differences in how software reacts. It is akin to the problem of finding drivers for various PC components to work with a new OS.
    10-28-09 11:43 AM
    i have a newer revision of the s1 hardware...screen is way better...and i am one ofthose having freezing problems...
    10-28-09 12:05 PM
    FWIW, if you go to your local Verizon store they can get you a new one right then and there. I even brought them an assurion-issued device and they were able to swap it out for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    did you have to wait for it to freeze up in front of them? mine freezes so randomly that with my luck it wouldn't happen until right after i left...
    10-28-09 12:20 PM
    I can get mine to freeze on command by using the stop watch
    10-28-09 01:02 PM
    I am going to the Verizon store and see if i can switch out
    10-28-09 01:22 PM
    ok i am trying my hardest to make it freeze right now and its not doing it. I wonder if its been fixed. This is really strange..
    10-28-09 01:41 PM
    seriously...stopwatch...leave it running but leave it open don't send it to background
    10-28-09 01:44 PM
    The had me pull the battery for 5 minutes. then i went to options. Securitry options. Then security wipe. Did the wipe. Loaded my contacts back. Did 2 five minute pulls. It was a little choppy at first and has since smoothed out. now i am having 5 conversations at once. Can't get it to freeze. I wanted to get a new one lol.
    10-28-09 01:45 PM
    what really really sucks is that I am in the middle of some serious work and I have ZERO free time to do this bs at a verizon store...
    10-28-09 01:48 PM
    seriously...stopwatch...leave it running but leave it open don't send it to background
    for how long? i mean i had this thing freezing like crazy. Especially texting. Now its not freezing now matter how hard i try. I have it going now and its been going 3 minutes no problems...
    10-28-09 01:49 PM
    has anyone had any problems with the phone freezing when the backlight goes off? When i lock my phone and the backligh goes away, no matter what i do I can't get the backlight to turn back on....

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    10-28-09 01:50 PM
    So far (knock on wood) the only times mine has frozen was when I was using Opera Mini beta. For some reason the whole phone will freeze sometimes either right when I exit Opera or at some point if I have Opera running in the background. Those are the only times it has frozen so far, so I think at least in my case that Opera is the evil cause. It was the same way on .230 and .323 and through several re-installs of Opera Mini. I wonder how many others with freezing problems might actually be due to an application that is installed? As far as hardware goes, if anyone is trying to keep track, my Storm is a release day unit built November 17, 2008.
    10-28-09 01:51 PM
    has anyone had any problems with the phone freezing when the backlight goes off? When i lock my phone and the backligh goes away, no matter what i do I can't get the backlight to turn back on....

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    That happened to me once, but again, it was right after a freeze-up while using Opera Mini.
    10-28-09 01:52 PM
    I have had stopwatch freeze phone at...

0 min 11 sec

0 min 34 sec

3 min 12 sec

14 min 8 sec

i have had it freeze while texting as well...and just while reg. clock was on...after about 5 hours (happened in middle of night)
    10-28-09 01:56 PM
    it's been happening to me consistently since i upgraded to 5.0 an hour ago. I have to do a battery pull to even use the phone.

I deleted my theme thinking that may be the issue...but apparently it's not....ah i hate this
    10-28-09 01:56 PM
    Ive been running OS 5.0 since it first leaked, and I did notice my Storm will randomly freeze for sometimes up to 30 seconds (rarely more than about 15 seconds). Ive never thought much of it, since Ive been putting up with a slow, unresponsive phone since December. I thought of 5.0 as a huge improvement, but still gets those random "OS 4.7 Moments", but now I find out its a hardware issue.

This is my second Storm, got a replacement shortly after I got the phone back in December for click issues. I seriously cannot wait for my upgrade to come up so I can dump the Storm. I guess by then we will know if there are problems with the Storm2. I really do like the concept of the Storm, with the click/pressure sensitive touchscreen, and would love to get a Storm2 if it doesnt have all the problems, but RIM screwed up bigtime with the Storm. Im not sure if it was just rushed to much, RIM's lack of experience in the touchscreen market, or what but it seems like most people with the Storm have had some kind of major problem at some point.

Done with my rant.
    10-28-09 01:58 PM
    Guys i would try what they had me do. Its not freezing at all anymore.
    10-28-09 02:00 PM
97 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD