So I just got really excited because I received an email from RIM saying that 5.0 is available for the Tour now.

Here's the email text:

"What else can your BlackBerry� smartphone do for you?

Find out when you update to the latest smartphone software! This free update is ready and waiting to help you do more with your BlackBerry smartphone. Update today.

New ways to work and play!

An update of BlackBerry� Device Software version 5.0 is available. This update includes optimizations and enhancements approved by your wireless service provider. Note: If your device is associated with an email account that uses a BlackBerry� Enterprise Server, contact your administrator for more information about updating..
    Get the most advanced BlackBerry Device Software to keep your BlackBerry smartphone performing at its best. Update Now.

Recently changed your BlackBerry smartphone? If you are viewing this message from your BlackBerry browser, you can automatically update your device information when you visit here.

Research In Motion"
    I tried to go to blackberry.com/update and because I have a Mac it tells me to use the Desktop Manager for Mac. I did that and it's telling me that no software is available for updating. The Verizon Wireless site also still has the latest software update as a 4.7 version.

Where is 5.0 and why are they teasing me?

10-28-09 12:48 AM
    Same here got the notification but no 5.0. Its the reason I actually came to the forums to see if there was any news about it on here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 12:55 AM
    Gah I hope they are releasing it today!!!!

10-28-09 01:04 AM
    I think all former Storm owners got these. Its not for us.

10-28-09 02:19 AM
    Ok I am really upset. I was looking forward to the new 5.0..... What a total tease. Not nice at all.
    10-28-09 02:45 AM
    Damn! I was all EXCITED!! Oh well beta OS is running great
    10-28-09 03:03 AM
    I got that email and I just successfully installed 5.0. It was a little wiggy to get it done. I clicked on the email too and it really didn't do anything. I plugged in my storm to my computer,opened up the Desktop Manager and I too got "no new updates" when I clicked on check for updates. But somehow it started to load the software updater and installed the new OS. I would play around with it and it should work..but the usual "check for updates" found nothing..don't know why!

I stil don't know what is improved yet..only been a few minutes. I actually came here to see if there was any buzz about it.
    10-28-09 03:18 AM
    @Maygoddess:
    Exactly which OS are saying was installed? ie the specific OS version 5.0.X.X
    (What numbers are those X's?)

10-28-09 03:35 AM
    @Maygoddess:
    Exactly which OS are saying was installed? ie the specific OS version 5.0.X.X
    (What numbers are those X's?)
    he has a storm. look at his info and read the post carefully the reason the OP received that email is because he was a previous storm owner. this is happening to all the tour owners who had a storm previously.
    Last edited by CBfan17; 10-28-09 at 04:22 AM.
    10-28-09 04:17 AM
    Haha me too. I came to this thread to see if there was any new info. I followed all the links that took me to Verizon's page and to download a file for the said "update" and this was the file it had me download

9630AMEA_PBr4_1_.7.1_rel77_PL4.1.0.40_A4.7.1.40.ex e

Thats not 5.0

Oh and I too am a previous Storm owner. So I guess that answers it.
    10-28-09 04:34 AM
    that is really not cool to jeark us around like that. boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10-28-09 05:41 AM
    I just got the same email. My brain said 'yesss!' as my heart went flitter flutter. Came straight to CB to see what everyone else was saying about it and see it's because I had a storm. Bummer...
    10-28-09 05:44 AM
    Yesterday I plugged my Tour up to DM (5.0.1) and it informed me that the OS 5.0.0 was available to update my device. So I gave it a shot and let it do it's thing. After all was said and done ... no dice. I am still running my leaked .230 OS. My guess is that RIM is gearing up for the OS 5 roll out via DM. It's kinda the same way they started sending those notifications regarding BBM5 .... RIM is getting really good at this jerking you around thing.
    10-28-09 06:55 AM
    Yesterday I plugged my Tour up to DM (5.0.1) and it informed me that the OS 5.0.0 was available to update my device. So I gave it a shot and let it do it's thing. After all was said and done ... no dice. I am still running my leaked .230 OS. My guess is that RIM is gearing up for the OS 5 roll out via DM. It's kinda the same way they started sending those notifications regarding BBM5 .... RIM is getting really good at this jerking you around thing.
    If you have .230 installed on your comp and used like shrink a os or something DM has a tendency to do that.

10-28-09 07:19 AM
    I got the update notification too and mine has been installed with no problem I think.
    10-28-09 08:01 AM
    AHHHHH That would explain why I received 5 emails regarding 5.0 update? I went through 5 Storms before I left for the Tour.......D*** RIM guys and gals are just jerking our chains and laughing......But I'd probably do it too if I were them
    10-28-09 08:35 AM
    I got the update notification too and mine has been installed with no problem I think.
    awesome dood share the link with us man. your my crackberry hero!
    10-28-09 08:46 AM
    Former Storm owner, I got the email and just downloaded the "5.0" version the email mentioned... It is not 5.0, it actually is 4.7.1.40... very disappointing.
    10-28-09 09:18 AM
    Go to Options/About and see what version you're running. If you are indeed running a new version of 5.0, pics of you're "About" screen should be posted....no pics, no credibility.
    10-28-09 09:26 AM
    Are you refering to the "Blackberry, Java, Nuance" pic? If not, what?
    10-28-09 09:37 AM
    i got the message about 5 times and i been running the official since sunday night
    10-28-09 10:00 AM
    i got the message about 5 times and i been running the official since sunday night
    This is a tour subforum. Thanks for letting us know, but we're trying to see if anyone has actually installed an official 5.0 for a tour. I only assume you're using a storm because that's what it says in your profile.

Has everyone who has received the email with a tour ever owned a storm? I have and was wondering if that's where the emails are being generated from. I wonder if people who have never owned a storm are getting this notification also.
    10-28-09 10:07 AM
    I got an official notification from RIM about the update. It loaded fine except I have a message envelope with no open messages. I can't make it go away.

I really like the threaded emails but best it all it now auto updates the time zones, it's about damn time!!!
    10-28-09 10:24 AM
    Before this continues too far....

The ONLY people who got this email, myself included, are former Storm owners.

Nothing for the Tour has been announced......yet
    10-28-09 10:29 AM
    Before this continues too far....

The ONLY people who got this email, myself included, are former Storm owners.

Nothing for the Tour has been announced......yet
    that's pretty stupid, if you ask me
    10-28-09 11:40 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD