I wasnt sure where to put this post but there's a ton of us firefighters out there that have blackberries and would kill for an app to give us things such as friction loss and pump operation pressures and a bunch more useful tools. Still there isnt one I can find anywhere, there is one site call pocketmobility that makes a firefighter app for iphone and palm only and they said have no intent on any blackberry apps. WE NEED OUR OWN APP!
    10-27-09 08:12 PM
    Uhm you mean you want blackberry to end up like Iphone? whole bunch of fart apps? Not saying your job is a fart I am just saying that why need so many apps for a phone? originally it was for talking and texting, fine with that, then GPS and web browser and IM that's alright too... taking it a little far with these VERY pointless apps... fart app, book store app, investment app, and many other oh so pointless items that you could do in a computer cafe or on your laptop at home! You can order books online via web browser x|

Sure let's have this I am 99% for it... but I honestly do not want a whole bunch of fart and ocarina apps for the blackberry...

Ugh, pointless rant... my bad I do that A LOT
    10-27-09 08:25 PM
    Really Smokeyxz.... I think you need your BB revoked.
    10-27-09 08:27 PM
    OP, I'm down for the firefighter app because it would be a USEFUL tool to so many people who service the places we live. I'll protest that site with you, if you want!
    10-27-09 08:28 PM
    Yea i think you missed the whole point here, this would be a very useful tool. Maybe you dont like that its to the point that we rely on our phones so much but if we are gonna make use of it why not use it for things that can help save lives. Why exactly did you waste your time posting in the first place??
    10-27-09 08:30 PM
    thanks Ami, i appreciate the support!
    10-27-09 08:31 PM
    Meh sue me really, what type of man goes out and decides I want to buy a book and have it delivered to my house right in the middle of a subway? Blackberry does some cool stuff but the real goal is to provide communication... You guys have missed the entire point of a phone... basics:
    Text
    Phone
    Web
    IM

Stuff like that I can understand but really? APPS? I mean these things are probably bought then removed before you even use it... I have not seen one person rely on their blackberry for everything. You honestly think I would need to invest my money on the spot? Would my boss really demand that a document be sent while I am out of town with the family? Would I need to blame a fake fart on someone else? You are not getting the point of my rant, this app ISN'T useless, but it LEADS to it. So eventually it will lead to stupid apps

My blackberry sits in my pocket 80% of the time, why would I bother spending 2 dollars to get an app that I might use only ONCE in my life?
    YOU should have no right to even buy a phone if you buy it just for these useless perks!
    10-27-09 08:38 PM
    WHY do you even have a blackberry then, obviously i am wanting an app like this because I WILL use it quite often, and no I guess I am missing the point of why your so concerned with what everyone else does with their phone, I believe its their right.
    10-27-09 08:44 PM
    I know it is their right but it's outrageous how this changes the way how people think of a device! The iphone is now considered a gaming system, while it lacks games. PHONES ARE PHONES the rest is just small things to make you continue buying their products.
    10-27-09 08:46 PM
    i disagree with smokey the whole ENTIRE point of BLACKBERRYS AND IPHONES are the apps, people are busy and have jobs and school being able to do SO MUCH from our phones is why we buy them. you wrong in general the blackberry was created as a business phone not a trend phone or a phone for texting it became that with the curve and so forth and so many celebes using them. if you DONT want
    "FART" apps as you call them simple DONT download them
    but the one brought up here could be a useful tool

but again if you rant make it at least correct info not the blackberry was invented for texting and calling when it was not intended for that but for business people was a phone and a palm polite in one like deal.
    10-27-09 08:47 PM
    i disagree with smokey the whole ENTIRE point of BLACKBERRYS AND IPHONES are the apps, people are busy and have jobs and school being able to do SO MUCH from our phones is why we buy them. you wrong in general the blackberry was created as a business phone not a trend phone or a phone for texting it became that with the curve and so forth and so many celebes using them. if you DONT want
    "FART" apps as you call them simple DONT download them
    but the one brought up here could be a useful tool

but again if you rant make it at least correct info not the blackberry was invented for texting and calling when it was not intended for that but for business people was a phone and a palm polite in one like deal.
    No I disagree with you xD, you do not need a data package to buy apps... people get blackberries for their keyboard and for their easier internet access... not for the apps. People buy blackberries usually with the date package for the internet and IM and GPS. So they do not NEED to buy data pack for the pointless "fart" apps( I refer to them as that because there are around 2 fart apps that I have seen that are pointless)

you miss the point completely. Celebs use em? that is your case? Celebs like Miley Cyrus? who WAS on twitter for hours upon hours? Yeah nice way to defend your reasoning. This app IS useful... but what I am trying to say is if people moan and complain about some app they will complain about another one, only this time it will be pointless :\
    10-27-09 09:07 PM
    No I disagree with you xD, you do not need a data package to buy apps... people get blackberries for their keyboard and for their easier internet access... not for the apps. People buy blackberries usually with the date package for the internet and IM and GPS. So they do not NEED to buy data pack for the pointless "fart" apps( I refer to them as that because there are around 2 fart apps that I have seen that are pointless)

you miss the point completely. Celebs use em? that is your case? Celebs like Miley Cyrus? who WAS on twitter for hours upon hours? Yeah nice way to defend your reasoning. This app IS useful... but what I am trying to say is if people moan and complain about some app they will complain about another one, only this time it will be pointless :\
    People buy Blackberries for MULTITASKING! Sounds like you Should have bought a nice LG Touch. Or Maybe a Dare. People buy those for im, sms, and oh yeah a phone!
    Last edited by johne5088; 10-27-09 at 09:35 PM. Reason: add
    10-27-09 09:32 PM

you need to learn to read and comprehend what i said was
    BLACKBERRIES WERE MAINLY BUSINESS PHONES NOT BECAUSE THE KEYBOARD WAS COOL. WHEN CELEBS BEGAN USING THEM THEY BECAME A TREND FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU "THINK THE KEYBOARD IS COOL"

BLACKBERRIES ARE MADE for the idea you can use it for everything. you sound like your 12 and get a sidekick if you have issues with apps, just dont download them.

you make no sense at all. Apps are apps you dont need data plans to download all of them, and not everyone who has a berry has data plans. but once again learn to read because you have no comprehension of what i said by your response lol
    10-27-09 09:36 PM
    Wow, this thread ran off course real fast.
    Easy answer: if you don't want an app don't download it. Done.
    10-27-09 11:40 PM
    No I think you missed the point smokey, the point of the blackberry is mobility. Its not everyone elses fault that your life is so simple that you only need yours for talking and texting.
    Meh sue me really, what type of man goes out and decides I want to buy a book and have it delivered to my house right in the middle of a subway? Blackberry does some cool stuff but the real goal is to provide communication... You guys have missed the entire point of a phone... basics:
    Text
    Phone
    Web
    IM

Stuff like that I can understand but really? APPS? I mean these things are probably bought then removed before you even use it... I have not seen one person rely on their blackberry for everything. You honestly think I would need to invest my money on the spot? Would my boss really demand that a document be sent while I am out of town with the family? Would I need to blame a fake fart on someone else? You are not getting the point of my rant, this app ISN'T useless, but it LEADS to it. So eventually it will lead to stupid apps

My blackberry sits in my pocket 80% of the time, why would I bother spending 2 dollars to get an app that I might use only ONCE in my life?
    YOU should have no right to even buy a phone if you buy it just for these useless perks!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 11:57 PM
    no sh_t -- if you don't like an app, dont download it. no one forced people to download the fart app for iphone. how pissed off can you get over something this stupid? Especially when the app requested is something so useful. unreal. ure a toolbag Smokexz
    10-28-09 01:36 AM
    If you're relying on a phone app to help you do your job, maybe you need to rethink how well you are trained on the skills you need to know. People have been saving lives as firefighters for centuries before cell phones were around. If you are looking for an easy way out of having to think, then maybe you shouldn't be saving lives until there's an app released that can do that for you. I mean, are you going to pull your phone out of your pocket to check the app before you go reach for the hose to put the fire out, or before you run into a building?

Seriously, society has become so f****** lazy, it's so sad.
    10-28-09 08:52 AM
    You dont **** about saving lives and what it involves, theres nothing lazy about this job, and no it wouldnt be someting to pull out on scene dumbass, i am not even gonna waste anymore time explaining it to you.
    10-28-09 08:55 AM
    I didn't say the job was lazy. I'm well aware of what your duties are, and how stressful the job is. All I am saying is that this particular job isn't something that you should be relying on an app to to the mental work for you. What if the captain or leu quiz you on something that you've been relying on the app to do for you? Are you going to pull the phone out for the answer?

Just saying that I'd rather not have the firefighter hesitate to come save me if he has to first check his app...
    10-28-09 09:13 AM
    theres no hesitation to it, its simply a study guide, vs having to carry around a book in your back pocket when you have your phone, to study, to memorize these things, for incidents and such, thats how we become better at our job.
    10-28-09 09:16 AM
    I wasnt sure where to put this post but there's a ton of us firefighters out there that have blackberries and would kill for an app to give us things such as friction loss and pump operation pressures and a bunch more useful tools. Still there isnt one I can find anywhere, there is one site call pocketmobility that makes a firefighter app for iphone and palm only and they said have no intent on any blackberry apps. WE NEED OUR OWN APP!
    I have a friend who's a firefighter and always on his BlackBerry and meant to ask him about this, but never got around to it. It's one of the 1st things I thought of when I started writing apps. But I'm concerned at potential liability, i.e. suppose the app is wrong or fails at a critical moment or fails to be an accurate reference in training, and someone gets killed. There could be a big lawsuit claiming the developer neglected something he could have done better. Writing a truly useful app would be easy, but making that safe for the developer could be hard.

edit: I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, just that I'd have to put extra time and money in and get it validated by experts, with documentation, and probably also get a waiver of liability from customers, too. Depending on what the app does, of course, but if it's even indirectly involved in saving (or failing to save) lives, I'd want to be very careful.
    Last edited by LSphone; 10-28-09 at 10:00 AM.
    10-28-09 09:51 AM
    Theres no more liability in it than all the dozens of medical/drug/ems apps out there that are study guides, thats all this would be is a study guide, a reference, its no different than a pocket guide, just electronic.
    10-28-09 09:54 AM
    This whole topic has gotten way off track, and I'm fairly certain that a certain user with ONLY EIGHT POSTS is the cause of it.

To put things BACK ON TRACK, there should be tools available to people in governmental / human services, as points of reference, should something come up. A firefighter can't bring a manual into the field for OBVIOUS reasons, nor can anyone in the military - but, wouldn't it be nice if they had the reference connected to a COMMUNICATION DEVICE, whatever it may be? I am in support of a Firefighter app, just as I would be in support of one for any branch of the military, governmental jobs, etc. - they WOULD NOT be mindless apps, they would serve a purpose.

My only suggestion would be that people in the actual field compose such an app, that they combine all knowledge, and that they work with a developer rather than have some two-bit, out-of-nowhere 12 year old try to wing it him/herself.
    10-28-09 10:18 AM
    Thanks Ami for understanding were I was going with this, i couldnt have said it better myself, and i agree with the reason this got all off track. thanks again.
    10-28-09 10:34 AM
    Thanks Ami for understanding were I was going with this, i couldnt have said it better myself, and i agree with the reason this got all off track. thanks again.
    I only know one firefighter these days but he's one of the guys in charge, so I'd have someone I know and trust to ask questions of and check the app out. If you all want to come up with specifications for an app, I will write it; as I said, this was one of the 1st things I thought of and wanted to do.

The concept of a portable field manual makes sense, and beyond that -- an active field manual that can make calculations, even run simulations, ... and I'll leave the rest up to the experts to decide what they would like. But if I do this I want to make it something that has teeth. It's running on a platform that can do millions of calculations per second, let's use 'em.
    10-28-09 11:17 AM
189 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD