My main complaint is the backlight. I loved the bright light as my eyesight isnt the best. Now even 100% is dimmer than before and it automatically dims most of the time when I flip to landscape mode. I have auto dim OFF and Brightness at 100%. It still dims sometimes in portrait and almost always when I flip to Landscape. WTF.

I bought my Storm at the local VZW store, where does one go to file complaints online?

B
    10-27-09 04:17 PM
    Many have found out that if you put your brightness to something like 50% or below (I have mine at 40%) and set the auto dim to OFF, you will hardly notice the screen dimming when you switch it to landscape mode.

If 50% or less is too dim for your needs, you may have to wait for them to fix this issue.
    10-27-09 04:21 PM
    I will agree with you. Of all the issues related to 5.0, the one that creates the most problem is the backlighting issue. Without the contrast created by the brightness of 4.7, I can hardly read the storm without struggling to see. I find it unbelieveable Verizon let this build out with such and obvious problem.
    10-27-09 04:54 PM
    Many have found out that if you put your brightness to something like 50% or below (I have mine at 40%) and set the auto dim to OFF, you will hardly notice the screen dimming when you switch it to landscape mode.

If 50% or less is too dim for your needs, you may have to wait for them to fix this issue.
    "Hardly" is hardly believable...lol!

I always have my Storm set at 10% and if there were a 5% option I would probably use that. I do NOT like the screen bright. However, the landscape dimming cuts the 10% almost in half. It's effectively like going from 10% to -30% or something. So, even set at 10% it's much more than "hardly" noticeable. And there's no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. And it doesn't matter if it's dark in the room or fully bright. It's a super duper ******** issue that should have never passed testing. Considering the other super duper ******** issues though, I guess I shouldn't be surprised...
    10-27-09 05:15 PM
    Surely the Storm2 won't be released to the masses with such a huge, glaring problem as the dysfunctional backlight, will it?
    10-27-09 05:15 PM
    i still say its not a damn bug and it has to do with the POLARIZER. and for many its NOT a issue
    Last edited by howarmat; 10-27-09 at 05:28 PM.
    10-27-09 05:17 PM
    i still say its not a damn bug and it has to do with the digitizer. and for many its NOT a issue
    Please explain more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 05:19 PM
    i still say its not a damn bug and it has to do with the digitizer. and for many its NOT a issue
    I moved to BB from Treo because of the readability due to the nice bright screen and resizable fonts. It is a huge issue to me and others I am sure. The brightness of the original I bought last month was the major selling point!

B
    10-27-09 05:24 PM
    The digitizer? Not sure how that could affect it, but if that's the case then TONS of people have defective digitizers because it seems more people have this problem than do not. And why has it only been a problem since 5.0? If it is related to the digitizer then I would think it's because the programmers at RIM(job) forgot to code something for certain digitizers. Either that or they owe us all new Storm2's!
    10-27-09 05:24 PM
    I agree. I also bought this phone for the bright screen. I downgraded back to 148 just for this very reason. I am disappointed that verizon did not catch this. It will be interesting to see if the S2 has this happening.
    10-27-09 05:28 PM
    **** my bad, i mean polarizer...here is my theory

The storm screen polarizer might be why it dims and brightens for the different screen rotations. Its just a thought but it has capabilities like this so maybe the back and forth dimming have something to do with that. I know it has done it on my phone for longer than the OS 5 builds and i have the auto dim to on also. But i dont think auto dim and the rotation dim are even the same feature, its for some other purpose like i stated above.

Either way, if you turn your brightness down lower this is much less noticeable too.

Where sunglasses and then rotate the storm around. See what happens? I dont have anything concrete but i think it ties in somehow to the dim on rotate

EDIT: also for all of you that dont see why this was not caught during testing.. its because this build had virtually no testing.
    10-27-09 05:29 PM
    **** my bad, i mean polarizer...here is my theory

The storm screen polarizer might be why it dims and brightens for the different screen rotations. Its just a thought but it has capabilities like this so maybe the back and forth dimming have something to do with that. I know it has done it on my phone for longer than the OS 5 builds and i have the auto dim to on also. But i dont think auto dim and the rotation dim are even the same feature, its for some other purpose like i stated above.

Either way, if you turn your brightness down lower this is much less noticeable too.

Where sunglasses and then rotate the storm around. See what happens? I dont have anything concrete but i think it ties in somehow to the dim on rotate

EDIT: also for all of you that dont see why this was not caught during testing.. its because this build had virtually no testing.
    I have auto dim set to off and backlight set to 10, and it is very noticeable, never had it before 5.0, went back to 4.7 and the problem is gone. I just wish I knew why it effects some people but not others.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 05:34 PM
    That is the only issue I'm having with the update. For now, when it dims I just switch it back to portrait until it gets bright again then flip back to landscape and it stays lit up.

And for everyone hoping to get a storm2 for "issues" like these...good luck. Oh and spread da word the 'ol 3swap rule has changed. If they send u a diff phone and find out the one u send them works fine, u will be charged for the one they send u. Fyi
    10-27-09 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD