I've seen a lot of threads and posts lately talking about how to get device reset programs working with suggestions like the following:

- Set all of your default permissions to Allow
    - Set all of the permissions for the Email Setup Application to Allow
    - Set all of the permissions for Application X to Allow, then set those as the defaults

First of all, the permissions for the Email Setup Application are the permissions for ALL applications, i.e. the default permissions. Note that the menu entry reads "Edit Default Applications".

I want to make sure everyone understands what they're actually doing when they follow these instructions. The default permissions are applied to any new application you install. If every default permission is set to Allow, you are giving any application you install in the future free rein - complete access to your phone's files, contacts, internet connection, etc.

Is this a breach of national security? No. A good idea? Probably not. RIM has a very robust security backbone in their OS, and if you set all of your default permissions to Allow, you're completely bypassing it. Of course, you are in charge of what you install on your phone, but as smartphones become more popular, so will exploits. Plus, a huge benefit of having permissions is that you can catch when an application is requesting access to something it shouldn't need.

If you're willing to accept this, go ahead and do it. But a lot of people don't realize what they're actually doing, especially when they "only" set the permissions for the Email Setup Application, which are actually the default permissions for all applications.

I wouldn't recommend doing this to get any application working, including MeterBerry.
    Last edited by Giant Cashew; 10-27-09 at 01:12 PM.
    10-27-09 01:01 PM
    Is there a good FAQ or tutorial about "optimal" security permissions?
    10-27-09 01:06 PM
    thanks for the heads up!
    10-27-09 01:25 PM
    You may be a big nut..but you make good sense. I too would like to know what the optimal security preferences are.
    10-27-09 01:35 PM
    Me too....so much to learn with Blackberry...
    10-27-09 02:13 PM
    Thanks for the information Cashew - and I agree, it would be nice to know exactly what we are "allowing".
    10-27-09 02:18 PM
    id love for RIM to give me a call so i can complain like crazy to them ahah.

anyways, great finding cash and i hope we see an update for meterberry real soon
    10-27-09 02:19 PM
    Mr. Cashew,

Youz the man!

Thanks for looking out for us!

James
    10-27-09 02:22 PM
    so if i've changed the email permissions to allow, how do i change them back?
    10-27-09 02:26 PM
    This is a great post! Thank you!
    10-27-09 02:45 PM
    What would you suggest the settings be for Meterberry?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 03:26 PM
    so if i've changed the email permissions to allow, how do i change them back?
    +2 if they were changed what are the settings to go back?
    10-27-09 03:30 PM
    Here some (admittedly crapola) screenshots of my settings. Wondering if they're okay?
    10-27-09 04:20 PM
    Interactions:
    10-27-09 04:21 PM
    User Data:
    10-27-09 04:21 PM
    I would leave the permissions at the default (when you go to set the permissions it has an option to set back to the original defaults). Developers have the ability to request what permissions are needed by there apps, and should do so, to allow users to know what they are allowing the app to do. I am currently going back to make my apps request whatever permissions they need and would suggest that you encourage other developers to do so as well. You could always set apps to ALLOW for individual apps but never for the default. This would ensure that an app does not do something that is not advertised (like a game that does not have online scoring trying to access the internet - unless maybe it's add supported).
    10-27-09 06:27 PM
    I would leave the permissions at the default (when you go to set the permissions it has an option to set back to the original defaults). Developers have the ability to request what permissions are needed by there apps, and should do so, to allow users to know what they are allowing the app to do. I am currently going back to make my apps request whatever permissions they need and would suggest that you encourage other developers to do so as well. You could always set apps to ALLOW for individual apps but never for the default. This would ensure that an app does not do something that is not advertised (like a game that does not have online scoring trying to access the internet - unless maybe it's add supported).
    I dont see that option.
    10-27-09 06:32 PM
    Agreed. An application should always request the permissions it requires, instead of the developer just telling users to "set everything to Allow".
    10-27-09 06:47 PM
    I noticed this problem with app SentX, it asks for wifi and internet privilege. I understand it needs access to processes within the device, but not without.

I ended up uninstalling the app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 07:06 PM
    +2 if they were changed what are the settings to go back?
    try this for weird:
    I was looking for the same answer yesterday...but the threads that explained how to do it didn't match the options to do so on my storm...but guess what? a few hours later, the phone had reset its default permission on its own whatever!
    10-27-09 07:38 PM
    I dont see that option.
    You are right, I just checked and that option does not show in the 5.0 OS, but in the 4.7 OS there is an option to RESET DEFAULTS.
    10-27-09 10:11 PM
    I've seen a lot of threads and posts lately talking about how to get device reset programs working...
    And now you can see a developer talking about it:

How to use QuickPull on OS 5.0 - Steelthorn Software - FAQ
    10-27-09 10:38 PM
    This has to be what happened to my last Storm...simply set too many permissions to "allow" -- according to dmglakewood this leave you having to reboot the device in "safe mode" to get it to work anymore...
    10-28-09 03:17 AM
    and now you can see a developer talking about it:

how to use quickpull on os 5.0 - steelthorn software - faq
    egads!!!!!!!! And then when you see an article like this one and this one (referenced from this thread), you appreciate the value of being able to control what permissions you grant to an application.
    Last edited by Bob61; 10-28-09 at 07:35 AM.
    10-28-09 05:58 AM
    egads!!!!!!!! And then when you see an article like this one and this one (referenced from this thread), you appreciate the value of being able to control the what permissions you grant to an application.
    Exactly. Thanks for the articles.
    10-28-09 06:56 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD