Can anyone offer assistance on how to unlock an Alltel Blackberry 8830 World Edition Smartphone? I've called verizon wireless and they can't unlock my phone, Verizon called Alltel, Alltel states that they do not have the unlock codes for the 8830, they recommend that I call Blackberry RIM. Blackberry RIM States that when they sold the phone to Alltel, they do not keep the unlock codes and that alltel should have them, needless to say it seems that I am getting the runaround. Any help that you can offer would be greatly appriciated
    Last edited by MCOSUL; 10-28-09 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Add IME #
    10-26-09 04:06 PM
    CDMA phones generally can't be unlocked in the way that GSM phones can. If you are wanting to use it on GSM in overseas, Alltel should be able to help you. If you are just wanting to use it on another US CDMA carrier, you may be unsuccessful.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 08:58 PM
    Isn't a world edition unlocked anyways, it has a sim slot, why call it a world phone if you can't put another carriers sim in there, hmm what am I missing here!

10-27-09 11:38 PM
    What you may be missing is the fact that the GSM radio in an 8830 works on European GSM frequencies, not North American. So an AT&T sim, for example, would not work in an 8830. A European carrier's sim would, in Europe. So an 8830 is a world phone, it's just not a North American GSM phone.

10-28-09 01:48 AM
    The problem that I ran into was that on the later models of the 8830, Alltel had the phones locked so that it could only accept sim cards from partner carriers that they had agreements with in certain overseas markets. I was told by Verizon that the Alltel techs that are helping with the transition with the merger between Verizon and Alltel, That they do not have the unlock codes for the phone. They recommended that I call Blackberry, which in turn said that when they sell the phones to the carriers they do not keep the unlock codes (Which I find hard to believe)
    10-28-09 10:46 AM
    We can unlock 8830 from Alltel, please contact us if you still need help
    10-29-09 12:19 AM
    I need help with this, as well. I have two 8830 WE's that I need unlocked.
    11-11-09 08:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD