I literally just finished the upgrade process to 5.0. After arguing with BBM for 30 mins I finally got it going (several error messages later)

However, now whenever I text anyone, it goes through BBM. It's not a BBM message per say, it shows up on their phone as a text from me, but it shows up on my end as a BBM message. And their responses pop up through BBM, except with a little phone icon, instead of the messenger icon, next to it.

MMS however are going through fine through the SMS/MMS "folder?"

Anyone know how to fix this? I've tried just about everything I can think of.
    10-26-09 12:48 AM
    Its threaded sms. And the main thing I have been looking forward to in os5

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-26-09 01:21 AM
    Very confusing but much like everything else with the Storm, I guess I'll have to accept it and get used to it
    10-26-09 05:21 AM
    I literally just finished the upgrade process to 5.0. After arguing with BBM for 30 mins I finally got it going (several error messages later)

However, now whenever I text anyone, it goes through BBM. It's not a BBM message per say, it shows up on their phone as a text from me, but it shows up on my end as a BBM message. And their responses pop up through BBM, except with a little phone icon, instead of the messenger icon, next to it.

MMS however are going through fine through the SMS/MMS "folder?"

Anyone know how to fix this? I've tried just about everything I can think of.
    I think it's because some contacts on your BBM are linked to a contact on your adress book.
    10-26-09 07:03 AM
    I believe that is because you have those BBM contacts 'linked to blackberry contact'. If you add a new BBM contact, highlight their name in BBM and hit blackberry menu button, you'll see an option to do just that. If they have a phone number...I think it'll automatically route all messages through BBM.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong...but that's my understanding.
    10-26-09 07:04 AM
    I cannot get BBM to install properly. It is in my application list in Options and App World shows it installed but I can't find the icon anywhere.

10-26-09 08:52 AM
    I cannot get BBM to install properly. It is in my application list in Options and App World shows it installed but I can't find the icon anywhere.

U need to re-download it through your browser from Blackberry's website. (NOT App World)
    )

10-26-09 09:00 AM
    U need to re-download it through your browser from Blackberry's website. (NOT App World)
    )

Worked great. Thanks. : )

10-26-09 09:29 AM
    I believe that is because you have those BBM contacts 'linked to blackberry contact'. If you add a new BBM contact, highlight their name in BBM and hit blackberry menu button, you'll see an option to do just that. If they have a phone number...I think it'll automatically route all messages through BBM.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong...but that's my understanding.
    I think you are right but I'm with the OP - anyone know how to seperate? I'd just like to be able to keep text message conversations and BBM conversations seperate..
    10-26-09 10:03 AM
    soboness is correct. You will have to unlink. Go to the BBM contact and you can unlink there or within the contact options itself.
    10-26-09 10:11 AM
    I hate that i'm going to have to unlink everyone from my contacts. That's rather annoying. I like the threaded SMS, I just hate that it gets jumbled in within BBM. I don't see the point.

Thanks for the replies though =)
    10-26-09 10:17 AM
    My upgrade went very smoothly and I didn't even have to re-download/install BBM. However, have this same issue with the threaded text messages going through BBM. In particular, I see this happening with all text messages, not just those from people who are officially contacts within BBM. (Example: texts I get from Twitter, sent to/from 40404, which is in my address book but not in my BBM Messenger as a contact.)
    10-26-09 02:14 PM
    You get a message saying that when you unlink your contact from the address book it will also remove PIN info associated with the entry? Does that mean it's going to erase their PIN from their contact profile in my address book?
    10-26-09 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD