Hey guys,

My previous phone was a BB Curve 8330. Yesterday it started to act up on me, took it to a Sprint store and they told me it had water damage. I am unsure exactly how it got water damage, it was always kept in my pocket. The only thing that I have been able to think of was Moisture from being in my pocket, or the phone being in the bathroom while I was in the shower. To make a long story short, I called up Sprint and they are upgrading me to a Tour 9630.

My first question is... Due to my previous experience how can I prevent moisture damage on my new BB? From what I gather they tend to be very sensitive to moisture. Is there some sort of case that I can use to help?

The Sprint rep who I ordered the phone from said that RIM and Sprint are both aware of problems with the trackball on the Tour. Has anyone experienced problems with it? What happens, does it just stop working?

Is there anything else specific that I should know about this phone?

Thanks in advance guys...
    10-25-09 09:51 PM
    you should be fine trackball-wise..

for starters, dont take your berry in the bathroom when you take a shower. its not like youre gonna answer the phone in there.. thats ridiculous.
    10-25-09 09:58 PM
    "phone being in the bathroom while I was in the shower. "

That'll do it. I put my phone under a towell or something if I have to have it with me.

Keep phones away from moisture. You'll be alright with humidity until it gets close to 100% and droplets start to form on stuff.
    10-25-09 10:01 PM
    As far as the trackball goes, you'll notice it's not working first thing if it has that issue. A bunch of the first batch were built with inferiour/defective parts.
    10-25-09 10:02 PM
    That's what I would say too, keep it outta the bathroom - that could affect the moisture strip.

You could also get a holster to wear the phone on your belt - I love my seidio holster. It just snaps in but is very easy to get out when I need. And boy do I text a lot.

And yes, you should be in the clear of the trackball issue. But, since you asked, the issue was that the trackball wouldn't scroll horizontally. Weird, I know. But you should be good now!! Welcome to the Tour!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 10:04 PM
    Dude, you've never seen a mirror steam up in the shower?? You think that's good for electronics? The trackball is the least of your concern--that's not an issue anymore.
    10-25-09 10:04 PM
    "phone being in the bathroom while I was in the shower. "

That'll do it. I put my phone under a towell or something if I have to have it with me.

Keep phones away from moisture. You'll be alright with humidity until it gets close to 100% and droplets start to form on stuff.
    I used to throw on Pandora radio. Like I said lesson learned...
    10-25-09 10:19 PM
    thats an expensive radio to take into the bathroom. they have waterproof radios at Bed, Bath & Beyond..
    10-25-09 10:22 PM
    thats an expensive radio to take into the bathroom. they have waterproof radios at Bed, Bath & Beyond..
    Nothing I can do to change the past, only prevent the same thing from happening in the future. I learned a really expensive lesson.

But anyways back on track...

Anything I should know about this phone?
    10-25-09 10:35 PM
    If Sprint has the same retail package as Verizon your phone should come with a decent holster. Use it. Saves a lot of wear and tear on your screen, keyboard, and trackball, not to mention all the pocket lint your introducing to your phone.
    10-25-09 10:40 PM
    *things you should know* Like any new phone, the battery will improve with use. Don't freak out the first week or so go to mobile network options and change Network Technology to 1XEV that will improve your battery life greatly. Other than that....not much to know

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 10:59 PM
    Insurance is probably a good idea too.
    10-25-09 11:00 PM
    Insurance is probably a good idea too.
    Would you happen to know how much insurance runs on Sprint?
    10-25-09 11:06 PM
    7$ a month, with $100 dollars for a replacement.
    10-25-09 11:09 PM
    I have the tour and it is an incredible phone... no complaints so far I love it, and I am addicted hahah! Ahhhh I shouldnt take it to the bathroom!!!!!!!
    10-25-09 11:11 PM
    Bought my Tour (first time BB user) 2 weeks ago. I do have a trackball issue, so I'm bringing mine back today for a replacement. Mine almost feels smaller than my husband's Tour, and feels "loose", I'm guessing maybe because I use it way more than he does? But I should think it shouldn't be that way with just 2 weeks of use.
    I'm still operating with the OS it came with since I just don't want to mess up my phone by installing any of the leaks/hybrids etc, and I'm not that computer savvy to do the stuff anyway!
    I'm happy with it so far!
    Oh, and I'm glad you're not going to take it in the bathroom!
    Best of luck with it if you do decide!
    10-26-09 05:52 AM
    Phone is on its way. Looks like I will have it on Wednesday.
    10-27-09 12:53 AM
    I too have trouble with bathroom Blackberry Separation. I once had it in the bathroom and accidentally put a damp towel on the Blackberry which freaked it out for about 24 hours. I often set it in the bathroom in a safer location now while playing the music player while bathing/shaving. The trackball issue is ongoing. I just returned one of my two Tours for a severe horizontal problem. My other which was purchased back in the summer is fine. I've heard it may be late Winter or early Spring before the next Blackberry shows up at Sprint.
    10-27-09 08:19 AM
    I too have trouble with bathroom Blackberry Separation.
    Phew thought I was the only one lol.
    10-28-09 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD