I know a lot of you recommend a wipe first, but I'm just too lazy to save/restore apps and such.

SHOULD it be okay just to do the OTA install of the official OS without a wipe first? I mean, I guess 98% of all BB users do just that.
    10-25-09 11:18 AM
    It will be ok, some say you get peak performance from the OS by wiping clean and then installing. You can always upgrade the other way, and if any issues back up, wipe then install fresh.
    10-25-09 11:19 AM
    When you upgrade it will automatically backup all your data, but you should backup just incase, and you don't have to wipe it if you don't want to, it isn't a must...
    10-25-09 11:20 AM
    Wipe it first for best performance of the OS quit being lazy!
    10-25-09 11:29 AM
    Sorta of a newbie so excuse my ignorance but what exactly does 'wiping' consist of?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 10:36 PM
    Sorta of a newbie so excuse my ignorance but what exactly does 'wiping' consist of?

First of all do a backup on your computer. Then i think you go in Options -> Memory and you Format your Device memory. That will wipe clean your device.
    10-25-09 10:51 PM
    I have installed the new 5.0 on my storm but keep having issues and want to wipe it completly and start over and re-install 5.0 after I do that, but how to to completly get rid of EVERYTHING to start over?
    10-27-09 10:57 AM
    I have installed the new 5.0 on my storm but keep having issues and want to wipe it completly and start over and re-install 5.0 after I do that, but how to to completly get rid of EVERYTHING to start over?
    You could format the memory, as the user suggested in the post above yours...OR you could use JL_Cmder. It's a program that you download to your PC which allows you to completely remove everything from your phone. Keep in mind that once you do this, you will receive a '507' error and your PIN won't be recognized by BlackBerry Desktop Manager. In order to put the OS you want on the device, you'll need to use AppLoader (Program Files -> Common Files -> Research In Motion -> AppLoader -> Loader). Also, make sure any other OSs you don't want loaded to your device are uninstalled.
    10-27-09 02:33 PM
    Wipe first if you like to avoid headaches and a possibly painful experience. I'm not saying you'll have problems if you don't, but if you do it's more likely to go well.
    10-27-09 02:51 PM

wiping means you're erasing everything from your phone and putting it back to it's factory settings.

it's as if you just took it out of the box.

to do a wipe; options>security options>general settings>menu>wipe handheld
    10-27-09 06:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD