...look ATLOT alike. Im just wondering, other than size and the trackball (and price, can never forget price), are there any REAL differences between the new Bold and the Tour? Thnks.
    10-23-09 07:09 PM
    Why not just follow this thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f146/97...9630-a-344136/
    10-23-09 07:18 PM
    10-23-09 08:48 PM
    9630 is a pile of ****

9700 isn't

I'm running a 9630 and a 9700 amongst other BBs

Any BB with a Qualcomm chipset in it sucks. Period.

That however is just *MY* opinion.

Last edited by Pete6; 10-24-09 at 07:33 AM. Reason: language
    10-23-09 11:13 PM
    9630 is a pile of ****

9700 isn't

Easy on the language there, my friend. Anyway the US does not use that particular word. There's no problem here, just sayin'. It's a family show.
    10-24-09 07:33 AM
    9630 is a pile of ****

9700 isn't

Umm..hate to disagree, but I have the Tour and it's a great BB...Of course this is just MY opinion.
    10-24-09 07:40 AM
    My Tour has been running fine with little to no issues at all so yes luckily it is just YOUR opinion.
    That being said, the 9700 does look "better" spec wise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-09 07:41 AM
    Thnks for the links you guys. im just now learning how to use the site and stuff... so yeh... srry if i ask things tht are already answered...

and I get wht u guys are saying about "spec wise" it's just when I saw the 9700 on the BlackBerry site I was like... "wow, how will they sell these when they look just like the Tour, but they cost more..."
    10-24-09 09:00 AM
    Thnks for the links you guys. im just now learning how to use the site and stuff... so yeh... srry if i ask things tht are already answered...

and I get wht u guys are saying about "spec wise" it's just when I saw the 9700 on the BlackBerry site I was like... "wow, how will they sell these when they look just like the Tour, but they cost more..."
    The 9700 works on GSM and the Tour is a CDMA device. Why should this cost more? I have no idea but they are very different phones. The 9700 is newer so it has a new gizmo price tag. It'll drop in a coupla months.
    10-24-09 02:49 PM
    Apologies Pete6 ! Will keep it *cleaner* in future, hard to not write what I'm thinking sometimes !

Seriously, I beg anyone with a Tour to compare it to a Bold, any Qualcomm chipset phone that RIM has made to date, is sub-par to its GSM variant.

This is still just my opinion. But still, even with a lot less RAM the Bold is simply the much faster phone.

OS5 certainly made the Tour I'm using snappier, but its still seriously lagging behind the Bold in performance stakes.

Qualcomm need to up their game in the phone chipset arena.

My hardware knowledge is slightly limited but the Marvell/Xscale/Intel chipsets in the GSM variants of phones are probably a lot better at running the C based OS that RIM makes than the Qualcomm chipsets.

Thats just my opinion again, and I'm not taking a personal dig at any Tour owners so don't take it that way. I'm just asking you to honestly compare a Tour and a Bold side by side, even factoring in the Bold's lack of application memory, and its still a much faster and more compliant phone than the Tour.

I'm not talking about specs or anything like that, I'm just saying in the one area that matters to me, speed and function, the Tour is lacking compared to its GSM equivalent.
    10-25-09 08:20 PM
    All Qualcomm chipset BB's. What about the Curve 8330? I thought that was an awesome device for it's time and it is still pretty solid.
    10-25-09 09:31 PM
    Its GSM variant would have been faster, methinks
    10-26-09 12:35 AM
    My hardware knowledge is slightly limited but the Marvell/Xscale/Intel chipsets in the GSM variants of phones are probably a lot better at running the C based OS that RIM makes than the Qualcomm chipsets.
    This statement alone means no one should ever listen to your opinon on anything related to phone performance as it is clearly not an educated one.

Thats just my opinion again, and I'm not taking a personal dig at any Tour owners so don't take it that way. I'm just asking you to honestly compare a Tour and a Bold side by side, even factoring in the Bold's lack of application memory, and its still a much faster and more compliant phone than the Tour.
    All things being equal, they all run the same OS with the same features. The Tour has less than 100mhz CPU difference (so given my professional opinion, as a hardware engineer, you really won't see too big of a difference when it comes to things being "snappier" etc..

The tour and onyx have the same amount of ram, same screen, camera etc..

only differences are Trackpad/Trackball, Wifi and that CPU difference. Other than that, same OS.

So sorry, I still don't see your point.

I'm not talking about specs or anything like that, I'm just saying in the one area that matters to me, speed and function, the Tour is lacking compared to its GSM equivalent.
    Speed, you can notice like 96mhz difference? You're a robot.

Function, THEY RUN THE SAME OS!!!!!! WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? ;-) And I don't mean WiFi.. like what are you talking about.. what other OS 5 fuinctions are on the ONYX that aren't on the Tour (again not WiFi) you're losing me man.. I must be running a different OS than you on my Onyx and Tour. I have both. And I will tell you straight up.. they're the same damn thing. Anyone else who says otherwise is just a fanboy.
    10-27-09 09:23 AM
    This statement alone means no one should ever listen to your opinon on anything related to phone performance as it is clearly not an educated one.

All things being equal, they all run the same OS with the same features. The Tour has less than 100mhz CPU difference (so given my professional opinion, as a hardware engineer, you really won't see too big of a difference when it comes to things being "snappier" etc..

The tour and onyx have the same amount of ram, same screen, camera etc..

only differences are Trackpad/Trackball, Wifi and that CPU difference. Other than that, same OS.

So sorry, I still don't see your point.

Speed, you can notice like 96mhz difference? You're a robot.

Function, THEY RUN THE SAME OS!!!!!! WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? ;-) And I don't mean WiFi.. like what are you talking about.. what other OS 5 fuinctions are on the ONYX that aren't on the Tour (again not WiFi) you're losing me man.. I must be running a different OS than you on my Onyx and Tour. I have both. And I will tell you straight up.. they're the same damn thing. Anyone else who says otherwise is just a fanboy.
    I will agree the comment on Marvell running C based firmware better than Qualcomm is definitely an uneducated statement and completely off base.

The only function one has over the other that I can think of off the top of my head would be simultaneous voice and data. With normal use it's difficult to see much of a difference between the 9000, 9630 & 9700. But I will say that while multi-tasking on said devices I believe a difference can be detected between the two processors. But this is about the only time aside from Rogers or AT&T's 3G network being faster than EVDO Rev A, IMHO. But that really has nothing to do with the processors
    10-27-09 10:10 AM
    Lol ok there's not need to take it personally, I didn't just turn around and insult your family. I was expressing an unedcuated insight into why I noticed the difference between two models that I've had the recent pleasure to use side by side.

If you tell me there is NO difference between running a Tour and Bold both on OS5 .3XX variants for both, and both in GSM mode then you have either got a Tour with different hardware in it to me, or you have no spacial awareness.

Also as far as an uneducated guess goes towards comparing different processors, their architectures and their processing speed, are you going to call me stupid on that to ?

Next you'll be telling me that a 2Ghz x2 AMD Athlon64 will boot windows 7 in the same time that an Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz will boot it, as a hardware engineer, you should surely know that the two processors have different architectures, and therefore even though their Mhz speed is the same, the Intel variant is noticeably faster.

And can we jump off the bandwagon about features, I stated about three times that I am NOT talking about features that either phone has, I am purely talking about application speed and multi tasking, I'm NOT for reference talking about what extra features one has over the other, or what network either is attached to. I am talking about pure performance of each device, and how it copes. If you're a hardware engineer, then surely you will know that application/os/kernel performance does not translate to what features a device has on it or doesn't have on it.

Even with the LACK of application memory on the Bold it STILL handles the OS a lot better than the Tour with double the application memory, now as we can certainly ascertain its not down to available memory, and as we have no breakdown of how much ram either unit uses, can we maybe deduce it has SOMETHING to do with the processor architecture. Or is that me being naive ?

I am not talking about download speeds. I am using both models in GSM mode, on UK 2100mhz UMTS networks.

Maybe someone would like to chirp in and tell me that the Tour doesn't run GSM mode at all well ? But then wouldn't that just signify a lacking in the chipset again anyway.

Anyway, gary4567, I'm glad you turned around and turned quite a light hearted post of mine into something a bit more attack/defense orientated. I don't really feel the need to bob back and forth with you and work out why you feel the need to vent so much anger over a rather amusing and light post from me.

Hope your day has gone well, as well as your upcoming week. Enjoy your Tour also, for it is a great phone, with many great features.
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 10-27-09 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Removed some of the more sarcastic jibes, to make a more pleasurable reading for all :-)
    10-27-09 07:20 PM
    Lol ok there's not need to take it personally, I didn't just turn around and insult your family. I was expressing an unedcuated insight into why I noticed the difference between two models that I've had the recent pleasure to use side by side.

If you tell me there is NO difference between running a Tour and Bold both on OS5 .3XX variants for both, and both in GSM mode then you have either got a Tour with different hardware in it to me, or you have no spacial awareness.

Also as far as an uneducated guess goes towards comparing different processors, their architectures and their processing speed, are you going to call me stupid on that to ?

Next you'll be telling me that a 2Ghz x2 AMD Athlon64 will boot windows 7 in the same time that an Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz will boot it, as a hardware engineer, you should surely know that the two processors have different architectures, and therefore even though their Mhz speed is the same, the Intel variant is noticeably faster.

And can we jump off the bandwagon about features, I stated about three times that I am NOT talking about features that either phone has, I am purely talking about application speed and multi tasking, I'm NOT for reference talking about what extra features one has over the other, or what network either is attached to. I am talking about pure performance of each device, and how it copes. If you're a hardware engineer, then surely you will know that application/os/kernel performance does not translate to what features a device has on it or doesn't have on it.

Even with the LACK of application memory on the Bold it STILL handles the OS a lot better than the Tour with double the application memory, now as we can certainly ascertain its not down to available memory, and as we have no breakdown of how much ram either unit uses, can we maybe deduce it has SOMETHING to do with the processor architecture. Or is that me being naive ?

I am not talking about download speeds. I am using both models in GSM mode, on UK 2100mhz UMTS networks.

Maybe someone would like to chirp in and tell me that the Tour doesn't run GSM mode at all well ? But then wouldn't that just signify a lacking in the chipset again anyway.

Anyway, gary4567, I'm glad you turned around and turned quite a light hearted post of mine into something a bit more attack/defense orientated. I don't really feel the need to bob back and forth with you and work out why you feel the need to vent so much anger over a rather amusing and light post from me.

Hope your day has gone well, as well as your upcoming week. Enjoy your Tour also, for it is a great phone, with many great features.

Screw the tour and the Onyx.. I've got something better now. Co-worker has the 9700, the Tour is on my desk, the Essex is an office over (all 3 of them) and the new stuff I WONT TALK ABOUT cause I'm not stupid (ahem Salomondrin) is in my pocket (and closely guarded). Forget the 9700, forget the Storm2 the new cool stuff is months away, late 2010 perhaps I don't know.

I like RIM sending me beta hardware of phones that might not even see the light of day...

Here's a hint that's already public: touchscreen + qwerty keyboard.

Anyways I don't have to spend 4 grand on beta hardware, I just get it legit from RIM and don't have to stroke my ego with a blog to illicitly post details publically.

I'll sit back and enjoy my new hardware

Sal eat your heart out ha ha ha not even your sources have the stuff I have sitting around. Not even some people at RIM have some of the stuff I have sitting around... it's nice being in the mobile hardware/software development industry.

I find it funny everything Salomondrin and others post or talk about is already months old to us in the office. Old news.
    Last edited by gary4567; 10-27-09 at 11:07 PM.
    10-27-09 11:05 PM
    So...you stroke your ego with posts on CB?

On one hand I'm envious, on the other I'm meh because I don't care about beta hardware, I only care about getting a non-buggy phone in my hand.
    10-27-09 11:57 PM
    Dude last time I checked, I wasn't Sal, and nor do I have a blog in Sal's name.

I was just making a light hearted tongue in cheek comment about the 9700 vs the 9630.

Anyway kudos to you for having access to lots of beta devices.

Crack on . . . .
    10-28-09 12:11 AM
    LMAO at what this thread has become.

Blackberries: serious business.
    10-28-09 12:15 AM
    Indeed..maybe even beyond serious business. Sounds like a way of life.

And do us a favor and spare us the "I have better hardware and its cool!" What are we 5?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 06:47 AM
    Screw the tour and the Onyx.. I've got something better now. Co-worker has the 9700, the Tour is on my desk, the Essex is an office over (all 3 of them) and the new stuff I WONT TALK ABOUT cause I'm not stupid (ahem Salomondrin) is in my pocket (and closely guarded). Forget the 9700, forget the Storm2 the new cool stuff is months away, late 2010 perhaps I don't know.

I like RIM sending me beta hardware of phones that might not even see the light of day...

Here's a hint that's already public: touchscreen + qwerty keyboard.

Anyways I don't have to spend 4 grand on beta hardware, I just get it legit from RIM and don't have to stroke my ego with a blog to illicitly post details publically.

I'll sit back and enjoy my new hardware

Sal eat your heart out ha ha ha not even your sources have the stuff I have sitting around. Not even some people at RIM have some of the stuff I have sitting around... it's nice being in the mobile hardware/software development industry.

I find it funny everything Salomondrin and others post or talk about is already months old to us in the office. Old news.
    There is no need to try and disparage others with your post. First you were talking about the 9700. Then a few hours later it was different devices, all of which you mentioned are "old news" and have been in development for months. As to your comment on some people not having what you have, well that's how it works as everyone is not involved with every project team so I'm not sure what is so special about that. Sounds to me like you're contradictory in your post because you're doing the same thing in your post that you're ragging on someone else for doing. And I'm going to tell you, not many people in the Cox ISP area are involved with much R&D. Especially considering most new projects, especially the good ones are being designed & tested in Bochum and not here in NA.

Anyhow I'm not sure why you felt the need to get off onto a tangent but the issue at hands was the 9630 & 9700 and if you could tell a difference in speed.
    10-28-09 08:47 AM
    There is no need to try and disparage others with your post. First you were talking about the 9700. Then a few hours later it was different devices, all of which you mentioned are "old news" and have been in development for months. As to your comment on some people not having what you have, well that's how it works as everyone is not involved with every project team so I'm not sure what is so special about that. Sounds to me like you're contradictory in your post because you're doing the same thing in your post that you're ragging on someone else for doing. And I'm going to tell you, not many people in the Cox ISP area are involved with much R&D. Especially considering most new projects, especially the good ones are being designed & tested in Bochum and not here in NA.

Anyhow I'm not sure why you felt the need to get off onto a tangent but the issue at hands was the 9630 & 9700 and if you could tell a difference in speed.
    Yeeeaaaahhh I don't know about you buddy.. but browsing Crackberry at my company is a sin.. one of those things you don't want to be caught in the filter which is why
    Code:
    ssh -D <port> user@host
    and foxy proxy for Firefox is awesome

Just SSH through a friend's PS3 as a proxy and BOOM no "crackberry" showing up on work's web filtering.. no "chats" with the project manager.

You get yelled at if you're browsing dangerous websites.. this is how a company can lose contracts!

So yeah.. anyways... you were saying something?
    Last edited by gary4567; 10-28-09 at 10:58 AM.
    10-28-09 10:56 AM
    Sigh

10char
    10-28-09 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD