I was wondering why I would want to download the Google Maps App when I have BB Maps already on my Tour? Is Google Maps that much better? What are the main differences between the two.I used the BB Maps while in NY City and they seemed to work pretty well.
    Thanks
    10-22-09 10:07 PM
    I use both apps. They are quite different, and complement each other. BBMaps is more of a navigation tool. It has the option to have maps rotate to show direction of travel up or North up. It also has a dashboard that shows you your speed and the number of satellites being tracked. On the con side, its maps just don't look as nice as Google's and are not as detailed.

Google Maps is a more general-purpose mapping application. Its weaknesses are the opposites of BBMap's Strengths: its maps are fixed North up and don't rotate, and it has no dashboard to show you your speed or the number of satellites being tracked. On the plus side, it has beautiful maps and a host of features that BBMaps does not: Street View, which shows an eye-level view of many street locations; Latitude, which lets you share your location with friends in real time, and Public transit locations, such as the location of Metro stops in the Washington, DC area. And finally, Google Maps can approximate your location using only cell towers if you don't have a clear view of the sky. It's not as accurate as GPS, of course, but it's useful.
    10-22-09 10:26 PM
    I prefer google maps, it has much better maps and directions. However BB maps does sync with your contact list and I dont believe Google Maps does. If Google Maps did, it would be the only mapping app I would use. It is convenient to tell BB maps take me to "contact" without having to type in an address.
    10-22-09 10:30 PM
    I use google maps also
    10-22-09 10:31 PM
    I have Google Maps and what is now called Bing maps (Microsoft's map program). Used to be called Virtual Earth. Both are free downloads. Have used them both for different reasons (different strengths) and mainly use Google Maps when in unfamiliar territory.

Definitely a major bonuis for BBs, either one. Haven't tried BB maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 10:52 PM
    I use google maps also
    Eric, does Google Maps 3.2 have a working GPS fix for you on .230? On Sprint?
    10-22-09 11:13 PM
    BB Maps gave me wrong direction 5 out of 10 times. Google Maps gave me wrong direction 1 out of 20 times.
    10-22-09 11:48 PM
    Eric, does Google Maps 3.2 have a working GPS fix for you on .230? On Sprint?
    yes it does, and thats why i have google maps again!
    10-22-09 11:51 PM
    I prefer bb maps over google maps since here in canada google maps doesn't lock onto sats only tower triangulation so that's y I prefer bb maps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 11:59 PM
    I though BB maps was pretty cool... till I installed Google maps..not even the newest version. Yes they both have their advantages..but google has by far the best map quality...especially in satellite view. It's free so try it out and judge for yourself. Awesome either way you go,,, not to mention google will show your current location within a few meters!!
    10-23-09 12:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD