9 12.86%
  • Wiped OS- fresh apps, no db files

11 15.71%
  • Success and running good

49 70.00%
  • Failed and/or running buggy

8 11.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    This is a multiple choice poll, Please only select 2 = 1- what OS, + 1- success or fail

Reading through all the different threads I think I might be seeing some sort of pattern to successful and buggy installs of 5.0.0.323, then again it could just be me, that's why I made the poll
    What I seem to be seeing, in general, is most installs over a good running and/or official OS seem to be more successful then installing over a buggy OS.
    As we have seen in the past, certain elements of an OS can carry over in to the newly installed OS. So it goes to say that if your OS is buggy, the possibility of having buggy database files exists also, thus creating a borked install of the new OS.
    As far as installing on a wiped phone, I haven't really noticed a definitive pattern. But I know in the past when I have done it that way, in most cases I did a fresh install of all the apps as well, and didn't use anything from a back-up, which eliminated any possibility of buggy database files corrupting the install, and 9 out of 10 times I ended up with a good and stable running phone. I'm sure many others have done it this way too.

This time around I installed 323 over 151, which was running great and everything was functioning properly as they where suppose to, or as close to properly as we can get And I did use the backed up database files, I did NOT do a wipe.
    The install of 323 went without a hitch and it's running really good so far.

Also take into consideration that this poll is also based on the fact that you did set-up your computer to do a proper install first. (uninstall previous OS's, remove vendor.xml, etc, etc)

Pop in a reply if and how successful it was OR if it was a failed/buggy install, what you ended up doing, etc, and let's see if we can nail this puppy to get a higher install and properly running success rate. And hopefully this will help us out for smoother future OS installs too.
    Last edited by mrZoSo; 10-23-09 at 04:04 AM.
    10-22-09 07:55 PM
    Installed over 167, and I believe some of my DBs may have been corrupted. It was a 2 hour nightmare. Install failed and I got a 507, BUT was unable to wipe or get out of the error loop. I had to use Kevin's Nuke OS method to FINALLY get 323 loaded.
    10-22-09 08:05 PM
    BBSAK low level wipe of the .238/ .287 hybrid, shrink a os, then reinstalled app .cods from BBSAK, 3 battery pulls. By far the best OS for me yet!
    10-22-09 08:29 PM
    Wiped phone and the vendor file however did not remove previous versions off my computer. Installed 323 and then reloaded my settings and then reloaded my app backup.

Working great with absolutely no glitches. This is by far the best OS ever and has renewed my faith in the storm. With Canadian carriers not planning on carrying the storm2 anytime soon I was almost about to do the unthinkable and switch out of the storm. My memory is holding steady and the phone is functioning super fast.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 08:37 PM
    Removed all previous versions from PC > rebooted > Installed 5.0.0.323 > rebooted > Backed up phone with 4.7.0.148 with BBSAK > Wiped phone > Installed new OS w/ Apploader > 3 battery pulls > added 3rd party apps 1 by 1 with BBSAK > 1 more battery pull.

I have never had my Storm run this good! Even when it was fresh out of the box!
    10-22-09 09:29 PM
    installed over leaked 5.0.0.230
    Booted up and is running wonderfully!
    2 battery pulls 1 inital, and 1 to uninstall some apps.

I just got my storm exactly 1 week ago, and after a day of that buggy verizon 4.7.0.148 - I went looking and found Crackberry...
    I went straight to 5.0.0.230 and then found .323... amazing. I can't imagine what some of you guys went through when this phone first came out!
    10-22-09 09:57 PM
    I installed it over .238/.287 hybrid using Shrink-a-OS. I did not do a wipe. The entire process took about a half hour. It was the fastest install I have experienced yet. I went back to using the Zen default theme and I have not had any problems.

I feel like the phone is about 85% good now.
    10-22-09 10:11 PM
    I installed over .167, Was very impressed with the speed of the install but there are some issues including a memory leak which brought down my free memory to 0 and lots of spinney clock time waiting for stuff to happen. Almost ready to go back to .167
    10-22-09 11:32 PM
    I installed over .167, Was very impressed with the speed of the install but there are some issues including a memory leak which brought down my free memory to 0 and lots of spinney clock time waiting for stuff to happen. Almost ready to go back to .167
    it has to be an app your running. Have you tried deleting the problem app yet?
    10-23-09 12:46 AM
    BBSAK App backup. DM database backup, BBSAK low level wipe, then factory reset. Then Shrink-A-OS, and installed through apploader. Reinstalled some apps with BBSAK, then restored complete backup with DM.

Runs Awesome! Only the few common bugs, but all my required apps run, and I finally have a Stable, useable 5.0! If only elle would work it'd be perfect!

I came from a hybrid- Lyr's 7v2a. Unless using a .cod or two from a previous OS will fix the white bar theme problem, I will not be going back to hybrids in the near future. There are other reasons for that that some of you familiar with my posts may know.() But that's a completely different topic.

I am a happy camper
    10-23-09 12:57 AM
    I have both installed over working OS, and done wipes.

Both have given me reasonably stable working results, however all the software has been buggy in some way...as has come to be expected from my Storm experience :P

This current install of .230 I am on now has been the most solid, and I did do a wipe before this one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-09 03:40 AM
    Looking good so far.
    10-23-09 02:06 PM
    Early Sunday morning bump. Let's vote people
    10-25-09 12:32 AM
    I removed the previous version .148 from my computer first then installed .323.
    I did an install over but didn't restore the 3rd party apps.

Installed 3rd party apps one at a time and even installed more than I had on .148

This has been the best my Storm has run with only a couple minor bugs.

We will see if they drop .323 or .328 either later Sunday or Monday
    10-25-09 04:23 AM
    Came from hybrid 7v2b. Performed low level wipe of phone via BBSAK (first install) and JL_Cmdr (second install). Shrunk .323. 50% of apps I installed fresh, the other 50% came from my media card archive. I did not delete vendor.xml nor did I delete previous OSs from my phone.

This phone has been buggy buggy buggy. This is my second install of .323 and third time I've tried a 5.0 OS and each time has been exactly the same. At least one batt pull an hour, more if I type.

I didn't realize previous OSs or the vendor.xml file was important, but I'm superstitious enough to give this a third try today. Cross your fingers!
    10-25-09 06:23 AM
    On third load try. This time in addition to the low level wipe and OS shrink, I deleted all other OSs from computer, deleted vendor.xml file, removed the SIM card prior to the install, installed 100% of apps fresh, and didn't use any backup files (didn't restore address book or browser bookmarks).

Phone froze twice in ten minutes, necessitating two battery pulls.

I've never ever had a problem with a 4.7 build or even any of hybrids (4.7 radios). At this point, I'm thinking it's a hardware issue. I'll wait till I receive the official OS, freeze the phone (shouldn't be hard), then go to a VZW store and ask for a warranty replacement.

.230 behaved the same way, so I'm doubtful as to .328 behaving any different.
    Last edited by mikestorm; 10-25-09 at 08:28 AM.
    10-25-09 08:23 AM
    On third load try. This time in addition to the low level wipe and OS shrink, I deleted all other OSs from computer, deleted vendor.xml file, removed the SIM card prior to the install, installed 100% of apps fresh, and didn't use any backup files (didn't restore address book or browser bookmarks).

Phone froze twice in ten minutes, necessitating two battery pulls.

I've never ever had a problem with a 4.7 build or even any of hybrids (4.7 radios). At this point, I'm thinking it's a hardware issue. I'll wait till I receive the official OS, freeze the phone (shouldn't be hard), then go to a VZW store and ask for a warranty replacement.

.230 behaved the same way, so I'm doubtful as to .328 behaving any different.
    Try not shrinking the OS and see what happens. Figure it can't hurt since the official is coming this evening or tomorrow. And like you said, if it still freezes, hit the VZW store.
    10-25-09 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD