My current theme, Precision (T-Mobile), has two envelope icons on the bottom task bar on the home screen, one for SMS, and one with a little globe on it, signifying e-mail. I'd had some trouble before separating the alerts for each, by which I mean, every time I got a new email, a red asterisk would appear over each of these icons, instead of just the email icon, but whenever I received an SMS, only the SMS envelope icon would be marked. I never did fix this, but recently I just ran an update for the 4.6.0 Core Applications through the BB Desktop Manager, and now, all alerts, SMS and email, are marked on the SMS icon, though I can still go into the email folder and read my emails.

I've tried going into the messages app, then Options, then "SMS and Email Inboxes" and selecting "Separate", but this hasn't worked. Of course, it didn't work the before either. So how do I fix this?
    10-22-09 03:12 PM
    Ok. So here's the deal. The envelope icon is your "Messages" folder. It catches all messages no matter what kind of message it is. The icon with the envelope over the globe is your email icon. It only catches your email messages. Therefore when you get an email, you have a star over both. But when you get an sms, it only comes to the messages folder. You don't have a separate sms folder at the moment, so they only appear in the messages folder.
    To get the separate sms messages folder, open the messages folder.
    click the menu button.
    click options.
    click general options.
    there is a selection in there for separate email and sms folders. change it to separate.
    click menu button.
    click save.
    And voila. You now have a separate inbox for sms. It will look like a cel phone with an envelope next to it...depending on theme.
    Last edited by eric.brainard; 10-22-09 at 04:15 PM.
    10-22-09 04:13 PM
    So why now isn't the email envelope icon being marked when I get an email? That is, after the Core Apps update, only the Messages inbox would mark.
    Last edited by predcon1; 10-22-09 at 05:00 PM.
    10-22-09 04:48 PM
    Try doing a battery pull: leave your device on, pull the battery for 20 seconds, put it back in and wait for your device to boot up.
    10-22-09 04:57 PM
    Battery pull fixed it.
    10-23-09 05:41 PM
    Always remember to try a battery pull first in future situations.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-09 11:26 PM
    Battery pull fixed it.
    Good to hear... a battery pull should be your best friend as a Blackberry owner.
    10-24-09 08:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD