I am about to throw this Tour cross the room. I downloaded and installed a newer version of the Facebook app last night. The phone rebooted itself, and a few minutes later the screen said, "Reload Software 552".

It seems as though all of my contacts will be gone (I know, I had them backed up through Outlook until I wiped my HD two days ago due to a problem with Vista. I had planned on backing them up again this weekend. Lesson learned). I called Verizon BB support and was walked through downloading the software from Verizon and using Desktop Mgr to "Update" the software on my device.

This "update" (reinstall) took over an hour last night. I re-installed Windows in much less time earlier in the week. After waiting over an hour, the phone still didn't work. I decided to try reinstalling the software again this morning. Now Desktop Manager runs through the 4 steps and then says that there are no updates available for my phone.

I am going to try to call Verizon again later today, but I wanted some input or feedback from some true BB experts. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Regards,
    Theron
    10-22-09 06:44 AM
    Same thing happened to my Tour when doing a software update. Pulled the battery six times. I didn't have the time to fix it nor did I want to with all the problems I had. Went into a Verizon store and they gave me a brand new Tour. They didn't even offer any advice on fixing it. I searched the forums and read of several people having this problem. Good luck fixing it!
    10-22-09 08:33 AM
    Happened to me yesterday while installing BBM 5.
    Had to do a complete reload... still not completely done, actually.
    Every time I have to do this, it shows me which apps are really well written and are capable of recovering data after something like this.
    Prime example:
    PodTrapper
    not only does it store all the podcasts on the SD card (of course), it also backs up all the config and status settings to the SD card every time you close it.
    I reinstalled the app, it saw the backup files and I was able to restore them. I didn't have to re-enter all of my rss feeds and redownload the 3GB+ of content that I had not yet listened to.
    It was the one nice thing to happen through the entire process.
    10-22-09 09:08 AM
    The Tour is infamous for doing this after you download an app. It happened to me recently, after having my Tour only about a month. Happened after a memory error after downloading a few apps, then did a bat pull and up comes the "Reload Software: 552" error. I hadn't done any backups yet and had to reaload all apps and contacts. I was pissed.

What I had to end up doing was completely wipe the device with JL_Cmder then reload the os thru desktop manager. After that I had to re-enter all my contacts and re-download most of my apps (some were archived on the SD card).

There are actually a few more threads about this too. Like I said, the Tour has been infamous for this kind of sh*t.
    10-22-09 09:54 AM
    Even though it happened to you and a hundred other people, you will be told this is your fault and people don't know what you are doing to the phone and that they have never had a 552 error so it can't be happening - sorry do I sound bitter? I posted a problem about my phone doing this a lot and got jumped on yesterday. See: http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/4-...way-bb-342615/

Sorry, the 4.7.1.* OSes are awful. They do this all the time. Wipe your device using BBSAK and reload and I hope you have a good backup.

-frank
    10-22-09 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD