i was just browsing around and found this

The new BlackBerry Bold 9700 smartphone will be available from Rogers in the coming weeks for $299.99 on a three-year voice and data activation with a minimum monthly service plan of $45.

Rogers Introduces the New BlackBerry Bold 9700 Smartphone
    10-21-09 05:47 PM
    Thanks for that. I still think I'll wait til WIND announces what their plans are before signing on with Rogers or Bell for 3(!) years.
    10-21-09 06:28 PM
    Rape, AT&T will be offer it at 299.99 and 199.99 with 2 yr contract
    10-21-09 06:42 PM
    yes i do find that the plans are sort of pricey for both rogers and bell
    10-22-09 05:16 PM
    I've always wondered: why are there 3-year contracts in Canada? As opposed to 2-year contracts in the states?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-09 05:18 PM
    you can get it for two years, its just that the cost of the phone will be more pricey. also compared to the states and europe, canadians are paying way more for plans and getting less
    10-22-09 05:22 PM
    I've always wondered: why are there 3-year contracts in Canada? As opposed to 2-year contracts in the states?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    300 vs 30 million people...
    10-22-09 05:58 PM
    Thanks for that. I still think I'll wait til WIND announces what their plans are before signing on with Rogers or Bell for 3(!) years.
    Yay!! Glad to see I'm not the only to-be-WINDer here ...don't want to be the only guinea pig!

Because they can. This is what happens when you have a deathgrip monopoly. Well, had...(Rogellus are going to get raped, hopefully, by next spring.)
    10-22-09 06:08 PM
    I think if I can buy one from AT&T directly in the U.S. if its going to be cheaper and just bring it back and load my Rogers sim card in. Should work right? Anyone know what the retail price w/o contract will be from AT&T?
    10-22-09 06:14 PM
    I think if I can buy one from AT&T directly in the U.S. if its going to be cheaper and just bring it back and load my Rogers sim card in. Should work right? Anyone know what the retail price w/o contract will be from AT&T?
    I don't think you can buy it from AT&T if you don't have an American credit card? And even if you can, it'll still be at least $600. Don't forget that you need to unlock your phone first, which AT&T will never give you a code for because you're not a long-time customer.

Your best bet is to find an American friend (or make one...try Obama ) and get him to renew his current smartphone contract and sell you the Bold. Actually, if you get Obama to get it for you then you might even get it for free .

Lucky us for having a high dollar!
    Last edited by AngryChineseDriver.com; 10-22-09 at 06:35 PM.
    10-22-09 06:32 PM
    I'm still debating whether to ante up the money and buy it outright, or give it a few months until I can HUP.

...aside from wanting the newest one, I'm not entirely motivated to get another Bold just yet
    10-22-09 06:43 PM
    You live in the loo...just knock on RIM's doors.
    10-22-09 06:44 PM
    The reason behind the rates from the carriers has been explained before..

Canada is the second largest country in the world, therefore it is costly to have towers all over so that everyone can get coverage. It also has to do with our population which was mentioned earlier. At around 32 million people that is minuscule compared to the US, the UK, China, Japan and even some South American countries.
    10-22-09 08:50 PM
    The reason behind the rates from the carriers has been explained before..

Canada is the second largest country in the world, therefore it is costly to have towers all over so that everyone can get coverage. It also has to do with our population which was mentioned earlier. At around 32 million people that is minuscule compared to the US, the UK, China, Japan and even some South American countries.
    This makes sense to me - partially. The vast majority of us Canadians live in "southern" Canada. Conversely, hardly anyone lives way up north, nor are there cell towers way up there because there is no coverage. Looking at a map, a huge percentage of our land is uninhabited and there is no cell service there, so it's not like the Big 3 companies have to build towers everywhere.
    10-22-09 09:25 PM
    I don't think you can buy it from AT&T if you don't have an American credit card? And even if you can, it'll still be at least $600. Don't forget that you need to unlock your phone first, which AT&T will never give you a code for because you're not a long-time customer.

Your best bet is to find an American friend (or make one...try Obama ) and get him to renew his current smartphone contract and sell you the Bold. Actually, if you get Obama to get it for you then you might even get it for free .

Lucky us for having a high dollar!
    I am off to Vegas in 2 weeks so I thought I would check there. Can't I get an unlock code off the Internet? Or would it have to be from AT&T? Hopefully Rogers just gets it first and sends me one out ASAP. I already emailed my corporate rep, no response yet. Hopefully Rogers is shipping the phones and marketing material ASAP.
    10-23-09 02:35 PM
    I contacted my corporate rep yestrday and they weren't much help. All they said I still have to wait.

Only good news was that I don't have to wait the full two years for a new phone.
    10-23-09 08:53 PM
    People who want to get this phone wait for WIND! We need to support WIND for price to decrease and contracts to vanish. Wind should be coming out in November with this phone (the T-Mobile version).
    WIND
    10-23-09 09:17 PM
    People who want to get this phone wait for WIND! We need to support WIND for price to decrease and contracts to vanish. Wind should be coming out in November with this phone (the T-Mobile version).
    WIND
    Contacts to vanish? What are you smoking?

More competition is good, but don't expect miracles when it comes to cell phone rates in Canada.
    10-24-09 10:55 AM
    just wonder how much it will cost without agreement with rogers

600$ will make sense to me
    10-24-09 03:15 PM
    just wonder how much it will cost without agreement with rogers

600$ will make sense to me
    Yea, I don't like to purchase phones with a contract. And since this is going to be my first smart phone, I rather not get an contract.

Price is not an issue though.
    10-24-09 10:01 PM
    Contacts to vanish? What are you smoking?

More competition is good, but don't expect miracles when it comes to cell phone rates in Canada.
    They already stated they won't have contracts.
    10-25-09 12:51 AM
    When the Rogers 9700 is delivered, email or PM me as I want to buy one to use on AT&T

[email protected]
    10-25-09 07:43 AM
    This makes sense to me - partially. The vast majority of us Canadians live in "southern" Canada. Conversely, hardly anyone lives way up north, nor are there cell towers way up there because there is no coverage. Looking at a map, a huge percentage of our land is uninhabited and there is no cell service there, so it's not like the Big 3 companies have to build towers everywhere.
    Yay finally people are starting to get it!! For those that buy into the marketing that Canada is soooooo big and all that coverage costs money, you've been fooled - now get over it and open your eyes. 90% of Canada's population lives within 100 miles of the US border. Large network? No, small network. The advantage that Rogers, Telus, and Bell have had is that no other companies were willing to come into Canada and stake a claim here because there isn't enough money.

Now we have Wind and Dave Wireless, which I think is going to be the most attractive carrier in Canada. Rogers, Bell, and Telus are small potatoes in the global market and will eventually be swallowed up by bigger companies. It sucks in a way but better in that the raping of our mobile phone plans will finally come to an end. For those that don't believe, take a look at the all mighty Rogers! HUGE company, HUGE global presence right? If that were true, then why won't Apple talk to them? Rogers is too small for Apple to do business with, so Rogers has had to buy all their phones from AT&T. Canada's carriers are going to be bought up soon and it's their own fault for ripping off Canadians for too long.
    10-25-09 02:44 PM
    Yay finally people are starting to get it!! For those that buy into the marketing that Canada is soooooo big and all that coverage costs money, you've been fooled - now get over it and open your eyes. 90% of Canada's population lives within 100 miles of the US border. Large network? No, small network. The advantage that Rogers, Telus, and Bell have had is that no other companies were willing to come into Canada and stake a claim here because there isn't enough money.

Now we have Wind and Dave Wireless, which I think is going to be the most attractive carrier in Canada. Rogers, Bell, and Telus are small potatoes in the global market and will eventually be swallowed up by bigger companies. It sucks in a way but better in that the raping of our mobile phone plans will finally come to an end. For those that don't believe, take a look at the all mighty Rogers! HUGE company, HUGE global presence right? If that were true, then why won't Apple talk to them? Rogers is too small for Apple to do business with, so Rogers has had to buy all their phones from AT&T. Canada's carriers are going to be bought up soon and it's their own fault for ripping off Canadians for too long.
    That's not gonna happen until our govt amends the Telecommunication Acts and removes the foreign ownership limits.
    That's also the reason why our rates are so expensive compare to other places.
    I think if there was no such restriction, Fido would not be acquired by Rogers when T Mobile (ex VoiceStream) was a minority shareholder of Microcell before it was bought out by Rogers.
    10-25-09 03:13 PM

Where are you getting that information from? Rogers have an agreement with Apple to carry the iPhone. Rogers do not buy any crippled phones from AT&T. As for your last statement, that will never happen. The CRTC will never allow that to happen.

The reason why our rates are so high is because our population is only 33 million compared to the US who has over 300 million people. Another reason is Canada is the second largest land mass in the world. Rogers, Telus, Bell etc. have more area to cover than the US. So we have Canada with only
    33 million people and is the second largest land mass in the world, the US has over 300 million people with the third largest land mass in the world and you wonder why our rates are so high?
    10-25-09 03:46 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD