I previously replied to some users about syncing music to Blackberry. I recommended either dumping the files in Mass Storage Mode or using the Blackberry Media Sync. I think a better alternative is to use WinAmp (Winamp Media Player - MP3, Video, and Music Player - Winamp). It's a better player than iTunes, much more powerful, much more configurable.. etc. The Sync feature is terrific for updating your device when you add music.

That said, as a reminder, DRMed music in iTunes will not play on Blackberry. You need to remove the DRM by paying Apple, burning discs and ripping them back in, or downloading software (don't know if there's free software).

Also, my WinAmp sync dumped the music folders into the root of my MicroSD. The Blackberry Media Player scans the whole MicroSD so it's not a problem.. just a little messy looking. There may be a way to sync to the "music" folder in WinAmp but I haven't figured it out. If anyone knows how, I'd appreciate hearing.
    10-21-09 10:33 AM
    Just got my Tour, want to put music on it, have Ipod and the longer I own it the more I'm sorry I got it due to only being able to use Itunes and only on one computer, and now I can't put them on me BB. I found winamp difficult to use, isn't there something simple out there to use. I was under the impression desktop manager would make it easy to put music on my BB. Will be watching for more info on this thread.
    10-21-09 11:38 AM
    Blackberry Media Sync will sync your non-DRMed iTunes music. Usually album art won't transfer. You can simply copy your itunes directory into your music folder on your MicroSD.
    10-21-09 12:03 PM
    I used Winamp for everything. The first day I received my Tour I immediately synced it with Winamp and added music, no problems.

I do the same with my Ipod -- I use Winamp.
    10-21-09 12:07 PM
    Winamp was cool until AOL bought it and ruined it. Just like everything they buy... ICQ, MapQuest, Netscape... ugh.
    10-21-09 12:16 PM
    I used Winamp for everything. The first day I received my Tour I immediately synced it with Winamp and added music, no problems.

I do the same with my Ipod -- I use Winamp.
    Any idea how to sync to a specific directory ("music") on the Blackberry instead of the root of the SD card?
    10-21-09 12:17 PM
    Any idea how to sync to a specific directory ("music") on the Blackberry instead of the root of the SD card?
    I'm going to work on that when I get home from work. Ill keep you posted if I figure it out.
    10-21-09 01:34 PM
    I now know how to pick the directory on the MicroSD card for syncing. With the Blackberry connected, open WinAmp.. Options -> Preferences -> Media Library -> Click the device -> Advanced Tab -> edit File Name Format and Playlist Directory to include "BlackBerry\Music\" ... like F:\BlackBerry\music\<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title> for file name format.

Thanks to WinAmp support forums moderator, J_Darnley.
    10-22-09 10:57 PM
    Winamp was cool until AOL bought it and ruined it. Just like everything they buy... ICQ, MapQuest, Netscape... ugh.
    Can't argue with that. I use an old version of winamp from oldversion.com. The older versions aren't bloatware. AOL bloats everything it touches.
    10-23-09 04:56 AM
    I now know how to pick the directory on the MicroSD card for syncing. With the Blackberry connected, open WinAmp.. Options -> Preferences -> Media Library -> Click the device -> Advanced Tab -> edit File Name Format and Playlist Directory to include "BlackBerry\Music\" ... like F:\BlackBerry\music\<Artist>\<Album>\## - <Title> for file name format.

Thanks to WinAmp support forums moderator, J_Darnley.
    Worked for me! Thanks mallinj!
    11-09-09 04:53 PM
    Here is a really good Step by step from Tech Bottle

***Edit***
    One thing this article does not mention is on the Sync tab scroll down and uncheck the Library Sync button. Otherwise WinAmp will try to copy all of your songs to your BB. Unless of course this is what you want to do.
    Last edited by guanoguck; 01-27-10 at 02:51 PM.
    01-27-10 10:51 AM
    I am struggling with the way Media sync handles music files on my BB Torch. I am trying to fill a 16G card with as much music as possible, from about 5 playlists on average. My BB is my main music player and i use itunes. I like to change my music often but am finding it a struggle because it is very slow and confusing as to what is actually happening... is it wiping off everything on the phone and re-adding all the files from scratch, or does it recognize if a file is there already? Is it just slow because of the size of the card i am using? It takes hours to do this every time... What if i just want to add one playlist... it seems like it can't do this. I want to use my itunes playlists to control what i am adding.
    And i see duplicates in my library which is wasting space.. there has to be a better way to do this... I couldnt find any recent posts on here... what does everyone else do?
    06-17-11 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD