I'm a frequent visitor of both Crackberry and Precentral.

I've been watching the Pre ever since it was announced, also around the same time I realised the second generation Storm was being discussed.

I held back from getting the first storm because of reviews, carrier, user remorse.

I've never wanted an iPhone so I'm not even considering it.

Yet I'm faced with a very big choice.

So while I know we all have a slight blackberry bias, I also know were not all extreme fanboys and respect the choices we are all subjected to.

What I like about the Pre:

New Unique OS
    Nice form factor
    Keyboard - touch screen options
    Extremely easy multitask abilities
    New platform = fresh new approach ?
    Browser is amazing
    Camera is solid
    Really love how all the different features can incorporate each other (Synergy)?
    Touchstone

What I Don't like about the Pre:

Currently very few IM options
    Os isn't perfect (notifications, customizations,facebook integrates itself more than my liking)
    Currently no Video Recording option
    Plastic Casing / Hardware Issues (sliding mechanism, etc)
    Battery Woes

_____

What I like about the Storm2:

Huge screen
    Reliable OS foundation
    Decent Battery life
    Video Recording
    Personal Settings options are a plenty
    Hopeful of a richer experience as the year(s) progresses.
    Unique approach to touch screens, specially if the SurePress can be toggled.
    Potentially widgets?

What I don't like about the Storm2:

OS is dated = Experience is stale
    Browser update from RIM not a 3rd party
    Screen Resolution seems low given the fact that some Blackberry's with half the screen size have the same resolution.
    OS is a modified version originally designed with keyboards in mind
    Multitasking is limited

Obviously my feelings towards the Storm2 are from the vast amount of pictures, videos and spec sheets we have all seen. I have however had some time hands on with the Pre and it's pretty good too.

I'm going to be sticking to my choice for the next three years at least, so I want to maximize the usability of the device for this time period. ie. I don't care if either one gets some amazing new update or feature unless it's within the time frame I intend on having it for!

So, what does everyone think?

Should I keep my trust in RIM and the Storm2.
    Is this generation ever going to get an outstanding OS design for an actual touch screen phone?
    The Pre's success is heavily believed to be due to the WebOS, does it along with a keyboard and touch screen overwhelm the Storm2?

Definitely need some help,

Thanks folks!
    10-17-09 12:12 AM
    How about giving some thought to your choice in carriers! Verizon has a much better network than Sprint. And...all the carriers will soon be getting a bunch of Android phones, thus "leveling" the playing field. Keep your eyes peeled for some very interesting phones coming to all the carriers within the next couple of months.

The Pre's build quality is pretty bad, btw. You can't change font sizes and on that tiny screen it's as ***** to read. Have they even added voice dialing yet?? I know out of the chute it didn't have it.

No phone is perfect, but when you are stuck with a bad network, then ANY phone you choose is going to be useless if you can't get a signal.
    10-17-09 12:20 AM
    The Palm Pre keyboard is absolutely awful to me... The keys are absolutely tiny and are hard to press down.
    10-17-09 12:35 AM
    I really just wish Palm would fold, they haven't been relevant since the early 90's.
    10-17-09 12:47 AM
    The Palm Pre keyboard is absolutely awful to me... The keys are absolutely tiny and are hard to press down.
    Yes, I think they made the keyboard for Munchkins.
    10-17-09 12:51 AM
    It looks like a piece of turd, honestly "chubby slider" phones went out years ago.
    10-17-09 12:53 AM
    In my opinion I would go with the Storm2. I've played with the Pre myself(both in store and with units that were owned and being used in the wild) and overall the build quality on it felt... more like a toy than any of the blackberries(Storm 1 included) that I have ever used. The slide-out keyboard has a very sharp edge to it and felt flimsy once pulled out.

I agree that the OS on the Storm2 is the same OS as all the non-touchscreen BlackBerries and that this single OS across all of the various platforms leaves a lot to be desired. However, with my time with the Pre I was not really a fan of the WebOS(This was before any updates to it so I'm not sure how it is now) but it felt... more like an experiment than a fully featured phone operating system.

The browser issue on all BlackBerries should be fixed before too long with RIM's acquisition of that company... which I don't remember the name of.

With the change to how SurePress works on the new Storm I see almost all of the screen click problems the original Storm had being a thing of the past.

All in all the improvements made for the Storm2 would make me choose that over the Pre any day.... add to the fact that Sprint isn't really all that great(I mean really... who drops customers for calling customer service too much?!) and I've never had a single problem with VZW... well, that makes my decision extremely easy.

Just my $0.02 though. You really need to make your own decision on it though... getting opinions from others is nice but in the end you have to live with your decision.
    10-17-09 12:59 AM
    My boss has a palm pre, and let me start by saying WebOS is a very nice OS with lots of potential. Beyond that though, WebOS still feels very... beta-esq. It hangs a lot, there's still not many apps for it, and the hardware just feels flimsy and lightweight.

In my opinion, the Storm 1 outdid the Pre and continues to do so, so the Storm2 DEFINITELY will be outpacing it.

Only thing WebOS has that BB doesn't: a fully fledged and well working browser. But RIM's requisition of Torch will change that.
    10-17-09 03:23 AM
    At this point, I would go with the Storm2.
    WebOS is a 1.x software, and it needs to mature. The Pre's specs can't handle WebOS well enough IMO. If you REALLY want WebOS, wait for better hardware. Maybe Snapdragon, something with better hardware.
    The BB OS has been there for years, and it's stable (most of the time) and for now, I would go with the Storm2.

Just my 2 cents....
    10-17-09 12:15 PM
    If you want a phone for the long haul I would absolutely go with the Storm2. Hands down.

The Pre's is not a quality build and probably wouldnt even last 2-3 years. The keyboard is small and cheap. The phone can viewed in landscape but only type in portrait... lol what is that about. The Pre seems to have been an experiment and I doubt they will develope things AROUND the Pre. Instead abandon that phone and construct a better phone and fix bugs on that.

The Storm2 (obviously based on what we have seen and heard) is a much more quality build that can hold up over the years. The OS look is outdated but highly efficient. It gets things done and DOES have good multitasking ability. I also think many advances will be made for the storm2, such as better browser, widgets, and possible UI updates.

Pre might be cool for a bit but the Storm2 is MUCH better for long haul.
    10-17-09 12:46 PM
    Yeah, a vote for Storm 2. The build quality and the keyboard are deal breakers for me.
    10-17-09 12:48 PM
    Palm Pre "My Take".

It sucks monkey balls. No memory card slot - stuck at 8GB, no landscape keyboard, cramped physical keyboard, cheaply made, etc.
    10-17-09 02:05 PM
    Hey everyone, thanks for the replies so far.

When it comes to carriers in my area of Canada, were stuck with two major ones Bell and Rogers.

So I imagine that since Bell received the first Storm, they should get the next. They also carry the Pre so I don't get a carrier deciding factor.

The Pre's key board is quite tiny, the quality of the device might be pretty low key as well, good point.

For those who have tried the Storm2 or even those with newer OS' on the Storm1. Is the touch screen / typing good enough to replace the need for a keyboard completely!?
    At the end of the day I guess one could get worried that going from a track ball and keyboard to nothing can get overwhelming.

I'm also interested in simply hearing about people's views on the Pre. Everyone seems to focus on iPhones but few seem to look at Android or Pre.

Side note:

What phone do you feel is the hardest to decide between based on the Storm2?
    10-17-09 02:17 PM
    Palm Pre "My Take".

It sucks monkey balls. No memory card slot - stuck at 8GB, no landscape keyboard, cramped physical keyboard, cheaply made, etc.
    I agree, But you left out the freaky albino spokeswoman. That right there was enough to keep me from ever considering it.
    10-17-09 02:29 PM
    How does the pre keyboard size compare to the curve?
    10-17-09 03:51 PM
    The Curve keys are bigger, and are easier to press down (they stick out way further instead of bein almost flush with the device). It's leagues ahead of the Pre.
    10-17-09 04:21 PM
    What phone do you feel is the hardest to decide between based on the Storm2?
    I'd say probably some of the newer unreleased android devices. There are some pretty quality Android devices coming out soon that almost make me want one.
    10-17-09 04:48 PM
    Firstly, to the OP, great post, very well stated!

Secondly, both are good phones, IMHO, these are two of the very strongest devices, but for different reasons. I think this one comes down to preference.

I'm not a fanboi of any company or device, but my preferences tend to coincide with what BlackBerry provides, so I hold the company in high esteem. That said, the WebOS is by far the best OS out there ... but it's still green (as in raw/new not as in environmentally whatever). Just like the Storm 1 OS had a lot of bugs, and just like the original iPhone had a lot of bugs, the Pre is the first WebOS device, and it will have a lot of bugs. These are being addressed, but Palm doesn't have a great track record of reliability in that regard. The Pre locks up, and just about all the Treo lines of the past did as well. To a certain extent the WinMo versions we can forgive, as that was likely the craptastic WinMo OS, but even their own in-house OS wasn't rock solid. BlackBerry on the other hand, had been rock-solid ... until the Storm 1.

Personally, I think the Storm 2 will be a tigher, sleeker, faster version of what everyone was hoping the Storm 1 would be ... the polished BlackBerry version of a candybar touchscreen. From the videos that appears to be what we can expect.

The BlackBerry OS is old and functional, but not stellar. It is designed to do everything at once in small does continually throughout the day ... and that suits my style to a "T" so I'm happy with it.

The Palm WebOS is frigging fantastic, truly revolutionary and well beyond anything Google's Android or Apple's iFanboi have designed. It does everything without limitation. Unfortunately, revolutionary means bugs. I'm still not sold on the Pre becoming the rock-solid device, but I'm extremely intrigued to see the next year or two's offerings from Palm.

Build quality is another issue. The Storm 1 didn't have the best build quality, but it was decent. The Storm 2 seems to have superior build quality. IMHO, the Pre does not have good build quality and it is so unsatisfactory that I have struck that device from my list of possibilities. I'm not a slider fan, but a plasticky cheap-feeling slider really sends up red flags for me ... but that's just a personal preference really. I wil say that IF there is going to be a slider, I like the idea of a portrait slider as opposed to a landscape one. Unfortunately, the Pre's sunken tray and tiny keys doesn't really deliver on former Palm keyboard satisfaction, so the slider has no positives for me, only negatives.

But for the OP, if you are fine with the build quality and keyboard, then I'd say the only real question would be whether you have enough patience/confidence in the bug-squashing process? If you like the device and can live with the freezes, then I'd say the Pre is the better device. It has a better browser, it handles everything very well, and it has a truly stunning OS.

I'm extremely impressed with Palm's WebOS, and when it matures a bit I will also be eagerly looking at Palm's future candybar touchscreen offerings. IMHO, Google's Android is making strides but is still significantly behind Palm's WebOS. At this point, despite all the goo goo gaa gaa over the iFanboi's OS, it's still a non-multitasking media player. Once LTE hits in 2011, I fully expect Apple to need to up their game signifcantly. By then I expect RIM to have released their next generation OS not based on java. At best, I see all of these companies catching up to WebOS, not surpassing it.

For now, the Pre's WebOS has some bugs. The Pre device seems cheaply made. If you can get past those two issues, I'd say the Pre is better.
    10-17-09 05:02 PM
    How does the pre keyboard size compare to the curve?
    the curve's keyboard way ahead of the pre. the pre keys are tiny, I feel when I use it it I have to use my finger nails to type on it.
    10-17-09 05:52 PM
    I think it's down to personal preference. Having being an iPhone user (up untill today when my 1 month old 3Gs decided to lose battery after 2hours of charge to then randomly turn on 4hours later with over half battery life)

The palm pre came out here in the UK on Friday and I went and had a little play around with it. I found it to be REALLY laggy, like you said the lack of IM clients etc, really disinterests me. I learnt also that Storm 2 is due for release in 9days time for here (according to vodafone) never played around with the original storm so went and played with it today.
    Personally from first impressions the storm > palm pre so who knows what the storm 2 will be like over the palm pre.

I have owned a blackberry before and miss a lot of features, but with the bold i missed touch screen so went back to iphone. It seems to me that Storm 2 will fulfill my needs and requirements.

But the storm does feel a lot nicer to touch, the palm pre felt a bit, plasticy and cheap if you get what i mean.
    10-17-09 06:01 PM
    Firstly, to the OP, great post, very well stated!

Secondly, both are good phones, IMHO, these are two of the very strongest devices, but for different reasons. I think this one comes down to preference.

But for the OP, if you are fine with the build quality and keyboard, then I'd say the only real question would be whether you have enough patience/confidence in the bug-squashing process? If you like the device and can live with the freezes, then I'd say the Pre is the better device. It has a better browser, it handles everything very well, and it has a truly stunning OS.

For now, the Pre's WebOS has some bugs. The Pre device seems cheaply made. If you can get past those two issues, I'd say the Pre is better.

Wow thanks for the response,

See I think it makes sense to rely on a proven true OS as opposed to a new one, perhaps it's simply the awe factor that caught me for the Pre.

After looking into the Android devices, while they seem amazing, it looks like the companies are forced to over haul WinMo so much it there doesn't seem to be a point to use it in the beginning.

I'm definitely waiting until I can at least get my hands on the Strom2 to demo it. Problem is trying to find one with these Canadian providers, they never had a demo device to check out for the Storm 1 and thus far I've only seen them for iPhones and Pre's.

Same goes for Android devices, were limited to quite a few.

Back in the 'feature phone' days you really didn't need to try the phone out, I think they really need to demo smart phones because there not all about looks anymore. They all function differently even if they achieve similar tasks .

Is there anyone out there with real pre experience? The true performance of the phone can only be seen by real people using the phone, not some Rep or on site phone.

Thanks again everyone for the help!
    10-18-09 11:03 AM
    storm 2 def. hate the little nugget of a palm pre lol it is a great phone, but the design,... feels cheap
    10-18-09 12:06 PM
    Is there anyone out there with real pre experience? The true performance of the phone can only be seen by real people using the phone, not some Rep or on site phone.

Thanks again everyone for the help!
    For what it's worth, I'll stick my head in the lion's den here.

I bought a Storm I on launch day. Stood in line, in the cold to get it...and traded it in for Pre within a week of the Pre's launch.

I detailed my "defection" in this thread here.

I will NOT rag on the Storm, saying it is/was a bad device.

I didn't have any build-quality issues with mine.

I did the Torx adjustment and business card behind the battery door to get the screen to click the way I liked it...and those fixes made the phone work reliably.

I had a friend who also traded in his Storm I for a Pre and he had all kinds of freezing/hourglass issues with it.

Mine was pretty good for the most part. It took quite a bit of tweaking but I could get it to do what I needed it to do, for the most part.

All of that being said, the Pre just blows it away. Yeah, there are some build-quality issues (unlike the Storm I, right?) but I've had NO issues with the slider or the keyboard.

As for the smallness of the keyboard (I don't have tiny hands by any stretch of the imagination), you simply get used to it...and I can FLY on it now.

I looked back at my original thread, and the only thing I'd change is the negative I wrote about not having the ability to set up individual sounds for calendar notifications, messages, and e-mails. There's a patch available now that takes care of that. I even found the Blackberry sounds I used on the Storm and have the Pre set up using those!

The Pre's battery life is really as bad as everyone says though, if not a little worse. It comes stock with an 1100 mAh battery. I bought the Seidio 1350 mAh battery (biggest available that doesn't require a new back cover) and getting through a day is still a challenge.

I can't say enough about how much better the e-mail experience is on the Pre than the Storm. I got the BB hearing how incredible the e-mail was for it...and was so disappointed. Something as simple as sub-folders. Nope...it all goes in your inbox and you just have to sort through it. Really?

The Pre integreates seamlessly with my Gmail...all of my subfolders are there and I can easily move emails around.

Apps - The Pre still has a long way to go...compared to BB...compared to Android...compared to Apple.

The developer community however...holy cow!! There's an app called "Preware" that lets you not only install literally hundreds of homebrew apps, but also lets you install OS tweaks to add features that Palm hasn't implimented yet. No "rooting" your Pre, no crazy commands. OTA downloading and installation of the tweaks by pressing the button marked "Install".

If anyone as specific questions about the Pre, I'm happy to answer them (I don't visit this forum often anymore but I'll subscribe to this thread and keep up with it...until I get boo'd off the stage!)
    10-19-09 01:19 PM
    PRE to me seems more like a chick phone. The keyboard is way too small. I personally don't like sliders and flips. Everytime you have to type or input something it takes an extra physical action on the user's part. At first, the novelty of a flip or slider is kinda cool, but after a while it is a real pain when you are in a hurry and or multi-tasking.
    10-19-09 01:32 PM
    PRE to me seems more like a chick phone. The keyboard is way too small. I personally don't like sliders and flips. Everytime you have to type or input something it takes an extra physical action on the user's part. At first, the novelty of a flip or slider is kinda cool, but after a while it is a real pain when you are in a hurry and or multi-tasking.
    I know everyone's different, but for me, having owned/used both kinds of devices extensively, the physical keyboard is MUCH faster when you're in a hurry or multi-tasking.

I can slide the phone open and start typing WITHOUT looking...or just glancing down every 6th letter or so. It's much easier to type while getting on/off the elevator at work or walking down the hall/street.

As for true multi-tasking, I haven't seen any OS that can TOUCH the Pre's "card" interface. It's so quicky and easy to switch between applications...have 2 SMS conversations going on, replying to an e-mail, pulling up my checkbook app to see if I have enough money to eat lunch, while I'm looking something up in a web browser...flick, flick, flick, swipe. Don't even need to look at the phone to do the gestures.

And if you really want it, there's a virtual on-screen keyboard patch available. Just install it and, whenever you want they keyboard, just double-tap on the gesture area and it pops up...portrait or landscape. Tap the gesture are again and it goes away.
    10-19-09 01:38 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD