I'm on Sprint paying approx $60-70 per month for 500 minutes and unlimited data and texting on my Tour. No real complaints but I am really fascinated with the 9700, and I'm out of contract so I figure why not try another carrier (I can always port back, you know).

But at AT&T I'm looking at about $90-100 per month for the same services. I think I can get a discount from my university @ 15% off each month, but I'd still be paying prob $10-15 more each month.

Is it worth it? Like I said, no real complaints with Sprint (besides the questionable store associates and stereotypical Sprint clientele) but perhaps I don't know any better since I've been with Sprint for 10 years.
    10-14-09 11:34 PM
    Also, I believe there is a $36 activation fee required for all new AT&T customers? Say I end up dissatisfied with the AT&T service in my area and cancel at 30 days, will I lose not only my money for the services used but also $36 activation fee as well?

Could be out $39.99 + $50 bundle + $36 activation fee = $125.99 to TRY a service out

Ouch.
    10-14-09 11:40 PM
    First and foremost make sure At&t will work for you, and the service will meet your needs like the way Sprint is working well for you. That should be your first priority, I'm just not a huge fan of switching carriers for a phone.

Trying to put myself in your shoes, the tour and Onyx are pretty much similar devices spec wise. And the only real difference is the Trackpad and WiFi. I personally wouldn't switch and pay more a month for that. But then again that's just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    10-15-09 12:01 AM
    Personally I do not think you should switch just for a phone. It is one of those things where you should choose a carrier first then worry about what phone you can get.
    I do not thing the onxy is worth 600+ you would have to pay for to get it between the cost of buying the phone and you increase in contract price.

Carrier first then worry about the phone. I am on ATT because most of my friends and family use it so the M2M is great

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 08:21 AM
    I'm on the opposite end. I used to have Sprint, now I have AT&T.

I was *this* close to switching to Sprint to order a tour due to SE plan being $55 with my discount, but didn't for two reasons:
    1) Sprint's phone selections always tend to suck. Even if they have the phone I want now (which usually they don't) they will not later on. I can't use any phones except Sprint phones, so I end up stuck. That's why I left in the first place...
    2) As long as the carrier's service isn't atrocious, I would rather pay more for a phone selection I actually like... Both Verizon and AT&T have far better options (Storm, Storm2, Tour, 9700, Bold, allow using phones not specific to that carrier only, etc).

I got sick and tired of waiting and waiting for a possible upgrade path on Sprint, just to have it run into a bunch of problems, then have to wait for the next iteration (Tour to Essex for example). Had I stuck with Sprint I would have been waiting from the 8330 all the way until the Tour and still not had wifi...
    Last edited by papped; 10-15-09 at 01:54 PM.
    10-15-09 01:48 PM
    If price is a factor you will pay at least 28dollars a month more on AT&T for the same plan even with your 15% discount.

AT&T
    39.99 (450 anytime/m2m/nw)
    50.00 (BIS, unlimited sms/mms)
    89.99 - 15%
    =76.49
    9.99 (Telenav)
    8.99 (7pm nights/weekends)
    ST=95.47
    + Tax of approx 13%
    AT&T Grand Total=107.88

Sprint
    450 anytime 39.99
    BIS 30.00
    unlimited SMS/MMS 0.00
    7pm nights 0.00
    telenav 0.00
    ST=69.99
    + tax of approx 13%
    Sprint Grand Total = 79.08

I'm not saying you should or should not switch to AT&T, just be sure to figure everything into the calculation. AT&T may work better for you in your location and make the price difference worth it. However if you are just switching for a phone and the service is equal, it may not be worth it, if price is a factor.

If AT&T offers a discount through your university, Sprint may also. If you are paying 60-70 per month, i'm thinking you may already be getting a Sprint discount, which further magnifies the price point difference.

However AT&T has other benefits: sim card, more reliable international SMS, SMS while roaming internationally, somewhat less expensive upgrades if upgrading before your contract is over.... So there are +'s and -'s to both.

In my area AT&T generally offers more robust voice coverage, but in other areas Sprint is more robust than AT&T.

I would not switch carriers for a specific phone. I'd rather go with which service works best for you in your area at a price you can afford.
    Last edited by hominid7; 10-17-09 at 01:02 PM.
    10-17-09 12:56 PM
    As someone else mentioned, you should never switch carriers for a phone. Without good service it doesn't matter what phone you have. Not saying AT&T won't work for you. Ask around, friends, neighbors. Chose the best coverage first, then a phone. Good luck.
    10-17-09 05:09 PM
    I agree, you should check to see if AT&T's network is fine in your area. At my house, all AT&T phones become expensive paperweights (literally). After two years of walking down the street to use my cell phone, I finally made the switch to Sprint. Having a nice phone but being unable to use it makes the phone pointless.

Yes, AT&T will have a better phone selection because they use GSM phones. However, none of the other carriers can beat Sprint's phone plans. Unlimited text and data, unlimited nights & weekend at 7 pm, BIS included for free (Everything plans), free roaming, and any mobile any time is a great deal.

Leaving a carrier after being with them for 10 years just for a phone doesn't make sense, especially if you don't have any complaints.
    10-18-09 01:13 AM
    Tmobile will have the 9700 too and you can get 15% college discount with them. Tmobile costs less than AT&T.

I tried AT&T for 30 days and didn't like it and got my $36 back.
    10-18-09 01:44 AM
    T-Mobile is cheaper than AT&T. Both have similar service. The only draw to AT&T, handset wise, is the Blackberry Bold, because T-Mobile is also getting the 9700.

Weigh your options carefully.

ETA: Also, allow me to note - I have had BOTH AT&T and T-Mobile. I am not speaking from bias.
    10-19-09 02:30 PM
    T-Mobile is cheaper than AT&T. Both have similar service. The only draw to AT&T, handset wise, is the Blackberry Bold, because T-Mobile is also getting the 9700.
    Tmobiles network is much smaller... It's really going to matter where you live for Tmobile, so I wouldn't just assume the service is equal in your area unless someone tells you so from that area.
    10-19-09 03:18 PM
    If price is a factor you will pay at least 28dollars a month more on AT&T for the same plan even with your 15% discount.

AT&T
    39.99 (450 anytime/m2m/nw)
    50.00 (BIS, unlimited sms/mms)
    89.99 - 15%
    =76.49
    9.99 (Telenav)
    8.99 (7pm nights/weekends)
    ST=95.47
    + Tax of approx 13%
    AT&T Grand Total=107.88

Sprint
    450 anytime 39.99
    BIS 30.00
    unlimited SMS/MMS 0.00
    7pm nights 0.00
    telenav 0.00
    ST=69.99
    + tax of approx 13%
    Sprint Grand Total = 79.08
    Also, Sprint has any mobile, anytime in this package, so you basically have unlimited m2m with any carrier, and that 450 only applied to landline calls. Thats a huge value. And Sprint's data is much faster/more consistent in most places.
    10-28-09 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD