I've been reading a whole lot about threaded SMS in the leaked 5.0. This has made me want to upgrade from the 8310 to 8900.

I only use SMS and am not interested in BBM. What I've been hearing is that the threaded SMS only works for contacts that you add to BBM. Or is the SMS app itself threaded? If I uninstall BBM, will I still get the threaded SMS?

Threaded SMS is going to be the reason I upgrade so this is an important question for me.

Also, if anyone with threaded SMS is kind enough to make a video or picture blog going through all of the features of it, I would be very thankful!

Thanks!
    10-14-09 10:16 PM
    Threaded SMS is like Blackberry mobile in that i works king of lik a chat bubble. But its not linked to bb mobile, it just has that style. So say when your texting someone its like if you were typing a message in BBM.
    10-14-09 10:35 PM
    Thanks!

So, just to be sure, BBM and the Messages app are totally different. No association with each other.

The threaded SMS is just a reskinned version of the Messages app on the Curve 8310 (so it is similar to IM style of 3jam's threaded - that is what I am curently using)?
    10-14-09 10:40 PM
    correct
    but the new bbm 5, u can add regular #s for sms
    10-15-09 12:48 AM
    it is seperate, but i have found that if a BBM contact sends me a SMS messages, they will appear in my BBM chats, not my SMS box, in addition that little "new message" icon lights up until i delete it.

anyone else notice that bug, or is this something that is already known?
    10-15-09 02:23 AM
    I think all of my sms ends up in bbm. This wouldn't be a problem for the OP tho, as he can just delete the bbm app since he doesn't use it and still have threaded sms.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 02:35 AM
    Look, since you asked and even though you don't use BBM, threaded sms is just a tool that BB has added to the new OS to help organize communications with individual contacts... Take this as an example, I use BBM and sms and I usually don't sms with my BBM contacts, what's the point, right? But just supposing that I have an active BBM chat with someone and they send me an actual sms or mms, it will be displayed in BBM as a separate chat with that contact, but my chats with that contact are kept separate from other active chats... If you delete BBM from your phone when you upgrade your device, threaded sms will still be a feature of sms, supposing it is a feature of the OS that you are running... My question is, what do you have against BBM? Do you not have an unlimited data plan? Since BBM is data, like email, you can use it from your home network to send messages internationally without excess charges, whereas, if you send an sms to someone outside your boarders, you pay a per message charge even if you have unlimited domestic messaging... Example, a friend of mine is in Thailand, we BBMed the other day as part of our plans, but had that conversation been sms, it would have cost both of us international messaging rates, both sending and receiving, big$ for a short conversation! I just don't understand the aversion to BBM...

10-15-09 02:43 AM
    it is seperate, but i have found that if a BBM contact sends me a SMS messages, they will appear in my BBM chats, not my SMS box, in addition that little "new message" icon lights up until i delete it.

anyone else notice that bug, or is this something that is already known?
    It's not a bug. It's how it's supposed to be. They made it so if you assign link a BBM contact to a regular BB contact it puts all their info through BBM as a "one stop shop" for that contact.

You can disable it, though, by hitting the BB menu on your contact in BBM, "Remove Link to Blackberry Contact" or somethign similar. Yes, it takes their PIN info from your normal contacts, but it will go back to normal SMS/BBM seperation for those contacts.

I like the idea, but I would rather have them fully seperated (although for business users it probably helps them keep track of things easier having a business contacts SMS/BBM all on one screen).

Hopefully the next update will allow a "disable" option for that instead of having to just break the link.
    10-15-09 05:29 AM
    Look, since you asked and even though you don't use BBM, threaded sms is just a tool that BB has added to the new OS to help organize communications with individual contacts... Take this as an example, I use BBM and sms and I usually don't sms with my BBM contacts, what's the point, right? But just supposing that I have an active BBM chat with someone and they send me an actual sms or mms, it will be displayed in BBM as a separate chat with that contact, but my chats with that contact are kept separate from other active chats... If you delete BBM from your phone when you upgrade your device, threaded sms will still be a feature of sms, supposing it is a feature of the OS that you are running... My question is, what do you have against BBM? Do you not have an unlimited data plan? Since BBM is data, like email, you can use it from your home network to send messages internationally without excess charges, whereas, if you send an sms to someone outside your boarders, you pay a per message charge even if you have unlimited domestic messaging... Example, a friend of mine is in Thailand, we BBMed the other day as part of our plans, but had that conversation been sms, it would have cost both of us international messaging rates, both sending and receiving, big$ for a short conversation! I just don't understand the aversion to BBM...

That basically sums up all of my questions. Thanks a lot!

I actually don't have anything against BBM. I don't have any need for this because I have very few friends who actually use BBs (they have regular non-smart phones or just texting phones). I am currently in college and the only thing people have is unlimited text messaging. This is why threaded SMS is an important factor for me and not BBM.

Since I wasn't planning on using it, I was going to delete it to clear up some memory from my phone. If I actually had friends who used BBM, I would definitely use it. But, unfortunately, I do not.
    10-15-09 03:43 PM
    That basically sums up all of my questions. Thanks a lot!

I actually don't have anything against BBM. I don't have any need for this because I have very few friends who actually use BBs (they have regular non-smart phones or just texting phones). I am currently in college and the only thing people have is unlimited text messaging. This is why threaded SMS is an important factor for me and not BBM.

Since I wasn't planning on using it, I was going to delete it to clear up some memory from my phone. If I actually had friends who used BBM, I would definitely use it. But, unfortunately, I do not.
    Heard! And a wise decision, the only downside to it will be the very few minutes it takes to install supposing you ever want it back... Happy upgrading and happy texting, I'm pretty positive you'll love threaded sms once you upgrade, if you haven't already... Cheers!

10-19-09 01:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD