I am wondering if anybody else has run into the same problem?

I am on my third Storm in as little as 8 months. My first Storm was dropped only once from less than table top height and after the drop it was dead. I have had many phones and they have all been dropped many times from far greater heights and they all survived. I was shocked to say the least but I blamed myself and said well maybe it was the way it was dropped and the way it landed!

I got my replacement Storm. I am lucky I have an insurance policy through Bell Canada that costs $7.00 a month which covers drops, water damage, lost phones and also phone malfunctions. The policy replaces the phone and depending on how the phone was damaged you could be charged $150.00 ie drop or liquid damage. I was lucky because the carrier looked at the phone and there was no evidence of a large drop so I got the phone replaced for free.

I had been enjoying my new Storm for about 4 months. I have read the CrackBerry forums which are a great help in getting the most out of my phone. The email is flawless and quick the BlackBerry Messenger and text messaging works very well. My browser was disappointing but after downloading Opera Mini it has been satisfactory. It is a problem that I can't open all types of attachments but I understand the security concerns. However I digress; the other night while looking at a message my Storm was locked between two screens the inbox and the message itself. My hour glass was running and my phone was frozen. I tried to push the back button, then the menu button and then the end button but nothing seemed to work. I then touched the screen again which has been getting a bit less responsive as time has gone by and I got a small grey rectangle when I clicked the screen. Thirty seconds later the screen went dark. Thinking my phone had locked or just went into hibernation I clicked the screen again but nothing happened. No problems I thought so I tried again a few times the screen seemed to be backlit but just bit lighter. I could not get any information on the screen it seemed to be dead. So I turned off the phone and did a battery reset. After the battery reset the screen was still dead. Then I tried a hot battery reset but again the screen was still dead. My LED light works great my phone receives calls and messages but alas I cannot see who is calling nor can I read a message nor make a call with a blank screen. So now I will be on my third phone in 8 months.

I use my Storm as my main phone (I am on the road 15-20 days a month) I use the Storm as a home phone and my main form of email contact. I bought the Storm because of the excellent reputation of BlackBerry from many of my friends. After this experience I cannot say the same, I do not trust this phone. While I will take my free phone from the insurance company I have serious doubts on how long it will last. I am the only one who has had this problem?

I tried to contact BlackBerry because I did not want to rant on this forum. However there is no way to contact BlackBerry directly so I have turned to this forum to ask you how and maybe catch someones eye who cares at BlackBerry. I called my phone insurance plan but they are just fat dumb and happy replacing the phone. I am not happy with that at all because all I want is a product I can trust to work when I want it to work.
    10-14-09 08:06 PM
    You best point of contact is your carrier (so Bell). They have contact with BlackBerry Technical Advisors who can address issues that they are unable to solve. If you're just looking to rant and rave to RIM, there isn't a lot that you can say that they haven't heard in one form or another.

The Storm is a good phone and many people have yet to experience problems with their phones, but for some reason, some people always seem to attract the duds.

I've dropped my own Storm multiple times on various surfaces including concrete, asphalt, laminate flooring and more with absolutely no ill effects. I've heard of others dropping their BlackBerry smartphones while riding their motorbikes at over 100 kph, turn around, drive back and grab their still functioning (albeit dinged up) phones.

I can't say why you've had so many problems. Sometimes that the nature of the beast. The Storm is not a bad phone, but it's clear you've suffered a couple of bad experiences. Still if you want to take issue over it, the best starting point is with your carrier.
    10-14-09 09:58 PM
    I have had my Storm for a long time now with 0 reliability issues.

What OS are you running?

You are probably running an older OS, so I would recommend upgrading to a new, more stable, faster one.
    10-14-09 10:04 PM
    I have had my storm for a bit now and have had zero problems (other than a freeze here or there... nothing a batt pull couldnt fix)

But my room mate has had his since before the official release (won it on here on the "what i would do for a bb storm competition" and he has had zero issues with it.
    10-14-09 10:18 PM
    I have had this same Storm since it was released, and it has been through absolute ****, yet still happily does what I ask it to. Ever since upgrading to .230 I've never had a problem since.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 11:13 PM
    I don't understand why people don't buy cases for their phones and if did it must have been cheap. In regards to your stall, it sounds like you don't maintain the phone itself. Cleaning cache, deleting aps you don't use, being careful of the aps that you do. That whole gray triangle after your stall sounds like you kept pressing hard on the phone until u decided to do the FIRST thing you should have done A BATTERY PULL. Again. It has been repeated on here, user error. Since Verizon has great CS try to exchange your phone to something that can with stand you.

10-15-09 12:49 AM
    I have a case a good one. I have upgraded my phone. I always clear the memory and I have had very few issues with the operation of the phone because I do use all the tips I have got here if you read my original post. I did say what I was happy with. However I have never dropped my second phone and only dropped my first phone once and my first phone broke on the first fall from less than table height and my second phone which was never dropped just quit all on its own the screen is dead. So I ask you what would you think?
    10-15-09 07:47 PM
    My storm experience has been bad also. I lost the first one....my issue, but I have been through 4 other ones since then (either not working out of the box or quit soon after).

I have been lurking here for months and I keep my phone optimized and updated with the latest OS. Although I think the updated OS makes this phone better and better, it still leaves a lot to be desired.

I am going to try to sell this S1 and try the S2 and hopefully get a better result.
    10-15-09 08:04 PM
    I dropped mine numerous times from pocket height... it was fine. then I spilled beer on it and if ****ed up the aux input... the replacement jsut didn't work, so I ended up with my 3rd, and it's fine... have yet to drop it though.
    10-15-09 09:33 PM
    I'm running OS 4.7 and I am having this same issue it just started last night and in the morning it seem to work but by 7pm comes around it starts doing the same thing screen goes blank and I still received txt and emails and phone calls but my screen is not responding tomorrow I will go to Verizon and see what they can its frustrating because I really like this phone
    10-15-09 10:59 PM
    @grimrom I don't understand why you are posting on here but since you have and are asking what I would think: basic crackberry 101, if your phone stalls do a battery pull. Your post didn't state you did that. Then the responses you received have stated worse abuse and the outcome has been fine. I dropped mine getting out of my car on asphalt and fine. You either pressed your screen too hard, which is what you described or left the phone in the heat with direct sunlight. In regards to RIMs reliability, they are. They were the first push email devices that came out and continue to evolve. Your chase for answers seem really strange. Move on to a different device that can with stand or that you can understand. Or write to RIM. Posting a question like this should be in some "chat" site.

10-15-09 11:40 PM
    Hi I am posting here because I cant find anywhere else where there is a wealth of information on this phone. I will say it again when the phone works it is the best phone I have had. I have buddies with I phones but the email is slow to say the least and while all the fancy apps are cool on the iphone they are just gimmicks and the primary reson for having the phone seems to be overridden with games and pop vidieos. That all being said I am not one to pound on my screen I understand I click is all it takes. I did do a battery pull maybe too late. However the phone should be able to withstand some normal use. I always carry my phone so it has not been left in the car and fried and this fall in Ontario Canada if you live up here has been anything but warm. As for understanding the device PJURBINA the device is built for consumers to use in their every day life. I should not need a two week course in the care and operation of the phone. I understand electronics and systems quite well having worked with them my whole life so maybe I was here because I am confused that despite taking great care and using all the advice on this forum my phone still decided to quit. I am just chatting with people asking if they have had the same experience. I cant get any answers out of my carrier nor BlackBerry(RIM) so I have turned to you the experts.
    Last edited by Grimmron; 10-17-09 at 01:44 PM.
    10-17-09 01:41 PM
    Hi I am posting here because I cant find anywhere else where there is a wealth of information on this phone. I will say it again when the phone works it is the best phone I have had. I have buddies with I phones but the email is slow to say the least and while all the fancy apps are cool on the iphone they are just gimmicks and the primary reson for having the phone seems to be overridden with games and pop vidieos. That all being said I am not one to pound on my screen I understand I click is all it takes. I did do a battery pull maybe too late. However the phone should be able to withstand some normal use. I always carry my phone so it has not been left in the car and fried and this fall in Ontario Canada if you live up here has been anything but warm. As for understanding the device PJURBINA the device is built for consumers to use in their every day life. I should not need a two week course in the care and operation of the phone. I understand electronics and systems quite well having worked with them my whole life so maybe I was here because I am confused that despite taking great care and using all the advice on this forum my phone still decided to quit. I am just chatting with people asking if they have had the same experience. I cant get any answers out of my carrier nor BlackBerry(RIM) so I have turned to you the experts.
    You're absolutely right you shouldn't need a 2 week course, but you do need to understand how the device is and how it "acts." I'm not saying it's ok that VZW/RIM put out a phone with so many issues and all that, but I'm just saying it's what you have, might as well try to make it work for you. Are you having any problems with your current phone (newest replacement)?
    10-17-09 02:11 PM
    Thanks I was exaggarating about the two week course: however many people want to blame me on this site as the problem and I am only looking for answers. I have been careful with my phones I keep them up to date and I only use apps from the Blackberry app centre and I only use my phone company approved O.S. upgrades. I know the phone is new technology and both my phones did not have a scratch on them (I am careful with everything I use.) Old No. 7 thank you for being civil and asking how I am doing with the new phone. I have no problems with the new phone and I have downloaded a few less things but I may still download Opera Mini again because it lets me on websites that I cannot get on using the BlackBerry Browser. Now before everyone yells at me again the sites are work related and secure!! When I have the phone I do daily battery resets and I constantly check the status of the memory I clean it every time I use the browser and on some days I do 2 or 3 resets depending on how much I am using the phone. I have used much of the advice I have gotten on this site to make my phone work well. What I am saying is despite doing everything I could to make the phone work somehow according to some posters I am not worty of the phone --Move on to a different device that can with stand or that you can understand. Or write to RIM. Posting a question like this should be in some "chat" site.--I have tried to write RIM I have tried to talk to my service provider but RIM won't talk and my service provider is happy that I am paying extra insurance for a phone so they don't care because it does not directly affect them. I on the other hand have to make due with a phone that I love to use but on the other hand am always wondering in the back of my mind will it work? I just want to see if anyone else has the same problem. I am curious it is my nature. That is why I am in the job I'm in because I always ask questions and I am not satisfied with the easy answer that may work once in a while but not always. That is why I am a bit frustrated with the device because when I works it is fantastic but I have been bitten by it twice and both times I feel that the device let me down. I did not abuse the device.
    10-18-09 06:19 PM
    i promised myself that i wouldn't respond to this worthless post, but since you are quoting me, i will say one last thing and then unsubscribe. i didn't yell at you, you were the one that mentioned my name in caps, but my feelings didn't get hurt.

those of us that are "I am curious it is my nature" tend to use google...search...etc.

later gator: HAVE A GOOD ONE ON YOUR WANTING TO GET INSIGHTS!
    10-18-09 06:44 PM
    I'm approaching the one year mark with my device and have no problems to report. Well, none that .230 dint fix anyway

10-18-09 07:00 PM
    I had seven bad units and I have not given up yet. (well, I did once, but here I am again) Once you get to know the quirks of the unit and get use to toying with the software to get it working good, the results will be amazing. Upgrade the OS and keep up to date on the developments with it. It seriously feels like a new phone.

I get it is frustrating going through so many, heck, like I said I left for the pearl flip but I am back again. I love the big screen and the "click" (I am probably alone in this). Give it time, research, and take advantage of your warranty. Believe me, I wish Telus has Bell's warranty plan.
    10-18-09 07:44 PM
    Actually, I feel sorry for RIM's attempts at "standards" ... it's an uphill battle just keeping up with the increasingly lower cognitive capacity of the available user base.

Once again you don't seem to understand It is RIM's responsibilty to make a device any one can use hence the popularity of the iphone. I have no poblems understanding complex systems however I do belive a phone should be durable enough to withstand day to day operation.
    I have not abused any of my phones they were duds. I just am asking who else has had the same problems. Call it a research project which I excell at.
    As far as my expertise level many of my friends with BlackBerrys call me for advice. I do my research and I am impressed with the true capabilities of the phone I am just upset with the reliability
    10-22-09 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD