Hi. I have a BB Tour with Sprint and have successfully unlocked the SIM card. Las time I went to Mexico I was able to use the SIM card of Telcel, but with some little issues: I was only able to make calls to cell phones putting the 044 at the beginning of the number and I was not able to send SMS messages (I could reply a message if some "starts" the thread, but I couldn't "start an SMS conversation"). Anyone have seen these kind of issues? (in Mexico and/or any other part of the world with a local SIM). Also, anyone has any idea if the prepaid BB data service of Telcel (Amigo BB) works? Do I have to download a library service or something like that? Any help about this would be really appreciated.

Hola. Tengo un BB Tour con Sprint y tengo desbloqueado el SIM. La ultima vez que fui a Mexico, pude usar el SIM de Telcel con algunos problemitas: solo pude hacer llamadas si forzosamente anteponia el 044 cuando marcaba a un numero celular y nunca pude mandar mensajes SMS (si alguien me mandaba uno podia contestarlo, pero yo no podia "iniciar" una conversacion de SMS). Alguien tiene experiencia con estos detalles? (en Mexico y/o alguna otra parte del mundo con una SIM local). Alguien tiene experiencia contratando el servicio de datos de BB en prepago (Amigo BB)? Para que funcione, se tiene que bajar alguna libreria de servicio o algo parecido? Cualquier ayuda sobre esto se los agradeceria.
    10-14-09 09:58 AM
    Hi,
    Here is the deal.
    I have a TELUS Tour from Canada. Unlocked it for my two week trip here in mexico and stuck in my dads SIM card from TELCEL.
    It is an AMIGO prepaid cellphone SIM card and I did some research on the telus website and found out the 7 day, 15 days, 30 days data plans.
    So I put in $300 pesos which is like $20 american dollars.
    Your supposed to text BBI15 for the 15 day plan which gives you 200mb which is more than enough for 2 weeks data.
    So I did that and I have $350 left on my amigo credit and I have data and can make phone calls without any problem.

Its pretty easy to do.
    -UNLOCK
    -Buy AMIGO PREPAID CARD
    http://telcel.com/portal/telcel.port...lackberry.html

Check it out!
    Working great for me, although its only 2G.
    Phonecalls work great for me aswell.
    SMS too!
    10-14-09 12:23 PM
    Hi,
    Here is the deal.
    I have a TELUS Tour from Canada. Unlocked it for my two week trip here in mexico and stuck in my dads SIM card from TELCEL.
    It is an AMIGO prepaid cellphone SIM card and I did some research on the telus website and found out the 7 day, 15 days, 30 days data plans.
    So I put in $300 pesos which is like $20 american dollars.
    Your supposed to text BBI15 for the 15 day plan which gives you 200mb which is more than enough for 2 weeks data.
    So I did that and I have $350 left on my amigo credit and I have data and can make phone calls without any problem.

Its pretty easy to do.
    -UNLOCK
    -Buy AMIGO PREPAID CARD
    http://telcel.com/portal/telcel.port...lackberry.html

Check it out!
    Working great for me, although its only 2G.
    Phonecalls work great for me aswell.
    SMS too!
    Thanks for the info BRAVA27!!!
    Did you made any change on the configuration of the Tour? Did you need to do any kind of change to be able to call to a cell phone in Mexico just putting the 10 digit number (without the 044)? What about the SMS? Were you able to send SMS without issues? I was able to send them, but again only if that persons send me one first, so basically I was only able to reply SMS.

Let me know if you had to change anything on the configuration of your BB, so I can try the next time I am there.

Thanks
    10-15-09 11:00 AM
    If you're only going to Mexico for a couple weeks, call CS and get put on the international plan, much easier and not expensive. I just got back from a 2 week trip to Mexico and that's what I did...
    10-15-09 11:21 AM
    Try disabling smart dialing (phone button > menu button > options > smart dialing). Set the country code to unknown and that should do it. That used to happen to me. Doing this solved the problem
    03-30-10 12:07 PM
    Try disabling smart dialing (phone button > menu button > options > smart dialing). Set the country code to unknown and that should do it. That used to happen to me. Doing this solved the problem
    You are totally right!!! I found this as the solution by myself after checking the configuration options with more detail...but just for reference that is the actual work around...Thanks for you reply!!
    03-31-10 11:06 AM
    I have telcel on my unlocked tour when I travel to Mexico. I use an Amigo card and I can text no problems.
    04-01-10 02:15 AM
    Hi Everyone,

I have a blackberry Tour 9630 Unlocked from Sprint that i don't use.
    I used it 2 weeks ago in Mexico with an AT&T Prepaid SIM card for 25 cents a minute without any problem.

Now I have another trip next month and I'm going to stay there for 2 weeks so i need data and I'm thinking in getting a local SIM card from Telcel and getting their Blackberry plan for 15 days but here is the problem.

I tried using data here so i purchased a package with AT&T here but the data doesn't work, i called tech support and they were trying to help me but since is a CDMA/GSM phone they didn't have the instruction in how to enable the data.

Does anyone know if by inserting a Telcel SIM card in Mexico and purchasing a data pack it should work or they need to do any modifications to the phone.

Please tell me any experiences that you have with data either here with at&t or in another country. If i need to get a GSM only phone i will get it but i want to make sure and not just waste my money.

Thanks in advance.
    06-06-11 01:39 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I have a blackberry Tour 9630 Unlocked from Sprint that i don't use.
    I used it 2 weeks ago in Mexico with an AT&T Prepaid SIM card for 25 cents a minute without any problem.

Now I have another trip next month and I'm going to stay there for 2 weeks so i need data and I'm thinking in getting a local SIM card from Telcel and getting their Blackberry plan for 15 days but here is the problem.

I tried using data here so i purchased a package with AT&T here but the data doesn't work, i called tech support and they were trying to help me but since is a CDMA/GSM phone they didn't have the instruction in how to enable the data.

Does anyone know if by inserting a Telcel SIM card in Mexico and purchasing a data pack it should work or they need to do any modifications to the phone.

Please tell me any experiences that you have with data either here with at&t or in another country. If i need to get a GSM only phone i will get it but i want to make sure and not just waste my money.

Thanks in advance.
    hey..I am from Mexico and I live in the US now..however I trave A LOT back home to visit friends and family...anyway...the point is that yeah..you CAN user your Tour (and actually the Bold 9650 too) with a SIM card of Telcel and still have data with their prepaid plans...and it is pretty simple...

Once you activated the service (btw you can check how to do it in Telcel web site) through SMS and get a confirmation that the service has been activated....you just need to go to the Options Menu and I think is Advance Options (Route on OS 6 Options->Device->Advance System Settings) and look for the "Host Routing Table"....once there pull out the menu and select "Register now" this will register the device with the local carrier...in that case Telcel and send the service book to the device...one you get a confirmation that the device has been register (you should see a GSM routing list on the "Host Routing Table" instead of the CDMA) you should be able to access the BB MSN as a test...

Keep in mind that the phone NEEDS to be working already on the Telcel GSM network, you will NOT get 3G speeds and if you configure the emails (BB Account) you might have problems with the device if you are planning to register those email accounts again on the US carrier network (trust me, I had that experience)....however if you just need FB, BB MSN, etc...you will be fine...to check your email you will need to use the email provider web page or client (like GMail client for BB)

Hope this helped you...
    06-06-11 01:54 PM
    So just to make sure I entirely understand..

I have a blackberry curve 9300 with telus and am moving to Mexico. I have to get my blackberry unlocked and when I get to mexico I purchase a sim card from telcel and activate it. Does telcel have different plans? I went on their website but it is hard to understand because it was translated.... I mainly just want to use my phone for texting, and bbm if possible....
    07-27-11 11:15 AM
    So just to make sure I entirely understand..

I have a blackberry curve 9300 with telus and am moving to Mexico. I have to get my blackberry unlocked and when I get to mexico I purchase a sim card from telcel and activate it. Does telcel have different plans? I went on their website but it is hard to understand because it was translated.... I mainly just want to use my phone for texting, and bbm if possible....
    That is correct klcoleridge!!..so cool that you are moving to Mexico, I love my home country, hope you will like it too :-) ..so my answer is yes, just make COMPLETELY SURE that the phone is UNLOCKED (if you have issues with that, you can even do it while you are there hehe :-P ) and get a SIM card from TELCEL, any SIM should work.

About your questions about the plans that they have, sorry to hear that you are having issues looking the web page, but I can honestly tell you that the customer service from them sucks (no secret here, just being honest) however and unfortunately those guys have the best GSM network coverage over there, so I still will suggest you to stick with them.

They have a prepaid service for BB, that depending which you choose to pay will last for the days you are paying for and you can activate it using a SMS text message, here is the link:
    Telcel: Amigo BlackBerry

So for expample, once over there and the phone is working on their network, just send a SMS to the number 5050 with the text "BBI15" (without quotes) and you will get BB services (BIS Services: BB MSN,Hotmail MSN, FB,TWT,etc) for the next 15 days and it will cost you MX$299 (around USD$28) and this will also give you 1.5GB of internet service. BTW once you are able to make phone calls with the device you SHOULD be able to send SMS text message as well.

Also they have contract plans, which start from MX$399 (around US$38) by month, that is the cheapeast and I think (NOT SURE) that you will be forced to sign a contract for at least 12 moths, not sure again. If you are planning to move over there for more that 3 or 4 moths I will suggest you to go personally to one of their customer service centers (they have many around the contry and in major cities) and talk to one of the guys over there, if you are lucky you might find to talk to someone that will speak a little (or maybe very good) english and you will get a good deal over there. Give them a shot, you might find that they will be willing to speak you in English (since many people like to practice it over there) and you might get a very good service (not sure why, but we love foreing people )

Anyway, I am curious how the things will work out for you and hopefully this REALLY EXTENSIVE explanation would help you here. Good luck!! Have fun while you stay there and I really..REALLY hope you enjoy your stay :-)
    07-27-11 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD