New Canadian wireless provider WIND is planning on carrying the 9700...

MobileSyrup.com - Canadian Mobile Phone News & Reviews - Cell phones and Accessories

Some of the WIND information that has been leaked, has been fake.... but it would be nice for us Canadian consumers who have been paying Rogers, Bell and Telus insane amounts for smartphone plans to get another competitor in the market share.
    Last edited by Fubaz; 10-14-09 at 09:23 AM. Reason: ****
    10-14-09 09:19 AM
    Can't wait for Wind to launch as well but I really am considering the Nokia N900 over this BlackBerry
    10-14-09 02:51 PM
    Guys quick question.. so WIND will be a GSM carrier.. what about DAVE and Globalwireless? (I think that's the other one) Are those going to be CDMA or GSM carriers?
    10-15-09 01:01 PM
    This phone is now pretty much confirmed since this website works: WIND MOBILE

Guys quick question.. so WIND will be a GSM carrier.. what about DAVE and Globalwireless? (I think that's the other one) Are those going to be CDMA or GSM carriers?
    Globalive is WIND and DAVE Wireless will run on the same frequencies as WIND, 1700 and 2100.
    10-26-09 07:14 PM
    I'm specifically waiting for WIND to release details on their cell plans, and features before signing on to Rogers or Bell and getting the 9700. I dearly hope WIND doesn't take too much more time before announcing what their (overall) plans are.
    10-26-09 07:39 PM
    I doubt any new carriers will be CDMA, that stuff's for dinosaurs!
    10-26-09 07:55 PM
    I doubt any new carriers will be CDMA, that stuff's for dinosaurs!
    LOL @ dinosaurs!!!

10-26-09 08:14 PM
    WIND will be lucky if they get their licence any time soon. They have a big problem with the foreign ownership of the company.

And when WIND does get their licence and they are operating, do you really want to go with them? Do you guys know how many problems they will have as a new company with their new network and new employees? Same goes with all the other new entrants. Do you guys remember all the problems Rogers had when they switched to GSM? It was ****! I don't think I will even consider moving service providers until at least all the issues have been ironed out. Besides, I'm sure the big 3 will have lots of incentives to stay with them.
    10-26-09 08:27 PM
    WIND will be lucky if they get their licence any time soon. They have a big problem with the foreign ownership of the company.

And when WIND does get their licence and they are operating, do you really want to go with them? Do you guys know how many problems they will have as a new company with their new network and new employees? Same goes with all the other new entrants. Do you guys remember all the problems Rogers had when they switched to GSM? It was ****! I don't think I will even consider moving service providers until at least all the issues have been ironed out. Besides, I'm sure the big 3 will have lots of incentives to stay with them.
    I'f you stay with the Big three these new companies will fail and prices will rise again. I'm leaving Rogers no matter what. Where Wind doesn't have signal I will be roaming on Rogers.

My cell phone is the last think I have with Rogers and then I'm finished with them.
    10-26-09 10:51 PM

WIND is close to opening a store in both Toronto and Calgary, and have employees ready to work in the retail locations as well as customer service. I doubt they would put down all that money if they weren't confident the CRTC would let them begin operation. The fact that the CRTC has allowed them to progress this far speaks to what's to come IMO.
    10-26-09 10:57 PM
    I'f you stay with the Big three these new companies will fail and prices will rise again. I'm leaving Rogers no matter what. Where Wind doesn't have signal I will be roaming on Rogers.

My cell phone is the last think I have with Rogers and then I'm finished with them.
    Hear! Hear! My advice: get someone to take over your Rogers contract so you can switch to WIND stat. That's what I'm doing!

And whoever said the Big 3 will provide many incentives, the biggest one of all is good customer service, and they're definitely not going to change that when WIND comes.

Also, seeing windmobile.blackberry.com has given me extra hope that WIND will get by the extremely-biased CRTC on Thursday. *fingers crossed*
    10-27-09 01:21 AM
    Hear! Hear! My advice: get someone to take over your Rogers contract so you can switch to WIND stat. That's what I'm doing!

And whoever said the Big 3 will provide many incentives, the biggest one of all is good customer service, and they're definitely not going to change that when WIND comes.

Also, seeing windmobile.blackberry.com has given me extra hope that WIND will get by the extremely-biased CRTC on Thursday. *fingers crossed*
    The CRTC should approve them. Wind has invested to much money and has been hireing people in Canada. If the CRTC says no, it will look really bad on them as they would be talking jobs away.

2 more days to go until we know for sure what's going on.
    10-27-09 02:39 PM

WIND is Globalwireless
    10-27-09 07:09 PM
    "Some of the WIND information that has been leaked, has been fake"

Doesn't instill a lot of confidence... sounds shady in fact :|
    10-27-09 10:01 PM

All leaked info could be fake...I can't even count the number of dates Rogers is supposedly releasing the 9700!

And I'm pretty sure WIND will get the go-ahead...CRTC is clearly stepping out of line by not following in their superior (Industry Canada)'s footsteps. And WIND wouldn't continue training hundreds of people across the province and build flagship stores if they knew they could be shut down.

I'm pretty confident.

And @Tequila Addict, .
    10-27-09 10:51 PM

Some of the leaked info is fake. Like the leaked presentation back in May. The latest info is true though but not much has been released and just so you know even Wind admitted the info is true but just 100% accurate. BlackBerry Internet Service is real for sure.
    10-28-09 11:55 AM
    Tomorrow is the big day for WIND. They'll find out if the CRTC will allow them to begin operation despite the 65% foreign ownership.

This article give a nice overview of the company and the potential challenges it faces:

Globalive awaits CRTC decision on its ownership as new cellphone player
    10-28-09 11:41 PM
    Tomorrow is the big day for WIND. They'll find out if the CRTC will allow them to begin operation despite the 65% foreign ownership.

This article give a nice overview of the company and the potential challenges it faces:

Globalive awaits CRTC decision on its ownership as new cellphone player
    I'm very excited, can't wait to peace out of Rogers. Any idea what time the announcement will be made? I guess I'll be glued to my phone for updates. Six hours straight of class, here I come...not.
    10-29-09 02:15 AM
    A shocking and disgusting decision by the CRTC today. How much money did Rogers and Telus throw at them to keep WIND out of our country?

MobileSyrup.com - Canadian Mobile Phone News & Reviews - Cell phones and Accessories

WIND can still restructure, but those things take time. I was waiting to see what WIND would bring to the table before signing on with Bell or Rogers on a 3 year deal and getting the 9700. I guess the up side is I can get one from them next week.

Even if WIND still wants to fight this via appeals and such, it could be months (a year) before they get the green light. Too bad. And I feel bad for all the employees they hired. They could be out of work. Good job CRTC. Way to protect the big companies for legitimate competition.
    Last edited by SeriousBusiness; 10-29-09 at 04:41 PM.
    10-29-09 04:37 PM
    A shocking and disgusting decision by the CRTC today. How much money did Rogers and Telus throw at them to keep WIND out of our country?

That news article, and this one, are for GlobeAlive, not WIND... unless they are the same company... in which case, my mistake:

CBC News - Technology & Science - CRTC says no to Globalive, for now
    10-29-09 04:40 PM
    I'm upset they weren't approved. But from what I read 65% of the company is still foreign owned. I'm curious if they didn't bother looking for any Canadian investors or if no one stepped up to the plate that fit their bill. They spent alot of $$$ on access and knew +50% needs to be Canadian owned...
    10-29-09 04:49 PM
    I'm upset they weren't approved. But from what I read 65% of the company is still foreign owned. I'm curious if they didn't bother looking for any Canadian investors or if no one stepped up to the plate that fit their bill. They spent alot of $$$ on access and knew +50% needs to be Canadian owned...
    Well that's the thing. I don't know why they never tried to get the >50% CDN ownership. Maybe they figured since Industry Canada allowed it, the CRTC would as well.
    10-29-09 04:52 PM
    Hmmm... I think I'm gonna pass WIND, and see what the others are offering...

Sorry, just couldn't help myself
    10-29-09 05:01 PM
    It would have been nicer to see the CRTC accept Globalive's structure. Oh well, at least the national (not including Qu�bec, since they are the odd province that wants to be different because they feel entitled to so) market for cellular providers increase from 3 oligopolistic organizations to hopefully 5 in the near future if Globalive becomes viable soon.
    10-29-09 05:11 PM
    I heard a rumor a long time ago that they were gonna change the policy and allow US carriers to do business in Canada. What happened to that?
    10-29-09 05:34 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD