Hey all, still new to this site and to the blackberry in general.

Bought it from my Captain about a month or so ago, I've been running 4.5.0.77 since I got it because that's what was on it, is there any point in upgrading to anything but the leaked 5.0 (still hesistant to do that) or should I just keep running 4.5.0.77?

thanks in advance
    10-14-09 07:32 AM
    I'm going to be honest that's what I have been running since I got my phone even though there is updates, after reading these threads this OS seems to run so smooth. For example everyone is having problems running the new bb messenger and on this OS I haven't had any of them. If you do upgrade and don't like it just go back to the OS you had problem solved.
    10-14-09 08:02 AM
    I personally don't upgrade until there is an official release from my provider. While there are quite a few people on here running the leaked 5.0, I personally have no desire to try to upgrade and make it work, seems like too much of a pain for too little gain.
    10-14-09 08:05 AM
    I'm just to lazy to upgrade to others if my provider hasn't pushed it. The phone works fine, so what if I don't have 5.0 anything or 4.6 anything for that matter lol I just as soon buy a new phone when I can afford it.
    10-14-09 08:07 AM
    I would wait for an official release for 5.0, however I would definitley upgrade to a newer version of 4.5, The 4.5.0.77 you're running has many known bugs. You want to run at least 4.5.0.131 or higher...
    10-14-09 08:15 AM
    What known bugs are there? I honestly haven't noticed any.

And I don't plan on upgrading to 5.0 until it's official.
    10-14-09 08:17 AM
    4.5.0.77 was an awful version, IMO.

You would be better off upgrading to another version. BUT if the device is working and you aren't having problems and you like it the way that it is, then leave it the way that it is.

BTW, 5.0 rocks!! My File Free being lower than it was with the previous version is the only issue I have had with it. And even that hasn't caused any real problems.
    10-14-09 11:32 AM
    I'll wait until 5 is official. Without ready access to a computer, mine has to be stable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 12:27 PM
    The only issue i've had lately is having to do more battery pulls than normal while running app world or facebook.

the desktop mgr wont work on my computer (dont know why) could I take it to a store and have them do the upgrade?
    11-30-09 10:35 PM
    Personally, I love the hybrid 4.5/5.0 OS someone pointed me toward recently. The link was under a thread here somewhere. Anyway, all the perks of 5.0 but I've had none of the stability issues. If you're not big on messing with an unreleased OS, at least update to the newest official one. It helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-09 11:50 PM
    You are on Verizon, I suggest running v4.5.0.138. It is working solidly for me, and it's an official release. I haven't run into any bugs or issues with any apps (I do not have a lot of apps, though) or programs, and I have been running it for a couple of months now. No problems with the BB locking up either. I do the occasional battery pull just for the sake of keeping my BB running smoothly, though, but not for any other reason.
    12-01-09 02:37 AM
    Can I upgrade to v4.5.0.138 at a verizon store? my desktop manager wont work on my computer.
    12-01-09 08:17 AM
    Did you try to upgrade from your phone? Go to Options>Advanced Options>Wireless Update. Try that to see if it will let you update from there.
    12-01-09 12:10 PM
    yeah ive tried that and when i select check for upgrades it comes back with no upgrades available
    12-01-09 12:12 PM
    You should try and see if you can get your DM working on your computer because then, you will open up a whole new experience with your blackberry as you will be able to start backing up your phone as well as syncing your contacts, files, songs, pics and calendars with your computer.
    12-01-09 12:15 PM
    Did you get your DM from RIM or Verizon? I downloaded my DM straight from RIM to my computer. I have a MAC by the way.
    12-01-09 12:17 PM
    Right, whenever I try to load it it seems to pause at some point and never restart, can i get the upgrade from a store so i at least have that?
    12-01-09 12:18 PM
    im using the cd, my brother has a mac and i may just see if he'll dl it onto his computer
    12-01-09 12:22 PM
    Go to RIM (Smartphones, Cell Phones & Smart Phones at BlackBerry.com) and download the DM from there. It's a much better one. Your PC will be easier than the MAC to use with the device manager on RIM, as it works well with Internet Explorer.
    12-01-09 12:46 PM
    I use firefox, does that make a difference?
    12-01-09 12:47 PM
    It might prompt you to switch to Internet Explorer when you get to the download screen. Try and check, I'm not sure. Firefox is a much safer and better browser though. Hopefully, it will let you download from there.
    12-01-09 12:53 PM
    yeah, ill have to check tomorrow but thank you for your help
    12-01-09 12:57 PM
    After you download your OS, head over to BlackBerry - App World - Official Store for BlackBerry Apps and download that to your Curve and look for Blackberry Messenger 5.0. Download that and you'll be all set. The download to BM 5.0 takes a while, so do not turn your phone off or get impatient. Let it download until it's done, then it will replace your original BM and restart itself. Let it go through it's cycle and you'll be happy you did because everyone else who has a blackberry that you know can communicate through that and save on texts, and calls. Pictures and files can be sent through BM as well. And the 160 character limit does not apply. It's almost as if you have instant message with text combined in BM.... Good luck! Gotta get off this Crackberry site before I become an addict!
    12-01-09 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD