NY Times: "About 80 percent of R.I.M.�s sales this year have been to consumers, not to employers."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/te...rimm.html?_r=1

My question, did RIM drop the the ball by not seriously upgrading Storm2 with a ton more App Memory, a touch verision OS(to compete with Pre, Android & the Jesus Phone) that's a little more sexy, AND a GOOD Browser! They have to be nervous with VZN getting these new Android Phones. Don't get me wrong, I've Love my storm since Black Friday but I will be checking out the Android phones offered by VZN. Just a question?
    10-13-09 11:30 PM
    NY Times: "About 80 percent of R.I.M.�s sales this year have been to consumers, not to employers."

My question, did RIM drop the the ball by not seriously upgrading Storm2 with a ton more App Memory, a touch verision OS(to compete with Pre, Android & the Jesus Phone) that's a little more sexy, AND a GOOD Browser! They have to be nervous with VZN getting these new Android Phones. Don't get me wrong, I've Love my storm since Black Friday but I will be checking out the Android phones offered by VZN. Just a question?
    No, I dont think RIM screwed up with the Odin. Of course how would we know until it releases?
    10-13-09 11:31 PM
    Are you asking us to predict the future?
    10-13-09 11:31 PM
    Are you asking us to predict the future?
    No, just based on specs and what you already know about OS 5.0
    10-13-09 11:33 PM

One very simple reason, these things take time. I honestly think RIM under estimated their impact on the consumer market especially with last years and this years models. They are now trying to get the development ball rolling in terms of capturing and holding on to consumer mind share.
    10-13-09 11:39 PM
    I highly doubt that since the storm1 was a very buggy phone with the new storm2 should fixed the majority of the bugs the storm1 had.
    10-13-09 11:41 PM
    One very simple reason, these things take time. I honestly think RIM under estimated their impact on the consumer market especially with last years and this years models. They are now trying to get the development ball rolling in terms of capturing and holding on to consumer mind share.
    Agreed, but they need to open their eyes and realize that the consumer mark is were A LOT of the business market is headed!
    10-13-09 11:43 PM
    The only way RIM has screwed up with the Odin is by letting internet rumors get this far out of hand without coughing up some concrete information about the device. You can ignore a few freaks on CB.com, but this phone is now everywhere. And the only people who seem to be out of the loop are those at RIM.

Come on RIM, just put all of this stuff to bed already and show off your new device. You've worked so hard on it. Don't let become nothing more than internet fodder.
    10-13-09 11:43 PM
    I know Rim let that storm2 leash out ASAP
    10-13-09 11:47 PM
    They will do fine with the Storm.
    But the go around after this they better
    step the game way up.
    10-13-09 11:50 PM
    I guess one of my main point is that based on hardware specs of competitors being released shortly, storm2 is on the low end. And we all know that OS has needed a major overhaul for a while. I wasn't tempted by another device until a good competitor (android) came to verizon. BUT know there are options with Big Red.
    10-13-09 11:53 PM
    The only way RIM has screwed up with the Odin is by letting internet rumors get this far out of hand without coughing up some concrete information about the device. You can ignore a few freaks on CB.com, but this phone is now everywhere. And the only people who seem to be out of the loop are those at RIM.

Come on RIM, just put all of this stuff to bed already and show off your new device. You've worked so hard on it. Don't let become nothing more than internet fodder.
    That's what's so weird about the Odin. We could be possibly 10 days before release and RIM has yet to even announce the phone exists!
    10-13-09 11:53 PM
    That's what's so weird about the Odin. We could be possibly 10 days before release and RIM has yet to even announce the phone exists!
    I've never seen a phone launch like this before. Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention, but this is just odd. Now you have Verizon's CEO stating in a NYT's article that he's been using the device for a couple of weeks and still not a peep from RIM? What are they waiting for?
    10-13-09 11:59 PM
    You guys don't understand marketing do you? They are trying to create a viral marketing campaign. I am surprised you have not seen it. The forums are flaming hot and the internet is a buzz. With free marketing like this who needs to ramp up Verizon's advertising till it's really close?

Verizon is king at this buzz game!
    10-14-09 12:14 AM
    It's simple I believe. If Google somehow gets their hands on Apps..with their phone. RIM is gonna see a big loss of their new found customers from the past year. (A lot of people wanting to get Apps w/o getting the iPhone). But if not, they will be fine. If google does get Apps...they are going to have to do a rehaul on their OS (becuase comparitivly speaking...for eye-candy...it sucks Hense: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/why-...s-suck-337244/) to stay on top. That of course, is my opinion.
    10-14-09 12:16 AM
    I am a developer and the reason we don't see allot more apps is the designer or lack there of.

Most developers don't know what they are doing and they require a designer to layout UI logic. Apple and I believe Google have that.

RIM would be wise to come up with a designer that can at least allow you to throw bitmaps on buttons and stuff like that. The programming interface in Google is Java. So, you know it's not because it's Java. It's the lack of designer.

The big apps don't use designers, but if you want 80,000 crappy apps you need a WYSIWYG designer for the UI.
    10-14-09 12:16 AM
    It's simple I believe. If Google somehow gets their hands on Apps..with their phone. RIM is gonna see a big loss of their new found customers from the past year. (A lot of people wanting to get Apps w/o getting the iPhone). But if not, they will be fine. If google does get Apps...they are going to have to do a rehaul on their OS (becuase comparitivly speaking...for eye-candy...it sucks Hense: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/why-...s-suck-337244/) to stay on top. That of course, is my opinion.
    Well stated. This was my reason for starting this thread. I use my BB for 90% business but wouldn't recommend it for most of my friends and family because they they wouldn't understand the lack of memory and SEVERE memory leak that results in a daily bat pull which causes the slow OS performance.
    10-14-09 12:27 AM
    I don't have any memory leaks or lack of memory for most normal use cases. My main complaint is that we lack memory if we want to see some really stunning media / games. That's why RIM need to expand the memory. I would concede that.
    10-14-09 12:32 AM
    I don't have any memory leaks or lack of memory for most normal use cases. My main complaint is that we lack memory if we want to see some really stunning media / games. That's why RIM need to expand the memory. I would concede that.
    Agreed!! especially for the consumer market who doesn't understand memory and functionality of the device!!
    10-14-09 12:34 AM
    If it wasn't for Salomondrin I wouldn't know anything concrete about this device. And that is against RIM's best efforts in keeping that info away from the public. Storm2 looks like it has the hardware that S1 should have launched with which is very nice. That being said, we are still dealing with an inferior UI which becomes more glaring every time another Android device hits.

My Storm1 experience has lead me to the point where I am almost done with BB. Seeing the possibilities in Android and WebOS make me want a more progressive device. Storm2 and the 9700 may be the very best RIM has ever offered, but this standard that they have perfected is now 2 or 3 years old.

Almost any smartphone integrates email, calendar, exchange, blah blah blah as well as blackberry now. But Apple, Android, and Palm now blow RIM out of the water in regards to social media integration and web browsing. It's a no brainer, RIM is behind the 8ball.
    10-14-09 12:36 AM
    You guys don't understand marketing do you? They are trying to create a viral marketing campaign. I am surprised you have not seen it. The forums are flaming hot and the internet is a buzz. With free marketing like this who needs to ramp up Verizon's advertising till it's really close?

Viral campaigns only work with a somewhat dedicated fan base. Most of the buzz for the S2 in on this very forum. I spoke with a S1 owner who didn't even know the Odin existed until i told him. In this case a viral marketing strategy make absolutely no sense.
    10-14-09 12:37 AM

Viral marketing campaign my ***. All marketing campaigns need some type of direction. What you have with the S2 is NOTHING more than rampant rumors and unanswered smears of a yet-to-be released device without anyone putting out any type of official information to at least knock out some of the most egregious nonsense. Like I said, if it was just a couple of us on CB, fine just ignore it. But if you do a Google search for the S1 (not the S2) most of the top results are all about the S2, and some of them are even bad reviews of pre-release devices. The first exposure most potential buyers are going to be getting will be rumors and pre-release device reviews slamming it for poor quality and buggy software.

Yeah, I bet Verizon is just loving that kind of buzz.

It's not even that Verizon needs to advertise the device; it's just that someone needs to put out some official information on the device so people aren't relying on rumors only.
    Last edited by Dsmithjr; 10-14-09 at 12:41 AM.
    10-14-09 12:37 AM

Almost any smartphone integrates email, calendar, exchange, blah blah blah as well as blackberry now. But Apple, Android, and Palm now blow RIM out of the water in regards to social media integration and web browsing. It's a no brainer, RIM is behind the 8ball.
    I disagree with you on almost all counts. Their social media integration and email are top notch. Their UI is elegant and simple if not stunning. Web Browsing is their biggest problem right now. That's why they bought Torch Mobile.
    10-14-09 12:40 AM
    What bad reviews are you talking about?
    10-14-09 12:41 AM
    I guess one of my main point is that based on hardware specs of competitors being released shortly, storm2 is on the low end. And we all know that OS has needed a major overhaul for a while. I wasn't tempted by another device until a good competitor (android) came to verizon. BUT know there are options with Big Red.
    OK first off the hardware in Odin is down right revolutionary. No one has ever done a display like this before. Granted I wish it was a bit higher resolution but a side from that no one has ever done the tech behind this on a phone before. IE: Screen is solid until you run a electrical current through it then it can "click" and move. It down right pis*ses on the iPhones display. As with the Storm 1 it also has multi-touch - not heavily used however.

Next. The CPU is one of the most powerful CDMA processors on the planet. Spec wise it even beats out a PSP in 3D graphics with full open gl support. The issue with this is the fact that RIM has not given out an API to actually harness the processor at it's true potential. But the hardware is there none the less. Also the DAC and processor capabilities are also very good for music and videos.

As for memory leaks OS 5 has helped this by leaps and bounds - and we don't even have a release of it yet - outside of leaks that is. Also you should check out Sal's newest video with a branded VZW Storm 2 with the current 5x OS in testing. It has litteraly made the camera lag and display lag a thing of the past. OS 5 is a very solid OS with one flaw. A sucky browser. With the upcoming browsers that are on the near horizon this will be remedied.

Next... 256MB of App memory (NOT RAM and NOT mass storage memory) is more than enough for a BlackBerry as most App's are not that big. Find someone with a Tour who's used it all and report back. The device has 256MB of RAM as well. Storm 1 had 128MB of App memory and 192MB of RAM with 1GB of mass storage memory. Storm 2 has 256MB of App memory, 256MB of RAM and 2GB of mass storage memory. All the latest and greatest (including all HTC's WinMo phones) have 256MB of RAM. most also have 256MB of App memory as well (a couple have 512MB of App memory).

Saying the phone is a screw up is just plain ******** as it's not even released yet. And all the leaked videos (even those with the very early hardware and OS) have received a LOT of praise.
    10-14-09 12:51 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD