Are there any recent discussion on this?

Do we have any clue as to when or what device will include an LTE chip?

Will it be a cross carrier blackberry?
    10-13-09 05:07 PM
    their main concern is covering carriers HSPA needs first, then by 2011 i think we should see some LTE devices.

this is just my opinion.... please correct me if I am wrong
    10-13-09 10:17 PM
    havent heard anything
    10-14-09 04:17 AM
    anybody know if a cdma or gsm lte device will drop first? i'm guessing gsm?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-09 10:35 PM
    I thought I read somewhere when the iphone hits Verizon it will be Lte. All Lte devices will have Sim cards.
    10-15-09 06:44 AM
    Wont LTE make Verizon and AT&T phones interchangable?
    10-16-09 10:37 AM
    The LTE standard will make it technically possible for users to roam between networks however with competition so strong both companies are likely to block that as they generally don't sign roaming agreements with each other.

But since both companies will be using LTE and both use 850 and 1900 mhz bands it will be possible.

The first LTE blackberry I would not expect to see before 2012 simply because the LTE networks will not be covering a sizable portion of the population until at least then and maybe later...

The next challenges will be HSPA+ with speeds going towards 20+mbps

PG
    10-16-09 10:49 AM
    Fcc mandated roaming on like systems where you carrier does not have spectrum. Although they only require voice roaming most offer data roaming since there required voice. This will be the same for LTE

10-16-09 11:08 AM
    i think the LTE band (verizon) is 700 mhz. i could be wrong though.
    10-16-09 12:44 PM
    Fcc mandated roaming on like systems where you carrier does not have spectrum. Although they only require voice roaming most offer data roaming since there required voice. This will be the same for LTE

Actually that's not entirely correct. They have to allow 911 calls only not any voice calls.

PG
    10-17-09 06:03 PM
    I hope my curve would stay strong till then.

I wonder if prices of smartphones are like those of computers in the last 10 years, getting cheaper and cheaper by the year.
    10-19-09 05:09 PM
    well verizon is ganna be first to release there LTE network they claim to be in 2010 and yes its true they did purchase the majority of the 700MHz block
    10-19-09 09:10 PM
    Just read the Mashable article on the iPhone going LTE for Verizon
    10-19-09 09:12 PM
    well verizon is ganna be first to release there LTE network they claim to be in 2010 and yes its true they did purchase the majority of the 700MHz block
    Proof of such matter? LTE wont be here till another 3 - 4 yrs dude
    10-20-09 04:37 PM
    Any update on an LTE blackberry device in the works?

Has it been confirmed that the Storm3 is a LTE device?
    01-22-10 08:34 AM
    Proof of such matter? LTE wont be here till another 3 - 4 yrs dude
    Go to VZW site. I know a project manager working on LTE for VZW. They will be rolled out in Boston and Seattle by Spring. Plan is for at least 30 markets nation wide by end of 2010 and he says they are on track for that.

VZW I phone should drop in June, but will be 3G. Next one will be 4G.

The S3 is LTE and will drop in the late fall, most likely 1 year after S2. By then VZW should have LTE coverage in most major markets.

Ev Do will be in place for some time. LTE devices will have to be able to run on Ev Do when not in LTE markets. So don't worry about your current devices being obsolete.

For the poster asking if CDMA or GSM would be LTE you have to understand it is a whole different technology. Basically Sprint is using WiMax for 4G and T mobile, AT&T, and VZW as well as most other carriers are going LTE. VZW is the earliest in North America and seems to be the furthest long.

Probably won't see widespread LTE devices until 2011-2012, but it does seem like S3 will be late 2010 and is the first one I have heard will drop.

01-23-10 07:44 AM
    Rumors have been that Storm3 may roll with the ability to access LTE networks. No confirmation on that. If not, we won't see this technology until OS 6.
    01-23-10 10:27 AM
    Rumors have been that Storm3 may roll with the ability to access LTE networks. No confirmation on that. If not, we won't see this technology until OS 6.
    What makes you think LTE would be linked to OS 6?

01-23-10 12:42 PM
    The first LTE blackberry will be the Blackberry Storm 3 if all goes as planned.
    01-27-10 11:40 AM
    it took RIM ages to release a 3G BB.... no reason to think they'll be any quicker to market with an LTE device....
    02-02-10 02:20 PM
    it took RIM ages to release a 3G BB.... no reason to think they'll be any quicker to market with an LTE device....
    True, but at this early stage many different sources have said that S3 has an LTE radio.
    02-02-10 02:24 PM
    the S3 is still just a myth at this point.... until it releases, it's all moot...
    02-02-10 03:56 PM
    I don't know about a myth. Seems plain to me that something is coming. Guess it is about as mythic as the Storm was 2 years ago and the storm 2 was 1 year ago.

02-02-10 06:56 PM
    touche. besides, i dont think very many cities will have 4g yet anyways
    02-03-10 01:41 AM
    well Japan just came out with the first approved LTE device... so that should mean we'll see an LTE BB around, oh, 2014...

Japan certifies its first LTE device, LG says 'whoa, ours?' -- Engadget
    02-03-10 07:13 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD