I got to play with a 9700 today, and do a little comparison to my current phone, the 8900.

Here are some things that left an impression on me.

Trackpad: I found the scrolling not as smooth vs a properly functioning trackball. Not sure if I just wasn't used to it, or what. It also seemed like my thumb stuck to it kind of. Hard to describe, but sliding your thumb over the pad doesn't seem to create a very fluid movement. I also found it harder for web browsing, it didn't seem as accurate to me. Perhaps it's user error. On the up side, no more stuck trackballs.

Keyboard: I have 8900, and the keys on the 9700 didn't seem to offer as much positive input as my current phone. They weren't as mushy feeling as the Bold 9000, but I really couldn't feel the same positive response as the 8900 provides when typing. I wish the device as a whole was just a tad bigger, it would make it more comfortable to type on.

Honestly, the phone feels like a 8900 with a different keyboard and trackpad. Not bad, but it got me wondering something. Since T-mobile doesn't offer 3G here (and in many areas), is it really worth the upgrade? I'm honestly starting to think it probably isn't.

The one positive, the battery cover in the 9700 is far superior to the 8900. Locks on there tight, no play at all, and doesn't look as cheap. The negative, it seems to add some thickness over the 8900.

As always, YMMV.

10-13-09 02:02 PM
    for some its a must have cause will its crack...for me its finally a 3g on tmo
    10-13-09 02:33 PM
    Thanks for the impressions! A couple questions:

1. Disregarding the thicker battery cover (or more precisely, the raised leather backing) is the 9700 otherwise the same dimensions of the 8900?

2. Is the 9700 noticeably heavier than the 8900?
    10-13-09 03:06 PM
    Thanks for the impressions! A couple questions:

1. Disregarding the thicker battery cover (or more precisely, the raised leather backing) is the 9700 otherwise the same dimensions of the 8900?

2. Is the 9700 noticeably heavier than the 8900?
    1. Dimensions appear the same to me, minus the battery cover.

2. Yes, it's heavier. It's not a brick, but it does feel a little bit heavier than the 8900 does.
    10-13-09 03:09 PM
    So, how was the overall browsing experience with the trackpad? I played with a Curve 8520 in the T-Mobile store the other day and thought that the trackball was pretty cool. The data was not hooked up, so I could not play with the browser. Any improvements to the browser?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 03:15 PM
    A positive set of first impressions. Thanks.

I used an 8520 at the weekend and found the trackpad to work quite well. I'd like it for a week before I commit though.
    10-13-09 03:40 PM
    So, how was the overall browsing experience with the trackpad? I played with a Curve 8520 in the T-Mobile store the other day and thought that the trackball was pretty cool. The data was not hooked up, so I could not play with the browser. Any improvements to the browser?

Not any major improvments to the browser that I noticed. The trackpad was harder to get lined up for clicking on links. At least for me it was. Perhaps I just wasn't used it to. It was faster to navigate around than the trackball is, but wasn't as accurate for clicking on small objects or as smooth operating.

I was wondering also, if the trackpad fails, will it be replaceable like the trackball? I can't imagine that being a cheap replacement part, where as you can get a trackball for $5-$10, even if you need to take the phone apart.

It was on OS 5.0, so it quite zippy otherwise. I didn't see any major issues with it, but I only had about 30 minutes to play with it.
    10-13-09 03:49 PM
    Not any major improvments to the browser that I noticed. The trackpad was harder to get lined up for clicking on links. At least for me it was. Perhaps I just wasn't used it to. It was faster to navigate around than the trackball is, but wasn't as accurate for clicking on small objects or as smooth operating.

I was wondering also, if the trackpad fails, will it be replaceable like the trackball? I can't imagine that being a cheap replacement part, where as you can get a trackball for $5-$10, even if you need to take the phone apart.

It was on OS 5.0, so it quite zippy otherwise. I didn't see any major issues with it, but I only had about 30 minutes to play with it.
    The trackpad and the trackball are for sure, not interchangable.
    10-13-09 03:51 PM
    The trackpad and the trackball are for sure, not interchangable.
    Oh I know that.

I was simply wondering if the trackpad will be a part you can replace yourself, like the the trackball currently is. I could see the trackpad being much more expensive.
    10-13-09 03:53 PM
    I don't think it will be much expensive, but I do have a feeling its going to be a bit harder to replace lol (if it can be replaced)
    10-13-09 04:02 PM
    I doubt it would fail however, I never had one fail on any laptop I ever owned, and it has no moving parts.

Isn't it part of the keyboard ?
    10-14-09 12:23 PM
    Great initial review. Thanks.

10-14-09 11:16 PM
    This may seem like a dumb question but is the trackpad solid or does it move up-down-right-left if you push down on it?

10-14-09 11:55 PM
    This may seem like a dumb question but is the trackpad solid or does it move up-down-right-left if you push down on it?

It only pushes inwards (in one direction) when you click it.. just like the trackball. It's how you click on an item.

To scroll through things you just move your finger over it like "trackpad" on a laptop.

You know what I mean? lol
    10-15-09 12:02 AM
    I heard that it may be a little sensitive, like when you're scrolling with it, you may have a tendency to "click" it and it selects something by accident. Did you notice this?
    10-15-09 05:37 PM
    I heard that it may be a little sensitive, like when you're scrolling with it, you may have a tendency to "click" it and it selects something by accident. Did you notice this?
    This is somewhat true at least on the test model that was release to AT&T a little over two months ago.

As for the trackpad as a whole. It takes a little getting used to. I went from my 9000 to the 9700 and it seemed overly sensitive for the first few days. Normal blackberry users shouldn't have trouble adapting to it in a couple days time. The keyboard was a bit cramped for me in the beginning but I got used to that with time as well.

I have put my 9000 away and won't be giving up my 9700 until Magnum/Dakota comes early next year.

PG
    10-15-09 07:05 PM
    Hey PG,
    define early next year first quarter, second quarter?
    10-15-09 07:11 PM
    I am glad that you can get used to the cramped keyboard. I played with a Tour in the VZ wireless store this past weekend. I think it has a similar keyboard and keys like the 9700. A little cramped, but I only played with it for a few minutes.

This is somewhat true at least on the test model that was release to AT&T a little over two months ago.

As for the trackpad as a whole. It takes a little getting used to. I went from my 9000 to the 9700 and it seemed overly sensitive for the first few days. Normal blackberry users shouldn't have trouble adapting to it in a couple days time. The keyboard was a bit cramped for me in the beginning but I got used to that with time as well.

I have put my 9000 away and won't be giving up my 9700 until Magnum/Dakota comes early next year.

PG
    10-15-09 07:16 PM
    Brad - I am also on Cincy Bell.

I believe CBW's 3g band is the same as T-Mobile's, so if we were to get an unlocked T-Mobile 9700, shouldn't we be able to use our CBW SIM cards and use CBW 3g?

We would only have 3g in our local area, but that's better than nothing. And we would still have access to CBW local and ATT's national EDGE network.
    10-15-09 07:52 PM
    The keyboard probably didn't feel right because your not used to the small keyboard, it took me so long to adjust to the tour but now I love the keyboard. Also have you ever tried out the 8520s trackpad, if so did u have the same problems with it or is it just the 9700. Thanks for the great review.

10-15-09 08:48 PM
    I used a Pearl for almost 2 1/2 years. I was so used to the small keyboard (large keys), but SureType keyboards are different animals.

I did try out the trackpad on the 8520 in a T-Mobile store. I got used to that pretty quickly. Data was off, so I did not get a chance to use the browser though.

The keyboard probably didn't feel right because your not used to the small keyboard, it took me so long to adjust to the tour but now I love the keyboard. Also have you ever tried out the 8520s trackpad, if so did u have the same problems with it or is it just the 9700. Thanks for the great review.

10-16-09 12:48 AM
    yeah i tried the 8520 for the first time today and the pad seemed like was difficult to select items i wanted to select.. too sensitive when im trying to stop and select something but too slow when im trying to move around the menus compared to the ball
    10-17-09 01:52 AM
    Sensitivity of the trackpad can be changed on the 8520.
    10-17-09 02:01 AM
    A positive set of first impressions. Thanks.

I used an 8520 at the weekend and found the trackpad to work quite well. I'd like it for a week before I commit though.
    I agree the trackpad does work well. I actually own an 8520 and love it compared to the 8900. The 8900 trackball in due time will not work properly.
    10-17-09 07:53 AM
    Like some, I'm not sure now that there's any benefit to me upgrading from an 8900. They sound very similar and the 3G does nothing for me where I am. I might have actually considered it had it been more like the original Bold in size. I like everything about my 8900 although maybe the keyboard could have been a tiny bit bigger. If the 9700 is about the size of my 8900, I can't see much point in upgrading. That said, what's next on the table for T-Mobile
    10-19-09 11:56 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD