Ok, I want to start off by saying I'm not racist, I'm not trying to discriminate, etc.. I might as well throw that out before I get started.

To start off, I'm a Junior at my current college, and graduated with an associates degree (Yeah, yeah, nothing special. But I paid a lot of money for it. I throw it out there) prior to going to this school. So dealing with other students generally isn't a problem, and they are usually understanding if their actions are affecting your performance in class. Most times I have a problem with another student in class when they talk, disruptive, whatever, I can usually move, or I ask them to simply stop.

In my particular astronomy class, which happens to have every seat full, I got stuck by these two freshman Asian girls, who's English is poor at best. I'm not trying to be rude since they don't know English well, they chatter in their native language, which after 4 hours, sounds like pots and pans banging together. The first few weeks of class I, as well as the people sitting around them, assumed they were trying to help each other understand the class, since their English wasn't great. I tried to study extra out of class to make up for what I missed, but with 16 credit hours total, it makes it challenging to have much of a life. I would contact my professor over it, but she allows them to "Aid" each other on quizzes. How do I know? Because I had to listen to their annoying voices the entire time I'm trying to focus on taking my own quiz as the professor walks by.

After a few weeks of having to fight to hear over them, I tried to move, but no open seats. Their "discussions" about class are far from class related. I don't know their language, but from the constant laughing, laying down, giggling, I'm pretty sure they are not talking about the lecture at all. I'm thinking they use their anime branded PDA and Hello Kitty Translator for that..

I wrote down a Giant "SHHHH" On a piece of paper and put it right in front of them, and they looked at me like I was stupid. I did the international finger to the mouth to shut up, and they ignored me. I'm taking this up a notch.

I don't know much about Asian Languages, but they use the weird symbols. I'm thinking get "Shut the F*** Up" on a full piece of computer paper in every language using symbols and use them as flash cards until I get a reaction that involves their mouths not moving. I know Japan and China use's different symbols, but that's about it.

Does anyone know what languages use the symbols?

Any ideas to shut them up so I concentrate on my class? This is coming out of my pocket, so If I fail a class, it better be because I couldn't handle it, and not because of someone else talking.
    Last edited by Timsterpeck; 10-13-09 at 03:06 AM.
    10-13-09 03:04 AM
    Cool story bro.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 03:08 AM
    I agree, for a start i aint racist etc either but if there going to take an english class then surely they should speak english...

My last company had several french colleagues and the management told them they were only allowed to speak french to french users and not each other...

And the fact that you paid to be in that class and there effing it up for you, that would annoy the f*** outta me to a point where i'd stand up in the middle of the class an tell em to shut the f*** up lol...
    10-13-09 03:24 AM
    Talk to your professor; it's her responsibility to ensure everybody can concentrate in class. If she doesn't act, escalate it (not Columbine style; I mean, talk to her superior).

10-13-09 05:57 AM
    Talk to your professor; it's her responsibility to ensure everybody can concentrate in class. If she doesn't act, escalate it (not Columbine style; I mean, talk to her superior).

I'd say.. drop by to your professors office hours... let her/him know what's going on and how it is affecting you in class.. it is still early and the semester and whatever you have missed you for sure can catch up with... be prompt and don't let this be a hurdle in your grades!! Astronomy is fascinating too.. so I hope you actually learn something!
    10-13-09 12:00 PM
    Cool story bro.

Wasn't meant to be a story. I'm trying to get an outside idea on how to handle them without blowing up and doing something stupid.
    10-13-09 12:19 PM
    Are they hot?
    10-13-09 12:24 PM
    Ill drop by the professor during office hours and see about getting something done. I haven missed anything in homework since its mainly papers. I just miss out on important lecture notes for the quizzes.. I'd rather talk to them and deal with it civilly instead of asking the professor to intervein though.
    10-13-09 12:27 PM
    Oh god i love when this **** happens. Im not even gonna lie, i straight acted like a jackass when this guy would not shut the **** up in my programming class last semester. I just put it out there and everyone who sat next to him was happy i finally said something.

When you pay money for your class it takes a different perspective and i cant tolerate peoples phones buzzing on desk or any other annoying **** when it becomes habitual over accidental.

Personally id take the ******* approach and just keep shushing them until they stopped or atleast pipped down quite a bit. Or you can take it to the professor or go over his head. When someone causes interference with your education gives you the right to act.

Oh and to answer your question, off the top of my head, Hangul is Korean, Kanji is for Chinese (and Japanese), Hiragana/Katakana is Japanese, and Quoc Ngu is viet, and Lao people have some kinda **** that looks like arabic almost.
    10-13-09 12:27 PM
    You are definitely a racist.

I get it. You have a problem with 2 loud-mouth disrespectful students that disrupting your class and hurting your grade. That's all you need to say. Why bring up Asians, girls, weir writing, paying a lot of money, etc. .

You have disrespectful people at restaurant, subway, etc talking loud on the phone, tossing trash. They come in all ages, size, and colors.

10-13-09 12:33 PM
    Ill drop by the professor during office hours and see about getting something done. I haven missed anything in homework since its mainly papers. I just miss out on important lecture notes for the quizzes.. I'd rather talk to them and deal with it civilly instead of asking the professor to intervein though.
    Well... I know what you mean by wanting to take matters in your own hands, but it sounds to me like you already tried to tell them to be quiet nicely, and they're just not doing it... so I would make the professor interviene! that's just me!
    10-13-09 01:08 PM

I get it. You have a problem with 2 loud-mouth disrespectful students that disrupting your class and hurting your grade. That's all you need to say. Why bring up Asians, girls, weir writing, paying a lot of money, etc. .

You have disrespectful people at restaurant, subway, etc talking loud on the phone, tossing trash. They come in all ages, size, and colors.

You must not have passed basic reading comprehension. Reread post then try again as to why he was asking for people who know asian symbols cause their *gasp* ASIAN.

Did i just blow your mind? Yeah that just happened.
    10-13-09 01:47 PM
    If your professor won't help, take it to the chair of the astronomy dept.

10-13-09 01:54 PM
    Is it still too late to drop on request and still get your money back? You can retake the class again. I've dropped before for the same reason, people talking behind me constantly everyday. I was still in the time period that I could get my refund.

10-13-09 02:17 PM
    You must not have passed basic reading comprehension. Reread post then try again as to why he was asking for people who know asian symbols cause their *gasp* ASIAN.

Did i just blow your mind? Yeah that just happened.
    No, that adds no value to his story. They talk behind his back, etc, etc. That's what disrepectful do and it's wrong.

There is no difference than teenagers using high frequency ring tones so the teachers cannot hear the tones, which allows them to text in class. That's the nature of the act, not the person.
    10-13-09 02:33 PM
    Oh god i love when this **** happens. Im not even gonna lie, i straight acted like a jackass when this guy would not shut the **** up in my programming class last semester. I just put it out there and everyone who sat next to him was happy i finally said something.

When you pay money for your class it takes a different perspective and i cant tolerate peoples phones buzzing on desk or any other annoying **** when it becomes habitual over accidental.

Personally id take the ******* approach and just keep shushing them until they stopped or atleast pipped down quite a bit. Or you can take it to the professor or go over his head. When someone causes interference with your education gives you the right to act.
    Did your post blow your own mind?

You perfectly described your problems and shared how you handled the situation. And you did it without mentioning, the race, size, color, age, etc of the jackasses.
    10-13-09 02:38 PM
    Are they hot?
    Sadly, No. Far from it. Although where I party, you will find some jaw droppers.

Its racist I have a problem with Foreign exchange students that come to America to study who barely understand our language? Every other Foreign exchange friend I've had knew a basic comprehension of English.

Bring up Asian - So everyone has an idea on a country I'm trying to get a language on.
    Girls - Everyone knows what two girls sound like chattering away. Can be glass shattering.
    Their Writing - Using Symbols? Seriously? Come on now. Re-read. I'm trying to write the same message in their language. They don't seem to like English.
    Paying a lot of money - How is that racist? And Everyone knows college is expensive. Looks like someone's funny bone is broken.

If you still think I'm racist, then Yup, I am.

Is it still too late to drop on request and still get your money back? You can retake the class again. I've dropped before for the same reason, people talking behind me constantly everyday. I was still in the time period that I could get my refund.

Its to late to drop with a full refund. I'm just getting to Mid-Terms.

Oh and to answer your question, off the top of my head, Hangul is Korean, Kanji is for Chinese (and Japanese), Hiragana/Katakana is Japanese, and Quoc Ngu is viet, and Lao people have some kinda **** that looks like arabic almost.
    Thanks for the list.. The Graphics department is gonna look at me weird when they print and laminate copies of these... People that sit around them all want a copy. I think it'll be more fun.
    10-13-09 05:51 PM
    Its racist I have a problem with Foreign exchange students that come to America to study who barely understand our language? Every other Foreign exchange friend I've had knew a basic comprehension of English.
    Bring up Asian - So everyone has an idea on a country I'm trying to get a language on.
    Girls - Everyone knows what two girls sound like chattering away. Can be glass shattering.
    Their Writing - Using Symbols? Seriously? Come on now. Re-read. I'm trying to write the same message in their language. They don't seem to like English.
    Paying a lot of money - How is that racist? And Everyone knows college is expensive. Looks like someone's funny bone is broken.

If you still think I'm racist, then Yup, I am.
    There is nothing wrong with being a racist. At least you know who you really are.
    Last edited by leskchan; 10-13-09 at 06:11 PM.
    10-13-09 06:05 PM

he's not being racist......except for the hello kitty part... which is really more stereotypical than it is racist. And he's paying a lot of money for a class that is very important and he doesn't need these two girls ******* it up... i don't care what ethnicity you are, if you're costing someone money and time, you really should **** off.
    10-13-09 07:16 PM
    ... i don't care what ethnicity you are, if you're costing someone money and time, you really should **** off.
    Exactly. Everthing else is just to inflame his story.

10-13-09 07:21 PM
    A thread like this could go on forever, you might as well be talking about religion. No one will agree...
    10-13-09 07:24 PM
    still, the hello kitty part DID help me with a visual... either way, find all the different asian languages you can, and write "shut your ******* mouth" on the paper in every language... should do the trick
    10-13-09 07:26 PM
    A thread like this could go on forever, you might as well be talking about religion. No one will agree...
    everyone agrees with Christianity! EVERYONE! or else...

[smirk]
    10-13-09 07:27 PM
    I love this...

I'm not racist but....

then the pots and pans comment...

You're killing me squrtile. I mean you do know that's the base of like...a million racist jokes right?

XFD.
    10-13-09 08:03 PM
    There is nothing wrong with being a racist. At least you know who you really are.
    Why do people have to throw out the race card? The last though to go through my mind would be racism. The guy was making a detailed story to put things into perspective posed by the language barrier, making it difficult for him to come to a resolution to his problem. This hardly makes him a racist and for you to come on the internet and accuse someone whom you don't know, of being a racist is simply appalling. I think your making an assumption of the race of the OP and perhaps it is YOU who are the racist, otherwise I think you owe OP an apology.

Last edited by chuckz28; 10-13-09 at 08:26 PM.
    10-13-09 08:23 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD