So here's the latest firmware for the BlackBerry Storm2 9550 (little newer than what sal is running in his latest video).

It's running great - the last couple of firmware builds I've run on the 9550 have been super smooth in my opinion, but this latest one features something I've never seen before on the about screen.

Insecure Device?? This banner runs across the top of the About screen. Have you guys ever seen this before? Have I just never seen/heard about this or is it new? What does it mean? Is this RIM's latest way to let people know they have a non-commercially purchased device? Or is there something about the hardware/software itself that means "not official" (as in it's not an OS build released by a carrier?). With so mean leaks and unofficial firmware versions floating around, I could see RIM tagging the non-official builds with something like this, or putting something into the software that checks the hardware for build dates/cprs?? But I just don't know what this is for or if that's what it means at all.

Any thoughts? Really curious to know!
    10-12-09 04:16 PM
    I don't think anyone's seen that before... weird. Glad to know the OS is being updated again and further improved, and that improvements are being made. We don't really want to be moving backward at this point

If you were a paranoid you might think it's RIM's way of tagging you so they can track you via GPS and come get you in the middle of the night...

Also, how do you get updated software for not-yet-released phones?
    10-12-09 04:27 PM
    Insecure Device means it's not too sure if it'll work well or not.

Oh, what I wouldn't do for that OS for the S1.
    10-12-09 04:30 PM
    maybe it has something to do with being a pre release?
    10-12-09 04:30 PM
    I have never seen that before! I must agree with the above post, its probably a way that RIM is now able to see when a OS is leaked and they just want you to know that they know!!

Obviously they don't mind too much if that is that case- cause you are still able to use it

ah I love RIM
    10-12-09 04:31 PM
    It might mean that the check for signed applications has been turned off. Is your phone running on a RIM Engineering vendor ID?
    10-12-09 04:31 PM
    What if "Insecure Device" means that the security signature checking is turned off. So... think of this device as one closer to the Emulator software... since we know the Java files on the emulator aren't signed.
    10-12-09 04:32 PM
    Maybe it thinks its fat?
    10-12-09 04:33 PM
    Man .. only in your device.. ahahah ...
    strange thing happens in BB ..
    10-12-09 04:34 PM
    maybe it violates the patriot act.
    10-12-09 04:34 PM
    hahahahaha i like this post.
    10-12-09 04:36 PM
    hahahaha me too
    10-12-09 04:38 PM
    hahahahaha i like this post.
    Well, a BB is Canadian. BWAHAHAHA!!!
    10-12-09 04:39 PM
    It's just shy

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 04:42 PM
    Thats weird. Just wondering, if you try going into to the security options verifying the security software, does it pass?
    10-12-09 04:43 PM
    PS Kevin, You are wicked awesome.
    10-12-09 04:43 PM
    maybe it violates Canada's anti-terrorism act. either id watch my backs for those mounties.
    10-12-09 04:45 PM
    careful now your gonna scare all the n00bs from loading leaked operating systems
    10-12-09 04:50 PM
    careful now your gonna scare all the n00bs from loading leaked operating systems
    agreed interesting but id have to go along with some sort of security signature or something like everyone else is saying
    10-12-09 04:53 PM
    Either that or CB just set off FBI and NSA database trips for certain words.
    10-12-09 04:55 PM
    kevin, does it come up with any security alerts in the status screen if you type in b u y r ?
    10-12-09 04:59 PM
    Well, think about it this way. If you were just about mature and ready to head out into the world, and YOUR parents didn't even acknowledge you existed, wouldn't you be a little insecure?
    A formal announcement and a couple of launch parties and I bet that banner goes away! )
    10-12-09 05:01 PM
    Maybe it needs a self-help group?

CALLING DR. PHIL...
    10-12-09 05:39 PM
    Well, think about it this way. If you were just about mature and ready to head out into the world, and YOUR parents didn't even acknowledge you existed, wouldn't you be a little insecure?
    A formal announcement and a couple of launch parties and I bet that banner goes away! )
    Especially when they made such a fuss over your older sibling
    10-12-09 05:59 PM
    Here is a thought....maybe it means its not attached to a BIS or BES and is running "unlocked"
    10-12-09 06:01 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD