I asked this in another thread, but I'm afraid of hijacking that thread so I'll start a new one.

What is the difference between "Silent" and "All Alerts Off" modes? It seems like it's 2 names for the same thing.
    10-12-09 08:08 AM
    I "think" (and I stress the word think because I am not sure it is written anywhere - I even checked the manual) that silent will turn of all audible alerts but will let LED and vibrations still occur while all alerts off turns off everything.
    10-12-09 08:12 AM
    Hmmm... ok, then.

Not that I don't believe you or trust you (honest!), but does anybody have a for-sure response?
    10-12-09 11:47 AM
    phone doesn't vibrate when placed on silent mode
    10-12-09 12:15 PM
    I have had my tour vibrate in the "Silent" mode. I would set it "Silent" at night while it was charging and mine still vibrated. I now set it to "All alerts off" to completely silent the phone.
    10-12-09 01:40 PM
    All alerts off is just that, kills everything even the LED. Silent the LED still flashes for notification.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-09 02:06 PM
    I still get LED notifications even when I use all alerts off. I use it every day at school because I hate when other peoples phones vibrate the table constantly during class lol.
    10-12-09 03:18 PM
    I agree. That always drives me nuts when peoples phones vibrate when I'm trying to work.
    10-12-09 03:26 PM
    What sucks is if you are using BerryBuzz it takes over and if you set it to all alerts off the led will still come on.
    10-12-09 03:32 PM
    I would guess that "alll alerts" kills the alarm clock too, whereas "silent" does not.
    10-12-09 03:42 PM
    What sucks is if you are using BerryBuzz it takes over and if you set it to all alerts off the led will still come on.
    That must be it...as I have BerryBuzz. The LED doesn't bother me though. I like knowing I have something new without the buzz buzz buzz constantly.

I would guess that "alll alerts" kills the alarm clock too, whereas "silent" does not.
    Well...we could find out...

EDIT: I am in no way asking mciriello to stay the night with me so we can find out if all alerts off disables the alarm and then possibly oversleeping. That was in no way my intention. Seriously. LOL
    10-12-09 03:53 PM
    I use my Tour to record audio lectures (I teach online), and I have to put it on "all alerts off," or it pauses my recording when something comes in!

I discovered this much to my dismay when I recorded what I thought was a 30 minute lecture, and found out that 12 minutes in, I'd gotten a text message and it had stopped recording!

I haven't tried recording a message with it on silent, so I don't know if it would pause it, but I figured that "all alerts off" would keep *anything* from interrupting, whereas silent might let stuff interrupt, but just not make any noise.
    10-13-09 09:28 AM
    I use my Tour to record audio lectures (I teach online), and I have to put it on "all alerts off," or it pauses my recording when something comes in!

I discovered this much to my dismay when I recorded what I thought was a 30 minute lecture, and found out that 12 minutes in, I'd gotten a text message and it had stopped recording!
    For something this important that takes such priority, why not turn the radio off? If I'm not mistaken, when you restore, you'll receive any/all texts and emails, along with VM notifications.
    10-13-09 10:33 AM
    i think this also, but im not sure.
    10-13-09 11:47 AM

I haven't tried recording a message with it on silent, so I don't know if it would pause it, but I figured that "all alerts off" would keep *anything* from interrupting, whereas silent might let stuff interrupt, but just not make any noise.
    I agree with another poster. If its that critical either kill the radio, or buy a $10 digital tape recorder...

10-13-09 03:24 PM
    hmmmmm.....so still no firm answer?? crazy....
    11-04-09 12:34 AM
    hmmmmm.....so still no firm answer?? crazy....
    Here is what I found while browsing the Blackberry Help webpage.

* To receive LED notification only, click Silent.
    * To receive vibrate notification only, click Vibrate Only.
    * To turn off all notification, including ring tones and notifications for specific contacts and LED notification, click All Alerts Off.

Hope it helps!
    11-19-09 09:43 AM
    "All Alerts Off" still lets your alarm clock go off... I use it nightly. just doesnt light up the screen or flash the led when i get an email or any other notification.
    11-19-09 06:17 PM
    If your Profiles aren't working as expected, make new ones with Custom Profiles. The Tour has some issues with Profiles not working correctly.
    11-22-09 08:54 PM
    I know for a fact that my Tour will make sound when in silent mode for specially altered ring tones. But, when the phone is in "all alerts off" mode no sound or vibration occurs.
    11-22-09 09:24 PM
    My Blackberry notification is not working at all. It doesn't matter which notification option we use (loud, whatever), we get nothing. No ring-tone, vibrate, zip. How can we at least get a ring tone?

Yours in desparation,

mickel
    12-02-09 05:32 PM
    Alarms aren't a part of the other notfications. Alarms are assumed to be of such importance that they will go off no matter what. If you have BerryBuzz loaded I would image that could also interfere with standard BB profiles - after all, the OS was not designed with BerryBuzz in mind.
    12-02-09 06:23 PM
    My Blackberry notification is not working at all. It doesn't matter which notification option we use (loud, whatever), we get nothing. No ring-tone, vibrate, zip. How can we at least get a ring tone?

Yours in desparation,

mickel
    Try setting your sound alerts or creating a custom alert sequence USING THE HOME SCREEN SOUND ICON (click on it) instead of the sound category in options. For some reason, this doesn't work, but the home screen sound icon does work.

12-02-09 06:34 PM
    I am a Blackberry Bold 9700 User

Here is the biggest difference and the reason why I love my blackberry

1) set a certain ringtones for a contact and set the phone to "play sound" - "Always" for that particular contact

***Setting your phone to "silent" will allow that particular contact's call to you to still ring.

***Setting your phone to "All Alerts Off" will prevent ALLLLL calls from coming through including the contact you set to Always ring.

in other words this method can be used as a whitelist / blacklist method that some App companies charge for. if you would like your boss, wife, daughter, mother, brother to be able to contact you then set them to Always ring and set your phone to silent... that way your mistress cant get through. On the other hand if you would like to also not be able to receive calls from everyone in the world... set it to All alerts off.

-Good Evening Gentleman. I said Good Evening!
    01-06-10 03:12 AM
    i posted the very same question in the tour forum and yes, what was said is the LED is disabled when on All Alerts Off and when on Silent the LED still will blink for new msgs
    01-07-10 11:27 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD